Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

giant scale with fm reciever

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 07:42 PM
btk113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giant scale with fm reciever

can i use a fm signal with my giant scale plane. i have a 27% extra 300 with a bryson 3.2 and i would like to know if i could fly it with an fm signal. i have the hitec eclipse 7 transmitter.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Be sure to keep the receiver components away from the ignition components and do a good range check with the engine running.

By the way, what Extra is this? I have a 27% Midwest Extra almost ready with the same engine.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:19 PM
btk113

300s 80in wing span................ the reciever is at the back and the ignition will be in the front cowl. (do you think that might work?)
Old 01-22-2003, 11:36 PM
FHHuber
Banned

FM as opposed to what? The only other choice is AM... and I wouldn't recommend AM at all.
If you are saying FM as in compared to "PCM"... you probably mean PPM instead of FM. PPM and PCM are signal encoding schemes. PPM is an analog signal and PCM is a digital signal with a computer in the receiver.

The advantage of PCM is in the programmable failsafe settings. But the failsafes are only worth something if you 1) program them in a logical manner based on the aircraft (always idle or turn off throttle) 2) the system gets interference causing the RX to not be able to interpret the TX signal. NOTHING protects vs loss of electric power to the RX. (dual batteries and so forth are worthless if you don't charge them. )
Then there's the possibility you meant you were wondering if you needed to go to the HAM bands... nope. Though it doesn't hurt to go to a HAM frequency if you have the licence. Usually less chance of someone else being on the same frequency.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:12 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Originally posted by fhhuber
FM as opposed to what? The only other choice is AM... and I wouldn't recommend AM at all.
If you are saying FM as in compared to "PCM"... you probably mean PPM instead of FM. PPM and PCM are signal encoding schemes. PPM is an analog signal and PCM is a digital signal with a computer in the receiver.

The advantage of PCM is in the programmable failsafe settings.
That's until Multiplex came out with the IPD receivers which are not PCM and are full failsafe programable.

But the failsafes are only worth something if you 1) program them in a logical manner based on the aircraft (always idle or turn off throttle) 2) the system gets interference causing the RX to not be able to interpret the TX signal. NOTHING protects vs loss of electric power to the RX. (dual batteries and so forth are worthless if you don't charge them. )
Then there's the possibility you meant you were wondering if you needed to go to the HAM bands... nope. Though it doesn't hurt to go to a HAM frequency if you have the licence. Usually less chance of someone else being on the same frequency.