Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

1/4 scale servoes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:41 PM
p.j

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 scale servoes

Hi all. I will be building my first gas powered plane this winter , a BUSA 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup. Since I have only had 40 & 60 size planes before I am not sure what size servos I will need for the Pup. I would like to use JR equipment if I could as I have had excellent results with there servos in the past. So if you have any experience with WW1 1/4 scale planes I would appreciate any suggestions you my have.

Thanks P.J
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 1/4 scale servoes

Since these planes don't fly all that fast, there's not much force required to move the control surface against the slipstream. Standard servos will work on these planes fine. I don't know the JR models, but something like a Futaba 3001 is okay, a 9001 is better (coreless, a bit more torque, but more expensive). Also, the 9001's aren't recommended for NiMH batteries due to current draw requirements.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:04 AM
XJet
Banned

I wouldn't recommend the use of standard sevos on a 1/4scale plane.

They may fly slow but the surfaces are large and the effect of the propwash on the rudder and elevator can be enough to overload a 50oz/in servo.

It's also a good idea to consider using metal-geared servos on 1/4 scale machines. The vibrations from larger engines tend to put a lot of stress on nylon gears and that can cause problems.

Something like a Hitec HS645 would be fine and relatively cheap ($35) -- I'm sure Futaba has an equivalent metal geared 100oz-in (or better) servo for a reasonable price.

Keep your standard servos for those 40-60 sized ships.

Oh, and modern NiMH packs are more than up to the task of running heavy-duty servos. Futaba's warning is a bit out dated. Just make sure you stay away from those ultra-high capacity AAA and AA packs. Go for a 2/3A pack and you can get 1400mAH that will handle 20A of draw (about five times what you're likely to see) with ease. Another benefit of the 2/3A packs is that they take a fast-charge very nicely. 20 minutes from flat to full means you can fly all day if you take your field-charger.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I disagree.
I have a Weeks special powered with a G45 that I have been flying since 1997 with standard servos. Two of the servos are aileron servos on the bottom wing that work the ailerons on the top wing as well.
I don't recall if stronger servos were available when this was built but the standard servos work just fine.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:17 PM
avionette

example

for 1/4 sopwith pup aileron what hitec or futaba servos i 'll put?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

You also have the JR ST 126mg at 126oz with 4.8 volts. They are in a standard size case. Dennis