Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What WE Would Want In a "SUPER" Spektrum!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What WE Would Want In a "SUPER" Spektrum!!!

Okay.... to help that "Other" thread be more "on topic". Let's post here things that we would like to be passed on to Spektrum in case they would like to know.....
BUT.....

Let's keep it to a discussion of "reasonable" and "realistic" expectations of design and capability that would be in a 9 or 10+ channel radio. Maybe just think of this as a "wish list" of features to let them know what we would LIKE to see in a Spektrum "top end" radio!

Please..... on topic, and no flames of others, or comparisons of "other" radios.... just things we would LIKE TO SEE in a "new" top end 2.4 radio!

Any inputters????
Old 01-03-2007, 08:07 PM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: What WE Would Want In a "SUPER" Spektrum!!!

The new version needs triple rates and simple assignment to a single switch. We also need to be able to set rates and expo individually in each direction. I'd also like to see pots or sliders that can be used to adjust mixes for coupling during flight. The we could make permanent settings apon landing. I could go on and on.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:19 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Flight modes no matter what model type you are using, triple rates, complete switch and stick assignability, at least 9 channels, dials, integrated tach, integrated RX pack tester, multipoint mixes, 13pt or more pitch and throttle curves.

Basically, I want my 9z to work with Spektrum stuff.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps a nice set of speaker jacks - so I could listen to my "tunes".
n optional Bose noise cancelling headfones.
and a built in 3 gb music storage
and a full color screen with a prop that turns and wheels go up n down and a full visual disply of the model flying and reacting to stick inputs
an a multiple timer that plays full chords instead of beeps and a fuel reminder
The flying part of the DX7 ?
It already does all of THAT stuff I want.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Bob Pastorello

Dick - I expected better..... I asked about realistic and reasonable features. I understand your anti- "bells and whistles", but that doesn't mean OTHERS wouldn't like to have them. Please.....offer constructive features.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 PM
onewasp

Bob,

Great idea!
But I think the totals of the first two posts indicate that the sum of the "desires" is going to be 'off the map'.

Perhaps if we included "What are you willing to pay for these features?" we might get a different priority set. ------Yeah, I admit, totally impossible.-------------just 'wondering' :')

My desires: give me the 10X Tx feel with the DX7 features ---- in other words, put the DX7 in the 10X case with 10X sticks.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

To me, a radio is something that is an investment I keep. if I could get 9z features with Spread Spektrum, I'd be willing to dig up a grand or so for a TX RX set.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 PM
onewasp

ncrego

Now, that's reasonable.

I don't need it all (just sold my 10X when I went to the DX7) but with better programing --- yep, I''d look at it.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

I'd toss in another few bucks just to have a nice, little, out of the way, momentary switch for ignition kill.
Nine channels minimum would handle most warbirds...gear, flaps, bomb drop...etc.
I'd like to get Spektrum to have their hardware and software engineers talk extensively with flyers before they just go ahead and gin up some bells and whistles that are pretty much off the mark for many. ..like their switch positions setup for "land-O-matic" mode!!! Where did that ever come from? That's Wal-Mart toy thinking. I thought I was flying the plane!
Lastly, PLEASE have the engineers who write the manuals, try to understand that although it is all pretty basic stuff for them...since they designed it...but we non-tech'y types need a whale of a lot more very detailed explanation of how and why to do the mix's, and set-ups, in order to make it a really useful manual...which of course then makes the radio a lot more valueable to everyone.

jim

Old 01-03-2007, 09:41 PM
rmh

Bob- The Futaba 14 does have a music feature and the screen-also the turningprop -also a Futaba item on -I think -the older 9 channel .
I wasn't making up stuff - just slightly embellishing current features already available--which as you also noted are rather whimsical.
OK here are some REAL features I would like to see
1- a downlink module with display on Tx- giving rpm and temps-this could be used to read or operate mixture .
2- a power use link which showed on demand - power spikes or consumption in the model.
Much of the stuff presently sold as features is just glitter- - simply because it is cheap to add and is eye candy.
The solid rf link and latency features are features which far outshine most bling offered and assumed necessary
I hope they keep the radio very simple -with little cost plus add ons.
I detest what has happened to our cars- which now include ludicrous features which serve no real practical purpose and are (u guessed it) now assumed a necessary part of a vehicle which spend 99% of it's time doing very basic grocery getting.
If anyone assumes I am against technical advances - they are missing my point.
The BEST designs are almost always , the most simple.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

A DX-9 version of the JR9303 would be fine for me. Just do it!. The DX-7 seems to be based on the JR7202, so the 9 should be a snap to do. I'm sure they are just milking the market for whatever they can get at this time and hopefully get enough market saturation that we won't switch to another brand when they are eventually released.

I'm sure a future DX-9 would be backwards compatible with the AR7000, AR6000, AR6100 Rx's
Perhaps it will be DSM-3 with some new tricks like bi-directional communication between Rx and Tx and have a downlink for engine rpm, fuel level, battery amp draw, altitude, etc. etc.

How about an Auto-Land button? Naw, that takes away the fun.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I just wish the radio was better balanced. I fly with a strap and when I let go the radio falls against my body and the throttle stick goes to full, could be a problem. The radio lacks the 5 ft antenna which acts a balance as on my 9C. Besides that I think the radio is just perfect for me.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to see the ability to have "Cross Trims". i.e elevator trim on the left and throttle trim on the right. All my futaba radios have it and I miss it on the DX7

Regards

Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Bob Pastorello

THis is all good stuff.... my own preference would be a "built in" dual elevator mixing mode that preserves individual ATV's and sub trims. Also a "built in" R>E mix, and expos adjustable on either direction of any channel, and independent Dual Rate travels with each direction. Of course "Flight Modes".

Airborne telemetry to send various info to the ground would be nice. Like audible temperature sensor.... higher temps, higher tone, etc. Maybe apply to other sensors, too?

I also still like the good ol' ANALOG throttle trim, and sure miss that.

Multi-point mixes would be nice.... and a "Quad Aileron" setup for bipes or dual-servo per wing GS planes.

While we're wishing, PC - configurable TX settings via USB or Firewire. Keep setups in the PC, program test setups back and forth.

Glad to see all the posts, guys!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:04 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Direct and easy access to four wing servo programming.

A full set of sailplane mixes

Removeable memory cards, like the Futaba 9C for virtually unlimited model retention.

I think the simplest answer would be the JR 9303 as the DX9. That would cover it all.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:50 PM
FlyEng
My Feedback: (5)

Bob,

You're on target. A useful feature would be the ability to connect to a pc. Then like you said we could control analize and program, and save setups to disc etc. Imagine how nice it would be to copy setups, or even see all menu options presented on the screen at one time. Then a virtual plane could be shown on the screen showing all channel assignments and mixes etc. We would get visual feedback.

The downlink would be awesome too. Temperature, rpm, and bat cond. would be way cool. Imagine could we ever get a stall warning. Maybe not good for aerobatics but maybe it would be good for scale guys. Who knows. For that matter, how many times have you seen a 25K scale model skinned up cause a gear didn't lock or something. A warning to the pilot could help avoid lots of costs.

I'm dreaming and the later ideas are probably not too realistic. However, flight modes would be useful for sure.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:48 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyeng

Bob,

You're on target. A useful feature would be the ability to connect to a pc. Then like you said we could control analize and program, and save setups to disc etc. Imagine how nice it would be to copy setups, or even see all menu options presented on the screen at one time. Then a virtual plane could be shown on the screen showing all channel assignments and mixes etc. We would get visual feedback.
Now that would be great! Work out all the mixes on the screen, then just load them to the transmitter.

SUPER!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
pizza
My Feedback: (24)

just one modification for me please - a manual throttle trim. in the three flights I have so far on big gaser it has been a disaster - here one day it can be 55deg then 25 the next. my da100 needs a little more idle when cold then less as engine gets warm. I stalled the engine with a tail slide and over shot the runway with too high idle. I cannot feel where I am and start/takeoff trim position can be diff from center beep. I fly with a super quiet exhaust system, 3blade prop and cannot hear the engine. at one point I thought I was above center beep and killed the engine trying to find it - I dont want to look at radio during flying. I am going to kill engine on the ground by switching off ignition rather than to use throttle trim for now.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Throttle kill switch and I'm happy. In the instruction manual, more intuitive help identifying switchs you want to select. But then, will probably get that here.
Edwin
Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 AM
rmh

I do use my flap switch as throttle kill (position 3)
Iwill see if I can come up with a mix for Ray-and me which is a two position low throttle thingy.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 AM
rmh

for those who missed it -- my post (post#4) --was a gentle jab at the high end tx offered by Futaba-- This radio has sound color etc., as well as many other features.
My point was --" features" are in the eye of the beholder.
A car with a GPS is on little value to someone who only drives to and from the hairdresser.
But it is fun to play with.
The car guys know this and so -in goes the GPS
Turn the calender back to 1958--the EDSEL by Ford Motor Co.
Ford researched this new car by asking potential (?) customers what they wanted in a car.
The result was the EDSEL.
In looking over "what went wrong", Ford figured out that they should have asked " what would your neighbor want in a new car?"
This is where things get really strange-----
The "bling bling" things are what really tipped the sale of a new car.
Not the practical aspects.
No matter if they were useful , they made the buyer feel excitement.
Deciding what features to offer in a new radio is really tough .
Why?
All of the mixes and switches and timers and running displays are relatively easy cheap and safe to do .
No real risk to the user is assumed
Now the DX7 ----------
No bling bling
Just a totally new approach to the info link from operator to flying model
If the radio sells or fails --it is on the merits of this feature
Only.
Pretty smart marketing huh?
Old 01-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Flyfast1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see a slider switch on the side with audible tones to indicate position like the 9C has--very convenient for flaps on warbirds. I'd also like to have a knob for adjusting gyro gain on big warbirds. A momentary kill switch for ignition, like the trainer switch on a 9C would also be helpful.

-Ed
Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Phil Heller
My Feedback: (9)

My Futaba 8AU does all and more than I want or need. I still haven't figured out half the stuff it's capable of. I'm too busy flying! If I could get a DX-7, 8, or 9 that did all the 8AU (UA?) does I'd be in radio heaven!

Phil
Old 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Peter Burgess

A full set of glider options/mixes (Crow brakes, ail/flap mix etc) would be good (like on the F9C)
Old 01-04-2007, 05:45 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

How about something simple, like an secure digital(SD) card slot the provide unlimited model memory. Then add PC software for editing and storage on your hard drive. You could have as many different configurations for each plane as you wanted and go back the a previous setup anytime.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.