Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
70.59%
No
29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Transmitter PC interface

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:49 AM
brad-a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter PC interface

Who would like the ability to set up thier radio through a computer interface as the next feature in Radios

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4941397
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Transmitter PC interface

Nope

I do the initial setup with my airplane in front of me so it would be impracticle....

then I start working on everything else at the field...
take a quick flight, land.. make any changes then do it again, etc. etc. etc.

flash card might be nice to share...but computer setup doesn't seem practicle for me
Old 11-01-2006, 09:17 AM
brad-a

Why would you think you could not set it up using the computer inteface and not have the plane in front of you.

Using the computer would give you a grafic of the plane and the settings could be spelled out in plain language instead of using confusing abbreviations.
Instead of trying to navigate the radio screen and scolling etc to get to different settings all the settings etc would be on one screen on your computer and simply click on the area you want to set up.
No searching no scrolling no confusion.
If the interface was that easy using the radio they would not need to write books on how to use the program functions and how to get to them.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:55 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Welll.... as far as I know multiplex has been doing it for a number of years....

Yes....I am a multiplex user now (newbie) and I like it more than the others as far as setup, upgrades and capabilities
Old 11-01-2006, 12:55 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Eerr! |I have been able to do that for the last decade
Old 11-01-2006, 05:47 PM
brad-a

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

And what radio would that be. I don,t see where it can be done with any radio including multiplex
Old 11-01-2006, 06:05 PM
nuttzzy34

Ive hooked up my trans to my pc but for some reason just dosent give the rush the real plane gives HOWEVER if you screw up on the pc your plane isnt smashed (experiance at this) but its part of learning what but ive been playing sims for a while now with my transmitter but i still get it confused ALOT do yall know if there is a modified transmitter or a way to hook a joystick to your transmitter in order to just use the joy stick? Ive heard 9 channel transmitters are better and stuff but i wanna keep it simple i can fly a R/C Heli with a joy stick on the computer really well but not transmitter and i was trying to find a way to fly a real R/c with a joystick. let me know if yall have any ideas cause its not fun crashing after 5 min and rebuilding for a month then crashing 5 min again

Excuse the spelling and grammer not good at english Nuttzzy34
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: brad-a

And what radio would that be. I don,t see where it can be done with any radio including multiplex

Brad,

The ACE MicroPro 8000 has been able to do that since about 1992 with the release of level 4 software. You could upload and download setups. You could program them on your PC and then send them down to the transmitter. Some diagnostics were also available too.

However, it is difficult to program a transmitter setup with out the airplane. What directions are your servos going and how much throw do you get for how much you program. These are parameters that can only be done with the plane. The PC functionally while nice and a gee whiz is not real practical.

The ACE capability was valuable for the ability to save your setups offline from the transmitter in case you messed one up and you could get it back. However, if you were at the field and your program was at home on the PC that doesn't do you much good.

When I programmed the MP8K level 5 code, due to memory reorganization, this negated the PC interface. To allow more versatility I developed a module I call the ASAP that you plug into the serial port on the transmitter and you can download and upload your setups. The ASAP module is real small and can be carried in your field box. It has come in handy for me several times.

Yes, it has been done but the result is not really worth the effort.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 PM
brad-a

Nuttzzy34 you missed the point I don,t mean a simulator

iflyj3 However, it is difficult to program a transmitter setup with out the airplane

Why would you not have the airplane. Just be4cause you are using the computer does not mean the plane can not be there.

I must have worded my poll wrong. I am not talking simulators.

Picture this you are sitting with your plane scrolling through the set up screen on your radio trying to understand the abbreviations etc to set your plane up, you do a setting and try the plane.

Why not have a nice graphic interface written in plane english on your computer screen say a laptop and when you program it on the computer it is sent to the transmitter then you test the controls on the plane which would be right there

Which is easier programing your CC speed control listening for beeps or simply using the castle link interface and programing it that way

same idea
Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Weattronics has a similar interface for their reciever...its a good idea.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:41 PM
iflyj3

iflyj3 However, it is difficult to program a transmitter setup with out the airplane

Why would you not have the airplane. Just be4cause you are using the computer does not mean the plane can not be there.

Picture this you are sitting with your plane scrolling through the set up screen on your radio trying to understand the abbreviations etc to set your plane up, you do a setting and try the plane.

Why not have a nice graphic interface written in plane english on your computer screen say a laptop and when you program it on the computer it is sent to the transmitter then you test the controls on the plane which would be right there

Which is easier programing your CC speed control listening for beeps or simply using the castle link interface and programing it that way

same idea
I understand where you are coming from with the easy to use human interface. However, when you get to the field and you need to tweak a control, you have to do it the way the transmitter works at that time, minus the PC interface you have back at home.

I'm at the age I don't like to have to keep learning something new to keep doing the same old job. All of the transmitters program differently to accomplish the same task.

Keep up with your ideas a developments and maybe you will help change the RC transmitter world.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:58 AM
Bagarre

There is no reason why the radio could not be programmed via the radio (the way we do it now) AND via the computer... or Blackberry, or PalmPilot or even an iPod for that matter. The idea is to give us a better interface than a few click buttons and a tiny screen with poor graphics.... unless we want to spend $2,500 on our Tx.

I think this is an incredible idea and I'm amazed that the big radio names havent figured this one out yet.

Does Multiplex allow for this type of configuration?? SwampFlier, your post was deleted in the Futaba forum but I'd like to know more about the Multiplex if it can be programmed via a PC.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:14 AM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: Bagarre

There is no reason why the radio could not be programmed via the radio (the way we do it now) AND via the computer... or Blackberry, or PalmPilot or even an iPod for that matter. The idea is to give us a better interface than a few click buttons and a tiny screen with poor graphics.... unless we want to spend $2,500 on our Tx.

I think this is an incredible idea and I'm amazed that the big radio names havent figured this one out yet.

Does Multiplex allow for this type of configuration?? SwampFlier, your post was deleted in the Futaba forum but I'd like to know more about the Multiplex if it can be programmed via a PC.
You are absolutely correct. However, the market is just not there for such program. Yes, you and a couple of others would use it but that doesn't pay for development cost. For example, look around your field and survey the transmitters being used and ask the owners if they would like PC programming for a couple of hundred dollars. They will say no, I rather have two more flight packs with the same money. With the exception of one 14MZ and a few high end Futaba's and Jr's the 9C is the average type of high end transmitter at my field of 170 members. A lot of members are using 4 to 6 channel non computer type of transmitters.

Couple that with the ease of copying the PC software, you just won't sell that many copies.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Why would you think you could not set it up using the computer inteface and not have the plane in front of you.
Because I am not going to bring an airplane with a 10ft wingspan up from my workshop... through the kitchen, through the living room, through the hall and into my office...
then go down to the shop and get the wings,,, then assemble the airplane, ( which won't fit in my office unless I tilt it on edge) just to set up a few basic things.......

but hey...thats just me
Old 11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Bagarre

I think there is a market for this but people havent been exposed to the possibility yet.

However, the market is just not there for such program. Yes, you and a couple of others would use it but that doesn't pay for development cost. For example, look around your field and survey the transmitters being used and ask the owners if they would like PC programming for a couple of hundred dollars.
Similar arguments have been used against everything from Color TV to the Internet itself. (I'm not trying to cause a flame war. Please dont take it that way) I remember for years, my Dad saying how he had no use for the internet or even a computer.... today, he sends me pictures of his planes from his laptop ( I wonder if he's reading this thread).

Today, application development is cheap to say the least. There is a whole community of developers out there (Open Source) that write very high quality and FREE software. It seems like anything that has an interface has a following of programmers.

True, not everyone has a laptop that they can carry down to their shops but laptop sales are gaining on desktop sales. I certainly dont want to relpace the onboard configuration interface. I just want to have easier options.

The hardware is already in place. Modern Txs are computers. They have memory, an interface and a CPU...which means they already have a method to plug in another computer to program it. Why not open up that interface with a usb jack and let others write the drivers and software?

A PC interface and related software shouldnt cause a $200.00 radio to cost $400.00. I can buy an entire PC today for $500.00. It probobly cost the companies more to build that tiny screen and button interface on their radios than it would to stick a usb jack on the side and document the sys calls.

Just my own $.02 here. Being in the IT industry, I'm surounded by new tech every day and sometimes assume everyone thinks like me Hope I didnt offend anyone. That wasnt my intention.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 AM
iflyj3

Your opinions are well taken. However, being in what now is called IT since 1962 and programming from large main frames to process control computers to micro controllers and now RC transmitters. I do have a little experience in this subject. Aside from the ones that would program for free, the manufacturer is looking at a $50K to $100K cost. It is difficult to recover that cost in this market.

The market for PC's is in the billions. The RC market share compared to the PC is the RC market would not even be the size of one solder blob on a PC mother board.

Just my $.02
Old 11-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Bagarre

However, being in what now is called IT since 1962 and programming from large main frames to process control computers to micro controllers and now RC transmitters. I do have a little experience in this subject.
WOW! I didnt know that about you. I've only been writing software (os based security applications... not even writing drivers let alone microcode) for 7 or 8 years now. from that perspective, your opinions carry much more weight than mine.

Good point about the scale of the market. I wasnt even taking that into consideration Yes, $100k would take a while to recover when you consider how many radios are sold per year. Even still I think it's going to have to happen at some point. It just makes sense dont you think?

I've been reading about the Multiplex radios. It seems they have already done this (I'm still reading).

Cheers
Old 11-02-2006, 10:22 AM
iflyj3

In case you missed my earlier post, ACE had a PC interface for the MicroPro 8000 in 1992 and it is still operational today for level 4 transmitter software.

You had to buy a special TTL to RS232 interface cable and with it you got the software for about $50 total. It didn't take long for interprising people to reverse engineer the interface and it is nothing to copy the software as you know.

ACE sold about 3500 MicroPro 8000's during its run from about 1990 to 1997. I'll bet they didn't sell many copies of the PC interface software. If it was 10% I would be surprised.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:28 AM
Bagarre

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Ace-R-C-Micropro-8000-8-channel-Transmitter_W0QQitemZ260047251431QQcategoryZ2563QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWINQ3aPOST0Q3aRECOQ3aBIDQQcmdZVie wItem]Here is one on Ebay[/link]

Talk about ahead of it's time.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Brad,
Yes you can do this with the Multiplex 4000 providing you have the PC software and the interface lead. Frankly though, whilst it was an interesting thing to try, it was not that practical. In the end you need the model in front of you. The main use for the software was as a back up system.
Regards,

John
Old 11-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Bagarre

I've been checking up on the Multiplex the last few days and the PC connection doesnt do what I want/dream.

I want to transfer all the configuration control that you have from the radio to the PC to be performed real time.
As I change the dual rate on the computer screen, it's also changed in the radio and I see the result on the plane as we do now when we program the radio.

The goal is a much more intuitive (sp?) interface to program with.

No one seems to be able to do this yet.

Being able to back up settings is nice. Being able to update the radio's software is a huge plus.
But no one's got the PC GUI interface to program the radio real time.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:02 PM
radray

It seems the future version of MPM for Multiplex radios may do most of what you are looking for:

"Also, MPM will be able to offer a full editing facility graphically, allowing you to edit assignments, mixing, modes etc and channel signal routing (depending on your transmitter’s features). MPM will also offer a transmitter mimic. The mimic will show the transmitter and allow you to move the sticks and switches. It will also show the channel servo outputs (either as bar graphs, percentages or as a servo arm) so you can visually check the stick to output function."

http://www.denveralde.com/mpm/Overview.htm

Currently I use it for backup/restore only, but it could be fun to experiment with some more complicated mixes on the PC especially with the Multiplex 4000 which allows more flexible programming and assignments than any other radio today.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:20 AM
bnrusso

I would like to download the planes for the day that I'd be taking to the field.
My current hitec optic 6 only has 8 model memories. I wish there was a way to offload them to a file in my PC.

The only other thing I would think this would help is very course setup of a given aircraft type.
I say course because you would need a database of engines, servos, servo arms, servo arm hole distances, angles, control horns, belcranks,... to be able to setup the throws, directions and limits.
a course check for flaps, couplings, mixes, elevons,...etc. might be possible but directions checks and limits would still have to be setup for each model on the model itself.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:25 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

I was wrong in that the current multiplex software only downloads or uploads tx info and model settings ot does not program from the PC, however its; in the works as MPX4000 mentions. ALso I found a modeller that did a program to "program" multiplex radios from a PC but the software is in German.. will updte on this
Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Bagarre

Thanks.
I'd be interested in a link to the software you mentioned that is in German.
perhaps we could get them to compile it in English (or I can find someone that reads german).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.