Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hi/Lo Band Rcvr's

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 12:33 PM
NavyE6FE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi/Lo Band Rcvr's

This may have been asked already but I didn't find any threads on it so here goes.

Do the Hitec rcvrs accept any band crystal? Or do you need to make sure you get the correct band? I see Futaba has either hi or lo rcvrs but hitec doesn't list them this way(at least on TH web site). My local R/C shop has hitec rcvrs, I just want to make sure I get the right one for Ch 40. THANKS!

Steve
Old 02-02-2003, 05:16 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Hi/lo band thing is a recommendation by Futaba and does not apply to Hitec. All Hitec Rx's are as Hitec likes to put it are 'plug and play'. You may use any channel within the band from 11 to 60.

The Hi/lo band thing does cause a lot of confussion. It is not two differant bands, is mearly a reference to the channels (frequencys) in the upper end of the band as opposed to those in the lower end of the band.

John
Old 02-02-2003, 06:32 PM
NavyE6FE

Thanks for the info John.

Steve
Old 02-03-2003, 03:27 PM
tombob
My Feedback: (7)

Default Hi Lo Band

I sent an e-mail to Hi-tec's service department on this issue , and their reply was it is a non-issue. Just make sure you use a hi-tec Chrystal. :spinnyeye TomBob
Old 02-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Flyin Woodbutcher
My Feedback: (3)

Hi John , does this mean that its ok to use a 37 xtal in a rec. that was a 26 xtal. This is futaba pcm.

Thanks Kent
Old 02-05-2003, 05:09 AM
JohnBuckner

Unfortunately No Kent, what I was referring to above only applied to Hitec receivers they do not have this problem. In the case of Futaba rx's you can change the crystal without sending it in for retune but only if you stay within the highside or lowside whichever it was originaly tuned for. In other words if the rx was supplied as a low band it had a crystal from 11 to 35 and you can change all you want as long as you stay within that range. Otherwise it must be returned for realignment. The reason for this is Futaba Rx's are center tuned in the middle of either the high or low range. Pcm or ppm (FM) makes no differance.

Of course you cannot change crystals in a Tx, that must be done by a licensed shop. The only exception here is you can change the module on a module type radio. these are not the little crystal holders but a plugin box on the back of the radios so equiped that contain all the, key phrase here, "frequency determining circuitry".

John
Old 02-05-2003, 05:27 AM
David Cutler

Default Re: Hi Lo Band

Originally posted by tombob
I sent an e-mail to Hi-tec's service department on this issue , and their reply was it is a non-issue. Just make sure you use a hi-tec Chrystal. :spinnyeye TomBob
. . and changing the crystal in the transmitter (other than the eclipse, which is an RF unit in the back) is OK?

I thought you could only change the transmitter crystal if it was in the same half of the band.

David C.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:40 AM
JohnBuckner

Default Re: Re: Hi Lo Band

Originally posted by David Cutler

. . and changing the crystal in the transmitter (other than the eclipse, which is an RF unit in the back) is OK?

No, In the US it is aginst FCC regulations to change your own Tx. crystals. Yes in the US you can change your Rx crystal. John

I thought you could only change the transmitter crystal if it was in the same half of the band.

David C.

Agine you cannot change you own Tx crystal irreguardless of what channel it is on. John
Old 02-06-2003, 12:03 AM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

Now john!!
You know dang well that there is no such word as irregardless!
:-)
Old 02-06-2003, 12:39 AM
David Cutler

Default Re: Re: Re: Hi Lo Band

Originally posted by JohnBuckner

Agine you cannot change you own Tx crystal irreguardless of what channel it is on. John
We seem to be oscillating around the go - no go - go - no go.

What's the definitive answer to this question? ..

Is it possible and legal for Hitec transmitters to transmit on an alternative channel by plugging a different crystal in the front of the box?

Thanks.

David C.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:50 AM
JohnBuckner

Got me Avinut, perhaps frustration with my apparent lack of communications skills got the best of me. Of course :-) is not a word either, He, he.
David You have to define whether you are talking about Tx's or Rx's. The regulation or lack of regulation depends on which you are talking about. Also these regulations only apply in the US but the regulations apply to all brands used in the US.

First Rx's
It 'is legal' to change Rx crystals to your hearts content and to any of the channels within the given band. The FCC could care less what channel we stick in the Rx.

The Futaba 'rcommendation' to stay at the high end or low end, whichever was originally supplied) does not does not carry the force of law. In this case just applys to Futaba Rx's and the reason is because of the way they tune the rx in the middle of the low or high end. Hitec Rx's are tuned to the middle of the entire band and are selective enough to perform with the best of them across the entire band from top to bottom.

Now Tx's
It is in fact (only in the US) illegal for the end user to change crystals. Any changes must be done by a licensed facility. This does apply to surface and air radios! 27MHz, 72MHz and 75MHz bands.

Ok now stay with me. There are two other RC bands in this country: 50 MHz and 53 MHz. These bands can only be used by licensed Hams and these gentleman can change channels on their tx's within the ham bands at will but they cannot change a tx channel on the the 72 MHz band.

There is one major exception to the end user changing the Tx channel. He may change the module on a module equipped radio to another module of a different channel or a synthesized one such as the Spectra that can dial in a different channel. All modules contain in addition to the crystal, the RF section. Thats the puppy that must be tuned to the crystal, since each module is tuned for the crystal that it contains, hence no need to send anything in.

The following are the Hitec air radios that you cannot change the tx crystal on:

All the Focus series, Flash 4x and Flash 5x

The following are the module types that you can change to different single channel modules or dial in a different channel on the Spectra module:

Prism 7x and Eclipse 7

I sincerely hopes that helps David
John