Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Older AM radios

Old 01-18-2003, 09:01 AM
boxbeam
My Feedback: (188)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Older AM radios

Can older AM radios of the early 90's(?) still be used today IF they can be converted over to the narrowband set up? Not sure of age of radio. but will say maybe early 90's.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 01-18-2003, 11:36 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default What Radio Is It

With the low cost of entry level systems these days, you may be close to spending the same money to upgrade that old equipment by the time you buy batteries and associated hardware etc. Not a great way to make friends with the flyers at your local field either. Do you fly now, and are you an AMA member?
Old 01-18-2003, 11:06 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default radio

What brand of radio are you talking about? All radios from 90 on had to be narrow band. Mid 80's radios also were made narrow but not all you'll have to check and there is no problem with using AM radios as long as they are updated to narrow or were narrow to start with
Old 01-19-2003, 12:03 AM
boxbeam

Default Older AM radios

This was a radio that came as part of a package deal of RC things. Couldn't find out the year from the owner, it was a Futaba. If the radio is FCC legal, why would the guys at field be concerned over it? Thanks.

Ron
Old 01-19-2003, 12:36 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Radio

Bacause half the guys at the fields today are new and don't have a clue on radios when and why they were changed and updated. What Fut radio is it look for a name and how many channels what color is the TX is it FM or AM. Tower will not update older sets so you might have to send it to Kraft Midwest Pete will do what you neeed to pass it
Old 01-19-2003, 12:47 AM
boxbeam

Default Older AM radios

Like I say, it was just an older one, of the AM band. Nowadays it is all the FM Narrowband. Would not be worth doing. Just being part of group of merchandise that I thought I might buy. I use airtronics, so I try to keep everything in the same line. I was just getting out of the hobby when the 1991 radios where just coming out. So there have been a lot of changes while I was gone, I have an old airtronics fm that was pre 1991, but I can buy a new one cheaper, than to do all the maintenence on it, and replace the batteries, etc.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:11 AM
strato911

Default Older AM radios

You don't need to know the model year, just the model number, then check with Futaba's FAQ on this matter:

"Please explain narrow band to me. How do I know if my transmitter is legal to use? Can I get it upgraded if it is not? Is my receiver safe to use?" http://www.futabarc.com/faq/service-faq.html#q41

One of my radios is still an old AM Futaba Attack T4NBL. Keep in mind, just because the Transmitter is narrow band, they were sometimes shipped with a wide band Receiver. This will still work (and is legal), but the receiver will be susceptible to interference from neighbouring channels.