Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Radio or equivelent in price? (CHOOSE!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Zephirus79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Radio or equivelent in price? (CHOOSE!)

Well I have heard both sides of the coin on this. Spektrum are nice in that you dont have to worry about frequency sharing or things of that nature however they still cant convince me its totally interference free. Basically using a GUID system it works a lot like computer wireless technology. The issues I have with it is that it only has 7 channels and that the feature list isn't as great as other radios for the same price.

So what would be your call if you had to buy a radio today? A Spektrum or something like a 9C?

Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Carpilot

Default RE: Spektrum Radio or equivelent in price? (CHOOSE!)

I don't even need 7 channels so I got the DX7. hopefully by the time I have a use for 9 or 10 channels they will have a spread spectrum radio for me. the GUID is only a small part of it, the most important part is it's Spread Spectrum Modulation.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

Personally, I can't imagine looking at a new radio today and choosing anything but the DX7. I do need more than 7 channels, but I'd still pick a DX 7 and use matchboxes/programming to get the count down to where I could use a DX7. In fact, I have a 9zWC, and I'm going and buying a DX7 tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I think SS technology will probably eventually become the standard, but I think for me it still has a ways to go. For example how do you fit 2 receivers and orient the antenna correctly in 40 size planes? Give me one receiver and 9 channels and I will try one. So I am buying a 9c today and probably SS in 3 to 4 years. Though the guys out there buying them and helping to improve them have my support.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:40 AM
bpannier

It fits easy in a 25 or 40 size airplane. I know of some 10x users that are selling them as the DX7 does it all.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:09 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Good for you.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Zephirus79,
My solution was to buy a good used 8UAPS, which can be had cheap now, because everyone wants the latest and greatest. I then bought a Futaba synthsizer module. I now have everything I need to handle all of my many different frequencies. When 2.4ghz modules and receivers become available, I'll switch over for a couple planes. This will give me great compatibility and all of my receivers and modules will migrate to a a 9CAP Super later if desired. Old retired guys have to watch their pennies.

Dave
Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
onewasp

Perhaps the REAL gamble will be the "catch up guys" as they are scrambling to have a competitive offering and that means either they contract to use someone else's Technology or rush their own.
Spektrum set their own timetable and testing regimen.

Simply a point to ponder.

So far my DX7 has been "spot on" ------- it replaced the 10X I flew for five years. I sold it after ordering the DX7.

In my area we have a lot of high end systems changing hands at decent price levels too.
For whatever reason (it works just as advertised for one) the DX7 is a huge hit here. All clubs too. We have 7 clubs in the immediate area.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If the catch up guys are like most businesses, they cannot announce new offerings until all their finish goods inventory and work in process is consumed. Inventory from the vendors need to be either consumed, canceled or liquidated. Once all this is addressed, then the new offerings will come forth. The profit in the 2.4ghZ units will not make up for the lost expenses generated by scraping inventory.

I don't know how long the supply chain is, but the guys playing "Catch UP" are just being smart business people and not cut their own throat.