RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics RD8000 and Negative Shift mode

Old 01-20-2007, 03:40 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Airtronics RD8000 and Negative Shift mode

I currently own a Futaba 4YF and a Futaba 7CAF. My 7CAF radio system has been terrific so far, but I'm afraid I'll soon be running up against the problem of mixing dual elevator servos. The 7C is famously bad at operating/trimming multiple servos on the same control surface.

I have several shift-selectable receivers, so I've been considering picking up an Airtronics RD8000 radio. I thought I'd have to replace my Futaba receivers, however, because I didn't believe that the RD8000 was shift selectable. After reading a tech note about the various modulation modes on Tower's website, I now realize that the RD8000 is in fact shift selectable for FM modes.

Why is shift selectability such a well-kept secret when it comes to the Airtronics RD8000? Does anybody out there with an RD8000 have any experience flying it with negative shift receivers? How has it worked out for you, and what are the good or bad points about operating the RD8000 this way?

I'm pretty stoked that I could pick up a RD8000 and have it be completely compatible with my Futaba receivers, but I'd hate to pull the trigger prematurely without asking for some feedback about this feature first. Thanks in advance for your educated opininions!
Old 01-20-2007, 04:44 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airtronics RD8000 and Negative Shift mode

It's been a feature since the original RD6000. When I used an RD6000, I regularly flew it with both positive and negative shift receivers. So long as you stick to PPM, you're fine. You'll have a much wider selection of receivers available to you.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:03 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use an RD6000 and have bought and sold several other RD's. All have performed without a problem. [KOW] I have used Hitec , JR and one futaba rx's with the RD's and all worked just fine. One of the hitec's was neg shift if I remember right.
Brand loyality is a funny thing and a lot of times depends on what most of the other club members use. Where I fly 6 channels would fly 99 percent of the planes so Airtronic radios are in the majority. You may prefer to use two channels for elevators or ailerons sometimes but Y harnesses work ok too. One thing I do not like about Airtronics is that the sanwa batteries that come with them are plain junk.
Fred
Old 01-20-2007, 07:25 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed,
Why don't you get Futaba 9C or a good used 8U transmitter. The RD8000 doesn't have a module according to the manual. I wouldn't buy a radio without a module or a builtin snythsizer. When times change, you toss it and get a replacement. Being able to upgrade to the next level is the best route.

Dave
Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 AM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello.....i have been using airtronics for a long time.....they are great radios......airtronics is too laid back in their advertising....no body knows that the rd series are shift selectable.......i have talked to their marketing people and told them they have a good product ,why don't they advertise more.......... they need to come out with newer transmitters .....the rd series are good but limited........no dual rate on rudder.......is the stylus radio even still available......thanks .pault
Old 02-21-2007, 01:46 PM
pault
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 12-02-2007, 07:47 PM
linkadrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: fredscz

I use an RD6000 and have bought and sold several other RD's. All have performed without a problem. [KOW] I have used Hitec , JR and one futaba rx's with the RD's and all worked just fine. One of the hitec's was neg shift if I remember right.
Brand loyality is a funny thing and a lot of times depends on what most of the other club members use. Where I fly 6 channels would fly 99 percent of the planes so Airtronic radios are in the majority. You may prefer to use two channels for elevators or ailerons sometimes but Y harnesses work ok too. One thing I do not like about Airtronics is that the sanwa batteries that come with them are plain junk.
Fred
I have a RD 8000 and was wondering what RX's will work with this radio? I have used futaba RX's with it and they seem to work fine. but i'm looking at using a Hitec RX. I have an airtronics RX for it but the channels dont correspond to the manual. I dont think it is the right receiver it works but the channels are wrong very strange. So i have been looking for a new rx's to use with it and came across a hitec but i'm afraid to purchase it if it wont work.

My RD8000 is channel 29 so i have to use low band RX's with it. i have no idea if it negative shift or positive + or - frequency drift. wouldnt mind knowing that as well. Was wondering what other RX's are compatiable so i have a range to choose from.

thanks Link
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43922.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	817201  
Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 AM
tadawson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The channel order is determined by the transmitter - not the receiver, so the channels on the Hitec should show up in the same order they did on the Futaba RX, never mind what the label says. Also, since the shift is selectable, any brand of PPM (FM) receiver will work . . .

- Tim

ORIGINAL: linkadrip

ORIGINAL: fredscz

Fred
I have a RD 8000 and was wondering what RX's will work with this radio? I have used futaba RX's with it and they seem to work fine. but i'm looking at using a Hitec RX. I have an airtronics RX for it but the channels dont correspond to the manual. I dont think it is the right receiver it works but the channels are wrong very strange. So i have been looking for a new rx's to use with it and came across a hitec but i'm afraid to purchase it if it wont work.

My RD8000 is channel 29 so i have to use low band RX's with it. i have no idea if it negative shift or positive + or - frequency drift. wouldnt mind knowing that as well. Was wondering what other RX's are compatiable so i have a range to choose from.

thanks Link