Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Advice on Servos 1.2/1.4 size plane

Old 12-05-2006, 03:00 AM
avf
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Servos 1.2/1.4 size plane

Hello all,
I am planning to go for a 1.2/1.4 3D plane with an AuW of 12lbs or so. As I make my list of stuff I want to know what are best servos in terms of cost i can use.

Dont want to go overboard at all. Want reliable and tested servos that are the cheapest usable.

Thanks for all the advice

AVF
Old 12-05-2006, 12:58 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Advice on Servos 1.2/1.4 size plane

The Hitec 5645MG's are an excellent choice if you are looking for performance vs. cost. They are well proven and sell for about $55ea.

Mike
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

costwise- the new JRSport series are excellent - the 125 is a metal gear train and gear slop on the ones I have been running - remains zero - even after switching from the Funtana to the 33% EDGE 125 inchounces of torque
these go over the counter for about 35 bucks
On that size plane - they are really overkill -- the new JR digitals are about same money - less torque but terrific center and smoothness - special plastic gear train-
Frankly the servos available all over the market for 35 bucks or so are far far better than the 100 dollar stuff of just a few years back
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 PM
avf
Banned

$55 is really expensive especially coming from 4 servos for $55

Dick can those JR servos be used with Futaba ?

Thx
AVF
Old 12-05-2006, 10:25 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

will they fit the connectors?
yes
Some JR servos have very tight dead band and if used on Y's with one reverser and some other setups - they can get antsy but if the system is properly laid out - the $30.00 MAP price 821 -for example should perform properly . These have 72 inch ounces of torque at 4.8 v and are far better than servos we used in much larger aerobatic competition models in the 1990's
40 inch ounce was the standard then
For your size model - these should work even with fairly extreme throws.
I use 5 cell rx packs which boost power - 15%- roughly
Most setups where servo power and performance is bad - are simply not properly setup .
By using full servo rotation and well operating control linkages (not expensive - just smooth no binding ) servos with lower advertised power can do extremely well .