RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Not impressed with the Rubber Ducky

Old 01-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Not impressed with the Rubber Ducky

I ordered a rubber duck TX replacement antenna from http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=1158 for a friend of mine. They state on the website that it can be used on "most transmitters" the 9Z Futaba being the "only one they are aware of" that it won't work on. Well, I got it and when we looked at the ends, and the crappy instructions (a sticker on the back of the package), we see no way that this will work on ANY of these following TX's without major modification to the case: Futaba 6EXA, 6XAS, 7Cap, 9 Cap, or the Hitec Prism 7.

This item was not what I was expecting in the least. Am I missing something here?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:22 AM
nk3t

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Not impressed with the Rubber Ducky

I have been using a Smiley rubber duck antenna for several months now, and think it is fantastic. On a Futaba 9CSuper, I had to take a #11 xacto knife and run it around the hole in the 9C case at a 45 degree angle, to create a bit of a bevel around the top of the antenna hole. The mounting block of the antenna has a small step, which without the bevel will not sit square. This took me all of 30 seconds to bevel, which I do not consider to be a major modification. Another friend in the local club went the drill method, and increased the hole size by a .030-.050. The knife method has the advantage of allowing you to return to the telescoping metal antenna with still a snug fit in the top of the case.

Additionally for installation, you need a screwdriver to open the case, and a small ignition wrench to attach the pigtail to the threaded post where the telescoping antenna used to sit.

All total, the installation of the antenna on a 9C can be performed in less than 10 minutes.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL:

we see no way that this will work on ANY of these following TX's without major modification to the case: Futaba 6EXA, 6XAS, 7Cap, 9 Cap, or the Hitec Prism 7.

This item was not what I was expecting in the least. Am I missing something here?

My Prism 7's as well as Eclipse' installed in less than 10 minutes on all four of them and they did not even require scraping.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is a Smiley the same as the one in Deadeye's add??? Are all rubber ducky's created equal????

Les
Old 01-28-2007, 10:28 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Is a Smiley the same as the one in Deadeye's add??? Are all rubber ducky's created equal????

Les
[/quote

Yes its the same and Smiley is a specific name brand.