Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX7 Display Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 12:17 PM
onewasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX7 Display Issues

CGRet.

My 10X once gave me a blank screen ------ my DX7 is still performing beautifully.
Perhaps it is just like our computers ------ occasionally a start up requires a reboot.

Boys will be boys and computers will be computers(''))
Old 01-11-2007, 06:14 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: orlbuzz

OK Guys and Gals,

Legitimate complaint (my mom's deceased and I'm 62 yrs young). I fly a Blade CP Pro with my DX7 and nothing else. While flying and making adjustments today, I turned the Rx. on and the display was UPSIDE DOWN ! (not hollering, just emphasizing) I turned it off and on again and it was fine after that.

orlbuzz
Balony. Pure & simple. If you've ever done any programming to drive a dot matrix LCD display, you would know this too. Dream up another one and see if it passes the smell test.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:01 PM
orlbuzz

I know I saw what I saw. Then I started doubting my (beginning of cataracts) eyes. Then, when talking with a friend, he pointed me to these posts in another forum.

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t307390p1/

Look down to drdot's post, and cptsnoopy, and tauscnc.

I have seen someone mention in this thread that some people with unbelieveable problems post them here and then dissappear. Maybe they do that simply because they don't want to argue about what they know to be true. Maybe they are untrue. I don't know about them, but I know what I saw, and I no longer doubt my old eyes on this issue. I will not argue the point. I posted originally simply to share information. If it happens again, I will definately try to get a picture (I don't have a digital camera). Of course, someone could then just accuse me of doctoring the picture.

orlbuzz
AMA 582235
Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

There have been too many people reporting this EXACT problem for it to be a figment of someone's imagination. 1 guy saying it happened, 2, maybe, but the number that have is impossible to ignore. It is clearly possible, and is happening. Doesn't seem to effect the use of the radio, turning it off and on again fixes it. Not only that, but people have reported it happening with the 7202 as well, so it obviously isn't one guy making things up.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:26 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

fire up the photoshop
Old 01-12-2007, 03:39 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 AM
the dog

ok, mine wasnt a display problem. it is a switch problem i think. the other day i was i guess 20 feeetfrom my raptor and it locked me out. it went to preset settings and leveled out and then slowly wandered backwards towards the house. it scared the crap out of me. i thought i was gonna lose it against the house or something. anyway it actually landed in the snow. about 2 foot of powder. luckily nothing was wrong. so i checked all batteries and all were full still. well then i decide to check next day thinking it was just a freak deal, well now the tx says that the flight mode switch is on other than the normal flight mode. i pulled back off and checked all wires, all looks good. i tried all the switches just in case a hundred times but no matter what position it is in it still says the flight mode switch is on. i cant handle that beeping anymore. so i guess i have to send it in monday. so i guess no heli for me for a few weeks. im not really impressed. i am now untrusting of the radio.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:04 AM
n3cal
My Feedback: (2)

I inspected the inside of my radio today and found the solder workmanship to be fairly poor. Of particular intrest was a few cold solder joints, a "solder splash" on the small pc board where the battery connects and also a "solder ball" laying on the display board. Please see attached picture. Excess solder roaming around inside a TX is not good! It is possible this could be the cause of so many odd problems. The solder ball was large enough to short out two pins on the diplay IC. The second picture is of the pc board that has the fuse on it. It has a "solder ball" also.

Best Regards,

Cal

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10854.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	598202   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11401.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	598203  
Old 01-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Newc

The above internal issues aren't limited to the Spektrum radios. I remember reading in RC Report a number of years ago where Pete Waters - their writer on electronics then, owner of Kraft Midwest and Frequency Coordinator for AMA, to give his credentials - went through similar issues with all brands of Tx. At that time he suggested that what n3cal did be done by all on all new Txs.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Carpilot

These issues are not just limited to RC equipment either, virtually ANY Mass produced electronics will have a certain amount of ploblems like this. I have personaly seen it in home electronics, computer electronics, and ham radio equipment in brands from A to Z. I worked in the industry for several years and saw many many problems that were easily fixed with a soldering iron.

the last I knew the industry standard was a pretty low failure rate in the single digit percentile (less than 5%)

It's fine to demand higher quality than the rest of the industry as long as we realize that there will be an added cost element for that "higher quality".
Old 03-30-2007, 12:09 AM
tsague
My Feedback: (11)

I purchased my DX7 12/23/06 and two extra receivers. All three rx. working fine till last sat. Plane flew first time great. Flew with a student, then went to fly it second time, crashed. (Nothing worked). Checked the battery after crashed, it showed 4.88 volts under .5 load with JR meter. Tx. showed 10.6 volts on screen. Next day, got second plane out, nothing worked period. Had to rebind, then worked and range checked, ok. Took chance and flew. All ok. Called JR Monday, sent rx. and tx. back to them Tuesday. They said they will look at both. What worries me, could the first plane lost bind in air and crashed? Why did second plane the next day not work till I rebinded. I have taken the third rx. out of plane and replanced with JR rx. and using my JR 9303. Any suggestions.....
Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Just curious...was your receiver the AR7000?

Bud
Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 AM
kiwiwilliamson

I have a different problem with my DX7, trimed my model in flight a bit off down elev, next flight had to do the same thing again on closer inspection i found when i turned the Tx off then on the trims reset themselves and the down timer dissapeared rebinding didn't fix the trim prob but the downtimer seems ok now , I have this prob on all my models in the DX7 rrrrrrr any ideas.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
krfsebasti

Well i am relieveled to find somebody else that had the same problem as i experienced a couple of weeks ago. I purchased a Dx7 about eight months ago when one of my planes went down due to signal lose from a hitec flash 5 set that i stated flying with and did not have any problems till that fatal day. So researching the Dx7 was the new genaration clitch free radio and was very impressed and very happy with the radio once i had baught it. I put the set in a Groovy 90 3A and had eleven flights preparing for a pattern competion and was very satisfied with the overall package. Sunday morning last manuver of the pattern sequence the outside loop the airplane snaped and spiraled the terra firm with no control from my side what so ever SPLAT............... Very upset about what had happened i recovered all the radio gear to try and find out what went wrong ... no sucess battery showes 5.1 volts and the load meter showed medium. The only logical explination is the radio lost signal with the plane but why..............

Can anybody baby give me an explination?

Regards
[]
KrfSebasti
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Bob Shultz
My Feedback: (117)

Flyiing both last week end and today, My DX7 lost signal with an AR6000 in my Katana @ about 40' then spiraled into the ground. Picked up everything and then tested again, all worked ok. Today flying my new RCM Funster with AR7000, same thing happened. Both planes had been range checked with no problems. Both planes were being flown on fully charge batteries in both the plane and TX. After checking other planes that I took to fly and everything checking ok, I decided to try for three. Flew 7 more flights with no problems on two different planes. I will be calling Horizon in the morning. The problem appears to be with a fully charged battery in the transmitter and not in the receivers. I have been flying the DX7 for about 8 months now and can look back at some other problems that now I believe were the same. The problems a couple or three months back I was flying low aerbatics and blamed my self. Should have known better as I have been flying RC planes for about 28 years now.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:19 PM
krfsebasti

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the information now i don't feel so stupid and alone. Being in South Africa it is so difficult to contact the right people to find out about a problem, could you kindly let me know what they say about this problem we are expierencing with this wonderful set.

Regards
KrfSebasti.

Ps Sorry to hear about the loss of your aircraft.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:52 AM
kiwiwilliamson

Sent mine back they sent me a new one .No probs with the new one except turned on once and screen was scrambled, only happened once and was very hot day. What ya reckon.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 PM
rcwalker6880

You might want to pull the back of the transmitter and verify that the antena is plugged into the RF board. Mine was not. Even though the range check was pretty good, it lost signal at any real distance.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I must be lucky. The only TX I have ever had a problem with was the old COX SANWA, (now airtronics), back in the 70,s. I have owned dozens of TX's including a number of computer radios with lcd screens.

I did have a ceramic filter crack in a Futaba RX.

I have a new Futaba 12FG with the 2.4 module, haven't used it yet, (weather), wish me luck.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:49 AM
luciopassos

Hi guys, I am having issues with my Spektrum DX7 model 2 , My first time, I put to charge an when I turned on, scrren was blanket and I don't know what happened. Please , help me.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:37 PM
lonewulf

Hello everyone, I need some advise on the DX7. I received a complete set as a present recently and I am quite interested in trying it out. I am currently using a JR 9XII and do not have any complaints whatsover.

The problem here is that the DX7 was purchased in Mode 2 setup. Obviously, the person who got it for me couldn't tell the difference. I assumed that it would be as simple as transfering the gimbal spring as I did on my 9XII, however it is not. Although the springs can be swapped, the software does not allow a user to choose between mode 1 and 2. I have read the manual and it does not give any instructions on changing of modes.

I can't get it exchanged at a local hobby shop here cause it was purchased overseas. Would really appreciate any feedback or advise.

Thank you.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
goplug

I have the 7 system.
My only cmplaint is that I find the overall display is too dim and hard to read in direct sunlight. I also have the 6i system. Same thing.

Jim
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
daisy shoot

here are my pics, video soon to follow. Maybe me, maybe radio....i'm out a good mojo anyway[:@]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12756.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1364600  
Old 11-21-2010, 12:56 PM
orlbuzz

daisy shoot,

that's interesting,

your display is reversed and upside down. Here are the images I shot today, three years after I first had a problem. My display is only reversed, this time.

What is also interesting is that I didn't notice as I shot, but the display corrected itself as I was shooting with the cellphone. As I did last time three years ago, I turned the Tx. off and on again and everything was as it should be, though now I see that it it corrected itself before I turned it off.

daisy shoot, what do you meant you're out a good mojo? Did yours not correct itself when you turned it off? If it didn't, Horizon/Spektrum should make it right.

I have used mine for the three, almost four, intervening years without a problem, and this is the first time it has occurred since the first time.

orlbuzz
Old 11-21-2010, 11:24 PM
daisy shoot

The plane I was flying at the time was a mojo. It went in, hard. Wasn't high up, maybe 20 feet trying to learn torque rolls. She flipped and spun into the ground. I handed the tx off to my spotter, I was so dumbfounded, I know the inputs I put in would not cause that to happen. He looked at the radio and was amazed. Horizon told me that the screen has nothing to do with the inner workings of the tx, and to send it in, but if they can't reproduce the problem they can't fix it. After the off and on (a dozen times) and countless range checks it seemed fine. I flew one plane after that incident, a goldberge edge 540 w/os 1.60. 6 volt Jr batt plus capacitor and got a lock out....another totaled plane. No more spektrum for me. Won't even fly a friends plane on spektrum. Got an aurora 9zero issues. Kept the radio around for a bit, ended up pretty much giving it away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.