Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Is anyone using a Berg 7P Receiver in their Gas/Petrol plane?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is anyone using a Berg 7P Receiver in their Gas/Petrol plane?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone using a Berg 7P Receiver in their Gas/Petrol plane?

Hi,

I have a couple 1/4 scale airplanes, with gas/petrol engines, that I'm planning on finishing up this winter, and both of them will need a new receiver.

Right now I'm trying to decide between the new Berg 7P or the new Futaba R146iP PCM?

Everytime this subject has come up in the past, the answer always seems to be to use PCM with gas engines, but one of the main reasons that's always given is the 'fail-safe' feature in PCM receivers. This feature is now built into the Berg receivers, along with several other key safety features. Such as, TSR (Transmitter Siganl Recognition), TDSP (True Digital Signal Processing, Triple Tuned RF Circuitry, etc.

So have new receivers, like the Berg 7P, earned a place with the 'Big Boys' yet, or will every one continue to just say "Use a PCM with Gas engines"?

What do you think?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Is anyone using a Berg 7P Receiver in their Gas/Petrol plane?

I have heard that they are using the Berg in giant scale without issues.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:16 PM
3D Romeo

Thanks for the reply rc-sport!

I'm leaning strongly toward the Berg 7P because of all it's features, and I especially like being able to program certain functions on a PC. Another key feature that I like is the weight. It's not that critical for the 1/4 scale airplanes that I'm building, but it's nice to know that I could just as easily use it in one of my foamy planes if I choose.

I just wanted to see what others were saying about these little receivers before ordering a couple.

Mark
Old 01-10-2007, 09:43 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Not to mention it's capability to tell if it's getting a signal from your receiver or someone elses on the same frequency. I saw 2 pilots on the same frequency hovering 2 foamies sise by side, no problem
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 PM
XJet
Banned

I've used Berg receivers for years (when RC-Direct sold them and subsequently since Castle took over).

They're good receivers, but they are still only a single-conversion receiver with the attendant image-rejection issues.

They do have very good DSP -- but that can only go so far and I don't think *I* would rely on one for a large gas-powered model, despite the failsafe feature -- although I'm sure others feel happy doing so.

When I've got that much money and weight flying around with that much power up-front, I want *every* box ticked when it comes to picking my radio gear. I'd rather rely on the image-rejection of a good dual-conversion receiver than a single-conversion that uses DSP to mitigate the reduced performance of the analog section.

And yes, I've read the paper by Peter Berg on how single-conversion can be made to work fine -- but I'm an RF and digital-systems engineer from wayback. I know the limitations of DSP and the benefits of a good dual-conversion RF/IF section :-)

My Bergs are reserved for models that are .90-1.00 size or less. For the big ones I use a good DC receiver and (once I'm happy there's no problems with ignition noise or whatever), I also use PCM for extra safety.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:43 AM
3D Romeo

Thanks the reply XJet!

You make some good points...Unfortunately, they are just a little to late.

After not getting much feedback, I ended up ordering a couple of the Berg 7P Receivers earlier today.

I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed while I'm flying. Because I'm unemployed right now, and don't have the money to buy any more.

Mark
Old 01-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Eindecker_pilot

In the future, if you like the signature recognition feature, check out FMA Direct's FS8 reciever. It has programmable failsafe, Digtial Signature Recognition, a built-in voltmeter, & frequency scanner. Plus it is dual conversion. I use them in my 1/4 scale gas airplanes for the past 3 season without incident.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
goatboy

I have a friend who uses berg recievers in his pylon racers and he has not had any issues.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 PM
3D Romeo

Thanks for the input guys!

Even though I'm all set for now...I'm sure the additional info will come in handy down the road.

Mark