Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spektrum receiver connectors

I just received my Spektrum DX-7 system, and will begin the process of converting at least nine giant scale airplanes. Got the first one converted today. The biggest problem related to the remaining planes, will be getting enough female connectors that will fit into the AR7000 receiver. At the present these planes are equipped with Deans or Futaba-J's. The Futaba J-s can be made to fit by cutting off the J., but I'd rather not have to do that.

Does anyone know where you can purchase just the female connectors in bulk quantities, with or without pigtails?

Jim Messer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Spektrum receiver connectors

G'day Mate,
    Why buy something that adds another connection & chance of failure, when all you have to do is cut off the 'J".
    They will still fit your Futaba gear IF you go back, but I don't think you will. I sure won't go back to the old way.
    I'm a confirmed DX7 user, now.
    Good Flyin Mate. Keep Thyne Airspeed up, lest the ground arise & smite thee,
    Allan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It isn't the prettiest mod in the world, but I took a sharp exacto knife and cut off all of the triangle shaped pieces of plastic in the receiver servo bay. I then took a hot soldering iron and made slots for the servo tabs. Worked great for me, but if you want to keep the receiver pristine, your only option is to shave all of the servo connectors.

Later;

D.W.

[img]a7000servoconmod.jpg[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eb86651.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	606572  
    Getting old aint for sissies!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you looking for JUST the plastic housing?

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just use a small screw driver to release the two plastic tabs that hold the case closed on the pin end. You can then open the case just enough to plug in the futaba connectors with no other mods.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

I just received my Spektrum DX-7 system, and will begin the process of converting at least nine giant scale airplanes. Got the first one converted today. The biggest problem related to the remaining planes, will be getting enough female connectors that will fit into the AR7000 receiver. At the present these planes are equipped with Deans or Futaba-J's. The Futaba J-s can be made to fit by cutting off the J., but I'd rather not have to do that.

Does anyone know where you can purchase just the female connectors in bulk quantities, with or without pigtails?

Jim - MaxxProducts sells a lot of this kind of thing. CHeck this link http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-4.html , the page before. You will find any combination of stuff you want to try. Personally, I would cut servo wires and solder/splice on the correct Universal ends, but that's just my preference.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dymond RC Modelsports sells the connector sets for $10 per 10 plugs/pins. Here's the link: http://www.rc-dymond.com/index.php?categoryID=36
    Sam
    Daddysam
    Corsair Brotherhood #26, Spitfire Brotherhood #7
    Hawker Hurricane Brotherhood (future?)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys...the existing servo crimped contact will fit into any housing...Futaba, JR, etc. All you need to do is purchase the JR type of housings to fit the Spektrum rx...or rob them from some old JR type of servos or extension cables just lying around.
    It is a simple matter to very carefully...using a needle...lift the tiny plastic finger tab on the housing which holds the contact in place. The contact can then be withdrawn...it will probably just fall out... when the finger tab is slightly lifted. Then discard the Futaba housing and insert the contacts into the JR type housing, noting the proper position for each color wire, and you are done. Just be very careful NOT to lift the finger tab excessively. It is only plastic, and if you stress it too much, it will not return to it's original position, and consequently not be able to accomplish its function...which is to lock the contact into the housing.
    This way you avoid making a much bigger job out of it...no additional wires...no crimping...no soldering...and it'll look just like it came that way from the factory!

Note: If you are just snipping off the "J" part of the Futaba housing, you may also have to file a bevel on the edges of the housing so as to create a "D" shape. Look carefully and you will see that the "D" shape is the JR flavor of polarization. Newer Futaba housings already have the "D" shape in addition to the "J" tab...but the older Futabas are squared off and will need a touch with a flat file. Make certain you file it on the sides where the contacts do not show...then you'll have the correct polarity. Sounds like a lot of work, but after doing one, you'll see it is really quite quick and easy.
    Captain Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All
    I would just like to throw my 2 cents in here. Since with universal style connectors there is no risk to plugging a servo in reversed, the positive polarization provided by the "J" connectors while a good thing can't be relied on any more, as so many new micro receivers have end pins that provide no orientation with any plug, making it a good practice to get to look for the position of the signal wire when plugging in servos. Now as far making the cuts for the "J" tab in a receiver, I do think the ideal tool would be a #11 Exacto blade.
    Personally I would just cut off the tabs, the last thing I would consider would be adaptors, as they (A) cost, and (B) reduce reliability, heck, I don't even use servo exstensions, but that's just me, hooked on rosin fumes
    Pete
    \"If the woman don\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy\"

[Red Green]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys for all the good replys. I believe the solution will be to purchase from Diamond the JR female connector - 10 for 5 bucks. If I read all the replies correctly, these connectors will work in the AR7000 receiver without any other modification.

In my first conversion, I simply cut off the J with a #11 X-acto knife. Worked O.K.

Jim Messer