Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

C&S REED RECEIVER REPAIR (OLD STUFF)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 AM
CUB-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C&S REED RECEIVER REPAIR (OLD STUFF)

I have an OLD C&S 10 channel REED system in very good physical condition. The TX works fine but the output from the receiver (CS-508) will not drive the reed bank sufficiently. Perhaps a bad last stage amplifier transistor. Does anyone know of someone who works on this old stuff that I might contact for possible repairs???? Thank you,.... Tom Huckaby
Old 11-25-2003, 03:31 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: C&S REED RECEIVER REPAIR (OLD STUFF)

Have you talked with Pete Waters (KMI)? He's a a button pusher from way back[sm=cool.gif]
Old 11-25-2003, 06:26 PM
CUB-RCU

Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply. I sent an email to Mr. Pete and it came back "addressee unknown", I called the phone number I've used for years with no positive results, I see no Kraft Midwest ads in the model magazines for this year and I am afraid he may have discontinued his excellent repair service. Do you perhaps know how to reach him? Thank you, Tom
Old 11-26-2003, 04:26 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try [email protected] Maybe about this time of the year, he moves everything lock, stock and barrel to Florida.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:29 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If you can't find anyone else I will take a look at it. I used to repair these in the 60's.
I don't have any spare parts but if its just the amplifier there are many other transistors that will work.
[email protected]
Old 11-27-2003, 11:34 AM
CUB-RCU

Hi Mike, The email address I used before was [email protected]. I have sent Mr.Pete an email using the address you furnished. Thank you, I hope it gets to him......... Tom
Old 11-27-2003, 04:01 PM
CUB-RCU

Hi Richard, I may take you up on your offer to look at my old reed stuff. It is on 27.145 MHZ, as a matter of information. I have the original "Operating instructions" that came with the system. There is a schematic of the receiver included and it shows (4) T6106, (1) 2N213A,and (1) T6746 transistors. (All are Philco I believe.) The schematic reveals if they are NPN or PNP type however. I have been unable to find a cross reference for any of these transistors. I have made new battery packs for both the TX and RX. I am in the process of rewiring the RX and building a switch harness. It may be a waste of time to do all this if it can't be repaired. On the other hand you may need all this to check it out. Please let me know what all I need to ship to you and where do I ship it? Thanks, Tom
Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 PM
dirtybird

The Philco transistors were surface barrier types that are no longer made. At the time they were the only ones that were able to amplify at the required frequency. Most any available generic type of todays transistors will probably work. They whipped the high frequency problem many years ago. The 2n213a is a mil spec type that you can probably locate if you look hard enough.
Your radio might just need a retuning.
I would need you to send the transmitter and the receiver and the necessary wiring harness to be able to make it work.
Does this receiver have relay outputs?
Send to Richard H. Kelly
1452 S. Ellsworth #2036
Mesa Az 85208
Old 11-27-2003, 09:33 PM
CUB-RCU

Richard, this one works with relay-less type servos ( Bonner Transmites). It has a wire from each of the 10 reeds that sends voltage (2.4 DC) to one side of the servo when vibrating. When the signal is terminated the reed stops vibrating, breaking the circuit, and the servo returns to neutral,unless it is a non-centering servo such as used on trim or engine control. The non-centering types just remain at whatever position they were driven to until another signal is sent. I believe the problem to be more than just re-tuning. Tom
Old 11-27-2003, 09:54 PM
CUB-RCU

Hi Mike,I was delighted to get a reply from Mr.Pete! He has little info on this system but I shall pursue the matter further with him. Thank you for the email address you provided. Best wishes,....Tom
Old 12-17-2003, 09:21 PM
nairb5

hi rick, if you get no joy re pete waters, although you should,i will do/.iam currently doing a "hinode reed set".brian, nairb5 [email protected]
Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 PM
hackken

Quite often in these old radios an electrolytic capacitor is the culprit. They are prone to leak and go bad over an extended period of time. Transistors very rarely go bad as they sit idle. If there are any electrolytic capacitors in the receiver, I would check them first.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:31 AM
CUB-RCU

Thank you for your input. There are 2-3 rather large electrolytic caps. in the receiver. I did not think of that. I shall look into that as a possible problem. If that is a factor, finding replacments will be difficult. Thanks again, Tom
Old 12-18-2003, 12:34 PM
wisdom-seeker

There are 2-3 rather large electrolytic caps. in the receiver. If that is a factor, finding replacments will be difficult.
Not true at all. Electrolytic capacitors have not changed in basic design in decades. The only numbers of interest are the capacitance, and the voltage rating. Before I turned to doing software, I was an electronic engineer for 20 years. Just about any Radio Shack should have suitable replacements for your caps. Just be sure and match the polarity when replacing them. At least one end of the cap will be labeled with either a + or - sign.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:18 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: wisdom-seeker

There are 2-3 rather large electrolytic caps. in the receiver. If that is a factor, finding replacments will be difficult.
Not true at all. Electrolytic capacitors have not changed in basic design in decades. The only numbers of interest are the capacitance, and the voltage rating. Before I turned to doing software, I was an electronic engineer for 20 years. Just about any Radio Shack should have suitable replacements for your caps. Just be sure and match the polarity when replacing them. At least one end of the cap will be labeled with either a + or - sign.
It looks as though you and I followed similar career paths. In addition, in the early 70's I spent a period repairing radios for Kraft and EK as a part time business.
I agree that the electrolytic capacitors have probably lost thier form after a long period of inactivity, but I don't think that will produce the results he reports. In fact I never found that the electrolytics did much of anything.
In those days the IF stages had an IF transformer- not the crystal filters used today. To produce parallel resonance at the 455KC required, the transformers had a very small ceramic capacitor in parallel with it. This capacitor would drift in value depending on the humidity and the rust that formed on its connections. The solution was just to clean the connections and retune the IF cans.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:07 PM
CUB-RCU

Hi Richard, The schmatic for this C&S-507 receiver shows F1=TF-01A...... F2=TF-01A and F3= To-02A all are Clevite filters. There are (4) Electrolytic capacitors also. C-8 = 30uf,C-12=30uf,C-13=1uf and C-14=100 uf. All as best I can see are 6 working volts. I have built a new battery back and switch harness but I did not rewire the reeds yet. Will you need them operating to repair the system? They are only switches that make up to drive the servos. I will have to rewire the (5) Bonner (relayless) Transmite servos also. They will all have to be disassembled, cleaned.oiled ,reassembled and adjusted. I flew them way,way back but I don't see how they worked as well as they did. Of course, at the time they were "The State of the ART". I really don't want to do all that unless you can get the system "hummin". I haven't forgot about sending the stuff to you but I am building a Fisher 303 ultralite and I have just gotten back on the project after almost a year of being very lazy. I am making some real progress and I need to stay with it. It is easy to let other things take presidence over the plane if I am not careful. I won't send the system to you until after the year ends and I shall contact you prior to shippind to be sure we are on the same page. Is it possible to give me some idea as to cost with respect to the repairs? Would you want me to obtain new electrolytic caps. and send them along with the system? Best regards, Tom
Old 12-20-2003, 09:05 PM
dirtybird

I will not need the reeds rewired. The contacts that is. The drive coil needs to be connected
I will fix it for $25 +parts +shipping.
I can probably get the electrolytics at the local radio shack. The electrical value is not critical. They are nothing but bypass units.
We also have a Fry's electronic store that has most everything you need-cheap.
If the clevite filters are bad they might be a problem. I don't know if they are still available. Thats the only possible show stopper I can think of.