Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Trim memory with Futaba T6XA

Old 01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim memory with Futaba T6XA

I acquired a digital Futaba T6XA Remote, I currently have 4 planes, 3 of which I use this radio for. It has a 6 plane memory but it doesn’t remember the trims, and I have to re trim the planes every flight. Is there a way around this? Can this remote remember trims? It has the non digital trim mechanisms.

If not, what remotes have memory for different trims?
Old 01-21-2007, 09:07 PM
RaceCity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Trim memory with Futaba T6XA

Yes, the Futaba T6XA has a trim memory function which can be accessed via the "TMEM" screen.

It is still best to trim your airplane MECHANICALLY via the servo arms/clevises for straight and level flight with the trims centered. Relying too heavily on electronic band-aids can result in a model with peculiar control responses.

The analog trims on the T6XA(S) are just fine. It was a sad day when some engineer got the bright idea to start using "digital" trims. Yuk.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:30 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Ok, well on most of my aircraft the trims are off at most with the bottom or tom of the trim grip just level with the center line. Is this to much?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 AM
RaceCity

No, that's not too much. It does suggest however that you are a clevis turn away from being dead-center on your trims. Why not make the mechanical adjustment and be perfect?

Test fly the model....land....make the adjustment...voila!

Do this for all your planes, and you won't have to worry about what trim goes where each time you fly. Trim Memory, etc is just a fluff feature. It's still best to do it mechanically.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I tend to fly one plane but have many students.
When i use my TX for training, it helps me to have digital trims because I can put each student (and their planes) on a different memory. Digital trims are wonderful. Once the plane is trimmed, I don't have to worry about the trim being moved or re-triming the plane for the first flight.

While I will agree, that a computer TX can make you lazy in setting up your plane, that "IS" what we spent the extra money just to have a computer TX.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:59 AM
RaceCity

I'm glad there's at least one person that's found a use for digital trims.

<GGG>

Old 01-22-2007, 11:09 AM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

script...........................if you will use the trim memory all of your models will have the trim lever exactly centered on all controlled surfaces for all models.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
RaceCity

Yes they will Larry. Problem is, they will also have a built in non-linearity in the control throws as well. This is why the trim memory function is best used as a short term fix until a permanent mechanical adjustment can be made.

This is also the reason that you can't do a front end alignment on a car by simply repositioning the steering wheel. This is precisely what trim memory does.