Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1.5 Volt AA Batteries in Tx???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:17 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.5 Volt AA Batteries in Tx???

Hello all, I ran across some high capacity AA batteries and on a whim, decided to buy them, along with an 8 cell battery holder at Radio Shack, as pictured below.

The battery holder has 9 volt style snap connectors on one end and these mate up perfectly with two tabs in the battery compartment of my Tx, a Hitec Eclipse.

Here is a pic of the assemble pack.

My trusty volt meter reads 13.04 volts when attached to this pack. The question is whether or not the Tx can handle the additional voltage. A fully charged nicad pack reads in the vicinity of 11 volts or so. Will 13 volts fry my transmitter?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1.5 Volt AA Batteries in Tx???

Most, if not all, radio systems were designed to be able to handle 1.5V dry cells (vs. 1.2V rechargeable NiCd/NiMh), so the short answer is yes, your transmitter should be able to work just fine. The downside is that you will only get a couple of hours use, then they will have to be replaced (they do not look to be rechargeable type).

Buy a good 1000 or 2000 maH rechargeable pack for about $20 or less. They are available in many of these 'forums' ( I will not endorse any specific one). THey will last about 3-5 years with proper care. Buying dry cells for every outing will put you in the poor house, and you will never really know the true status of your batteries - until the Tx stops transmitting.[&o]
Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 PM
JustErik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NF,

Thanks for the info. I actually have a rechargeable pack already. It serves me well, but I still find myself running low sometimes. My intent with the dry cells was to tuck them away for temporary "emergency" use until I can recharge the nicad pack. I'm happy to hear this won't cause a problem.

Thanks again!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you find yourself running low, you must be flying a LOT in one day. Ok, get yourself a fast field charger. You can charge your tx and rx from your car battery in about 30 minutes. A good investment is the Hobbico AccuCycle Elite. You can use it at home plugged into the wall (via the supplied power supply), or at the field via the supplied alligator clips to your car battery or flight box 12V battery. It will cost you about $135 - but... I just bought one new in the box on EBay for $75. Shop around. Good luck.