Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Nomadio FULL Range 2.4Ghz aircraft radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:52 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nomadio FULL Range 2.4Ghz aircraft radio

Hope it wasn't too mean sounding - just a little Sunday morning wake up.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
atvracer
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there Nomadio

Looks very nice so far do you have any rough estimat on a time frame? this fall or 08-09? I was thinking of getting xps for now if yours wont be out for some time for my 10x’s heli and planes but if your could be out soon summer or fall I’ll wait

thanks
atvracer
Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, slicing and dicing sounds good to me Not looking forward to the tearing at the crotch thing though[:'(]
Old 01-07-2007, 12:04 PM
hangflug_ch

it's too great to be true - thank you Karlton. I'm for the moment totally satisfied with my 2 Futaba top-end-radios, but what pisses me off is that some kiddie could arrive somewhere near me and shoot me down with my expensive, self-built high-end-planes. So I'll switch to that system as soon as it gets out.
Do you also offer a developer-kit, so that users could program their own plug-ins and share them in a community? Just offer the classes one can use (sound, alarms, vibra, radio- and telem.-inputs etc.)!

I hope you won't be using poties in the radio no more. And I do hope that the electric/mechanical design of the radio is robust (for example, Futaba radios are known for a cable from the "flying" poti in the sticks to the boards to brake after a long time of use - means you'll either not have control of your throttle or elevator. This is very poor designed, and to me it doesn't matter wether I crash because of such a failure or because of a lost rf-link - I just crashed.

Thanks,
Raphael
Old 01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Nomadio_Sales

I cant give a time frame because I have been watching how people on this forum have been blasting XtremeLink and want no part of that bash fest. Sooner or later I bet people start bashing over here when they do we stop posting here and just go on with development and release. It takes time to get production going but we want and need honest input so here we are putting on the table our thoughts and ideas and hope to gain from the pilots what they want.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Ken6PPC

I'm looking forward to the release of this product as well. I'll stop short of promising that I will buy one, but I probably will!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Nomadio_Sales

One thing to remember here is we are making only radios not RF decks which are much easier to do then a new radio and a new radio line. If we had wanted to we could have made RF decks and already been out to market but why have an analog radio and digital RF deck? Or why have a digital RF deck and not be able to get the max out of the system?

50Hz frame rate that is out right now is not going to cut it for demanding pilots.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:36 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd sell a million modules quick though!!!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Van

This all sounds very interesting. I really look forward to what you come up with. With my current Spektrum systems, DX7 and EvoDX, I'm set for now, but could certainly see selling stuff off for this system if it comes out as good as it sounds (though a version a bit cheaper than $900 would certainly be appreciated).

I can understand you wanting to blow the other high-end radios out of the water with better, faster, less expensive (almost said cheaper[:@]) system. After you've got that market share, please remember there are lots more of us 'average sport fliers' out there that would love something as good without as many bells and whistles...{I still don't desire an MP3, color LCD, touchscreen)...but would love the improved programmability, memory, technology, etc. Best to you and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm with Hilgert on one point...let him know where to send his payment for pre-order so he can get one for me too!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 PM
hangflug_ch

ok Karlton, so you're noting what we and I are trying to tell you? I've got many ideas and I have no problem telling you those as long as I know you're listening :-)

1. You mentioned slow transitions when switching flight-phases. That's great and I use it all the time. I'd like to have an adjustable slow transition for switching to failsafe (which I hope will never occur again with your system). Background: We are builiding sailplanes capable of doing a 1000 meter dive vertical going almost 400km/h. At the moment, I can not setup my radio to fully deploy brakes on failsafe, because when I'd have a short glitch causing the RX to go to failsafe in a vertical dive @ 400km/h, even my wings are gone. Or maybe better, my ailerons and flaps are gone :-). You agree?

2. Assigning user-definable events to timer states (so I could add 10 MP3-files and let the radio count down the last 10 seconds or what-so-ever). An event can be a MP3-playing, vibrating (I saw you use that in your car-radios), alerting through the display...

3. Assigning events to current-draw on servos. Example: A friend of mine launched his big DG600 full carbon with a bungee on the slope. He used the retractable landing gear for that. When he retracted it, something was wedged. His vario was telling him after about 5 minutes of flying he has only 4.6 volts left on the RX, he landed immediately, nothing happened.

4. Make the antenna remotely wireable so that one can put it where's still room left (YES, I have a bit of a room-problem in most of my planes :-)) Or - integrate the antenna in the RX-case without anything standing out and without making the receiver bigger - this would be even better, but propably not possible :-)

5. Make every alarm configurable. My small futaba 9C warns me everytime I switch it on that my butterfly-mix is on - I don't think that's a too dangerous mix, so I'd switch the warning off - if Futaba'd let me :-)

6. Make at least 3 types of receivers: 1) The big one, with every feature possibly ever needed, 16 channels 2) a smaller one with about 10 channels for all kind of F3B-planes, sized max. as big as a Futaba FP-R 148DP (55.5x25.5x22.5mm, 31gr), and a really small one with max. 5-6gr.

That's about all for my wish-list beside of availability TOMORROW :-)

Raphael
Old 01-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Raphael thank you all very great ideas!

1) I love the soft transition to failsafe and the ability to turn off some failsafe functions per flight mode count that IN!

2) Is already planned

3) Thee warnings on voltage we are keen on as a major safety feature even in our car radios it will be there. Great exaple even our car radios can track two battery packs now by the way.

4) Not up to me the EE team is on that.

5) Alerts are fully up to the user Sound, Vibe, Both or NON per alert this is how we have them set up now. I use funny wav files for my alerts but that just me. Yes tied to timers as well hehehehehe

6) Receviers agreed
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 PM
hilgert
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Nomadio_Sales

I cant give a time frame because I have been watching how people on this forum have been blasting XtremeLink and want no part of that bash fest. Sooner or later I bet people start bashing over here when they do we stop posting here and just go on with development and release. It takes time to get production going but we want and need honest input so here we are putting on the table our thoughts and ideas and hope to gain from the pilots what they want.
Karlton, there is a key difference between Nomadio and XPS. Nomadio actually *has* real 2.4GHz products already out there, both in the consumer RC world and with the military. I think people will have faith in your ability to actually pull this off, and faith in your understanding of just what it takes. XPS made some assumtions that things could happen much faster then they actually could (and to their credit admitted such), and when (or if?) they eventually do come out with something it will be their first such unit. I know that you have been thinking of this for quite some time. So I, for one, would tend to put some faith in Nomadio (with your past experience in high-performance 2.4GHz) and Spektrum (with their actual experience in consumer RC air systems). Another difference is that you are asking for feedback on a TX system, while XPS is developing a radio system. The primary functionality and interface for the flyer is in the TX; the radio system just has to work (not to make it trivial, but the radio system should be silently working in the background).

This is not to say that XPS might not someday actually get their plastic cases and screws in, and come out with an actual module. I hope they do (I have a 9303 waiting for a module), and I will buy the first unit available at least for testing. However, with your proposed system, I'd buy one XPS system for testing, and wait for a better Spektrum system (DX9 perhaps?) and/or your system.

Also, *please* resist the urge to over-bling this thing with unwanted crap. No flashy cases (thing smooth lines like an EVO), MP3 only if needed, no color screens (honestly, I don't see the point other than bragging rights), etc. I'd rather see tons of features inside than pretty stuff outside.

Regards,

-Hilgert
Old 01-07-2007, 01:50 PM
hangflug_ch

Karlton, you're welcome. I hope you can fully understand me, I know my english isn't the best - as you may have seen I'm from switzerland (the heart of europe )

You can sure count on me for some more ideas. I never had the opportunity to actually "participate" in a TX-developement, so I will go for it and collect my thoughts.

It would be great if even the current draw per servo could be monitored and alarmed. So you could set up values for "normal operation" and have alarms when something is happening. I think this shouldn't be too hard to do?

Now let me think for some time and I'll sure come back with more ideas, things I've never dreamed someone would do for us poor sailplane-modelers

Greetings to California,
Raphael
Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 PM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

Very interesting. Can't wait until more info is finalized and a release date is set. I subscribed to this topic and will be watching it.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Nomadio_Sales

LOL Color screens are cheaper now then B/W thanks to all the PDAs If you know me you know I like clean simple cases look at the React (MPX Profi Car case) or the MPX EVO case. I hate fake bling. I like the Pizza Box of the Profi 4000 in that it is simple nothing extra just controls but holding that thing OUCH! That is the reason for the EVO case

I really think Xtremelink is going to hit the market well when they do start shipping, in fact I am lending them my Profi 4000 because I know it will work and I want to convert to 2.4Ghz for my flying now. He will be done before we will.

Its is one thing to make RF decks and quite another for full systems.

On the Nomadio Ideas Forum I have created subsections for the super radio and the sports line radio.
[link=http://support.nomadio.net/index.php?sid=a6e2035bebf135a08280d4570bc6d556]Nomadio Ideas Forum[/link]
Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the idea of Evo type programming, but without the "Global" quirks.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Raphael THIS IS A FANTASTIC IDEA even for our car radios we will get on this idea!

It would be great if even the current draw per servo could be monitored and alarmed. So you could set up values for "normal operation" and have alarms when something is happening. I think this shouldn't be too hard to do?
I am a sailplane nut, I once sponsored the F3J or was it F3B team from Norway just because they needed it. Not that I would or cold sell Multiplex radios into Norway it just had to be done.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:26 PM
hangflug_ch

Karlton, too great :-) I flew 2005 + 2006 in the swiss F3B-team from Andreas Böhlen, the current world champion :-)

I WILL COME UP with more ideas tomorrow, believe me :-)

I have to thank you very much, I think this will be THE system!!

Please send me your mail-adress per PM so I can send you one of my "SlopeMania 1" DVDs for free. As a sailplane-enthusiast, you sure will like it :-) It shows us flying in switzerland, italy, france etc. with high-performance-gliders. Look at the trailer: http://www.hangflug.ch/shop/shop.cfm...4&artikel_id=7
Old 01-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Randy Brown

Hey Buddy good to see you around

There no doubt in my mind that your a good guy

Nice radio ..I'm Jealous

ah the good old days

Randy

ORIGINAL: Nomadio_Sales

Raphael THIS IS A FANTASTIC IDEA even for our car radios we will get on this idea!

I am a sailplane nut, I once sponsored the F3J or was it F3B team from Norway just because they needed it. Not that I would or cold sell Multiplex radios into Norway it just had to be done.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:58 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Nomadio,,,just for reference,,out of a 130 posts on this thread and another titled,,What you would like in SS Radio,,,i found 5 replys about haveing a MP3 player and touch screen,,,thats approx. 3.8 %..now,,are you building this radio for masses or the minority,,Just a thought

NdFrSpeed
Old 01-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Nomadio_Sales

NdFrSpeed you will NOT have to USE the MP3 function and its not like the TFT is going to bring the cost of the radio up in fact using a screen that is mass produced lowers the cost of the radio.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM
Van

Well I, for one, didn't realize the color LCD would be/are now lower cost than the monochrome. Go figure...gotta love technology. If color is more cost effective, then go with color. Does the MP3 add to the cost of the system? I know the touchscreen would. Only a few days of this thread and I can't wait to see what y'all come up with.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:11 PM
air mail rcu

Karlton, Do like the auto industry does. Make it look good load it up with features and make it affordable with a good warranty and you will sell a million of them.

As far as the MP3 player goes if you have never tried flying to music you should. It really makes a big difference. I first time I tried it I was amazed at the flow you could get in. It's like music and flying were made for each other. One thing, it was a pain to bring the CD player to the flight line. This would be so much better. Just plug the earplug in and turn it on. The MP3 player needs to be a keeper. In my opinion.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:57 PM
hilgert
My Feedback: (2)

Regarding my comment about the color screen being "bling", I did indeed realize that color screens are less expensive today because of the tremendous downward spiral of cost from their use in PDAs and such. My brain apparently paused for a moment when I was typing that, so I stand corrected - color screens are fine.

My point was (which I did not state correctely) is to please not add any bling just for the sake of bling. If color screens are the best cost approach, then that's fine. You (Karlton) appear to be as impressed with shiny blingy things as I am (as in we are not impressed), so I'll trust that you will keep the bling down and the features up.

Regards,

-Hilgert
Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Nomadio_Sales

ROFLOL I am ANTI BLING! I HATE and hate is a strong word radios that look like star wars meets a gold encrusted porcupine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.