Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Carbon fibre fus -- interference

Old 01-28-2003, 06:53 AM
francois118

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fibre fus -- interference

I bought a plane (2x2) where the fus is reinforced with carbon fiber till about 10 cm behind the wing. The RX antenna comes out at the bottom of the fus and extends for about 20cm.

Will the carbon fiber have any influence or interfere with reception ?

Please help, I don't want to damage the plane do to setup.

Thanks

Francois
Old 01-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

the CF will block the signal, there are some that say this is rubbish.
I had a glider with a CF boom, the aerial ran from the fuz to the tail, when the glider was at certain angles i'd loose contact, i ran the aerial out to the wing tip and the problem went away.
running the aeiral out the bottom seams best because the plane is always above you. do an extensive ground check before you fly
Old 01-28-2003, 08:06 PM
onewasp

Carbon fiber is a good conductor. Point two, a conductor (like a metal) IS an RF shield!

I have a CAP with pull-pull rudder of stainless leader material and two carbon fiber pushrods on a split elevator. My antenna, (all my antennas) exit behind the canopy and go to the top of the rudder. No problems I am aware of in any attitude. My pushrod resistance measures 3 Ohms --- so yes they are GOOD conductors ---- and consequently also RF shields.

Would I do it again ---- pull-pull yes, carbon fiber pushrods no ! Simply too much cross section for potential interference (shielding) of the antenna for my liking.

I have a friend with a giant P51D (21 HP twin in line for power, running electronic ignition) covered in .004 aluminum . His antenna exits as does mine, immediately behind the canopy to the top of the vertical stabilizer, He has no discernible RF problems!
Is it a good idea ----NO! Does he get away with it, Yes!

Take your pick or ask some of the current 2 meter pattern fliers for their opinion on Carbon fiber --- it may be an acceptable risk.

I don't like to do something I know has a large downside potential but many seem to get away with it .
Old 01-28-2003, 10:33 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

for the same reason i never understand why the Dusts aerial is in a loop in the wing where the LE can hide it during a pass...