Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Current draw

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 04:07 AM
Charlie H.
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Current draw

Hi Guys
I would like to take a reading of my current draw on my Futaba receiver/servos at rest on my flight pack.How could i go about doing this ? in Milli-amps

Thanks Charlie
Old 01-31-2003, 04:15 AM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default Current draw

Charlie, take an extension lead, with male and female connectors, split the + cable (red usually) and attach two banana plug connectors to it, the kind that fit a voltmeter. Then plug the extension between the battery and receiver, plug the banana plugs into a volt/ammeter, set it for 10 amps scale (may have to use a different plug/jack for thsi. . it will be marked for 10 amp current readings) then turn the receiver on and do your testing.

DO NOT use the Ohms or Volts scales of measurement while it is connected like this, as you may damage the meter. ALL current readings must be done in series. . i.e., IN the path of electrical current flow, not across it, so the meter has to be a physical part of the circuit in order to get a reading. You CAN go out and buy a $50-100 inductive probe or Amp Clamp (that goes around the wire and senses electrical/magnetic field intensity) that plugs into a meter. .but that is a bit extreme and milliamps are kind of hard to get an accurate reading on with an Amp Clamp.

Hope this helps
Old 01-31-2003, 07:12 AM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Default Current Draw

See Model Aviation Magazine for March, Page 94!