Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

computrized RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
tisnai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computrized RC

Hi!

I'm interested in building a compuerized RC airplane, but i have a lack of information needed to implement this.

what i'm interested in is somthing like that:

i want to build some electric circuit for the transmitter as well for the reciever. the circuit for the transmitter will sample the state of the different controls on the RemoteControl like sticks and other buttons and will convert this information into digital information.
then, this information will be transmitted to the plane. there, it will be recieved by the reciever and will be passed into a small chip that will analyze the content and will produce the appropriate output commands to the servos.

i would like to know what kind of electronic chips on the market allow me to produce the radio wave needed for the range of a typical rc model.
Old 02-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Lynx

Default computrized RC

You are best off an existing 4 channel transmitter, and 4 channel receiver and then using a Basic Stamp or other such micro controller. (Any Pic Based) BasicX is another good one. A lot of Atmel chips are good as well. Basic Stamps are just easiest for 'end users' to play with. To alter what else goes out. A custom transmitter is simply not practical on any level. It would be easier to tell you what avenue to take if more were known about what you want to actually do with this setup. I've investigated a LOT and have never found a commercial RF board or chip that is 'generic' in any way shape or form. You're best bet is using an EXISTING transmitter as a buddy box transceiver and faking the buddy box signal. As far as receiver's go there's no reason to not use the receives that are out there. Anything else you want to do can be done within those boundaries. Just what do you want to do?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:49 PM
tisnai

Default computrized RC

Hi!

1st, i would like to thank you for your answer.

my wish is to be able to use just 1 channel for comminication and controling the airplane. i wan't to send a digital information to the plane with the commands encoded in this signal. in the plane i want to build a small program that will "understand" the current command and will respond appropriately.

i found some RF receivers/transmitters which allow me to connect them in a circuit and allow me to transmit/receive digital information in a bandwidth of few kbps but most of them operate in a short range (about few hundred feet).
Old 02-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Lynx

Default computrized RC

PCM could be capable of doing this. It's possible, that you could use a standard PCM encoding method, if you modify the CRC values you could send raw data to the receiver and it would reject it as junk because of 'bad' CRC's but your on board hardware could see that as incoming data. But you have to tap the signal before the encoder gets to it, and be able to transmit your own data in the first place. FMA Direct sells RF boards for old ACE transmitters that just BEG for this kind of use, you can transmit custom encoded PPM or PCM if you know the PCM packet format (not sure of where to find it) The harder part would be taping the signal before it reaches the receiver's encoder. I'm sure you could do it with an oscilloscope and simply tack on a small mosfet signal tap where you want to hijack the signal from. This is all of course, not for the faint of heart =>