Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Used servos-how to check??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 02:14 AM
Rio1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used servos-how to check??

I'm assembling a new1/4 scale Sig Extra and I want to use the same servos from the Extra that I had previously crashed. What is a good method to make sure that these used servos are still good? Should I just open the case and make sure that all the gear teeth are OK and not chipped or is there a way to check them without opening the case? Any danger in opening upa servo? The servos are Hitec 605BB.
Thanks
Old 01-17-2003, 02:52 AM
BPKlein
My Feedback: (1)

I would open the servos and check for broken gears. If one gear is missing one tooth you may not feel it when you operate the servo by hand. But, if that one loose gear tooth gets jambed in the other gears it could cause mucho gear damage and possibly jam the servo and cost you a plane. Opening a servo is easy. Just remove the 4 screws and then lift the top of the case off. (slowly) After the servo is open, you will be able to see all of the gears. Just unstack them and set them in order on your workbench. Now examine them one at a time for broken teeth. Keep in mind that you may not find a tooth broken off all the way, but it could be cracked. Cheap insurance would be to replace the gear sets in all of the servos. The nylon gears in a 605 are about 3 bucks a set. While you are at the hobby shop, get some servo gear lube for your new gears.

Bryan
Old 01-17-2003, 03:24 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default It's Not For Everyone, But

I wouldn't be without my HiTech servo programmer. I don't own any HiTech servos, but the testing that is possible makes it worth it's weight...
Old 01-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Rio1

Thanks for the tips guys! ServoCity sells nylon or metal gear sets for the 605BB servo. Should I upgrade to metal???
Thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 11:43 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Quarter Scale

On a plane that size I would use the nylon. Metal are actually a hassle as far as slop and wear. That is my experience anyway_bob
Old 01-18-2003, 05:18 PM
Rio1

OK, I'll go with the nylon gears.
I'm learning this process as we speak and was just wondering when I go to replace the gears, do they install one certain way or is there some kind witness mark that has to be lined up on one or more of the gears in order for them to sinc together?
For practice, I took apart one of my servo's gears and then put them back in the case and all worked well so I figure there wasn't a specific mark to line up.
Thanks