Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Z connectors.....What's the deal?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 05:27 AM
Savage Nation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z connectors.....What's the deal?????

OK.....I'll admit it, I really thought I had a grip on this hobby, then I bought my son a new radio for his T Maxx......I picked up an Airtronics MX-3 FM, it has blue "Z" connectors, the new Steering Servo we bought "fits" into the recvr, but has a "black" connector.....the Battery, Throttle, and Reverse Servos all have a wider and thicker plug which does not fit in the Airtronics rcvr.

Here is my confusion....I assume that I could just substitute a proper "Z" style connector, but there is a warning tag on the receiver against using "standard" black connectors as they can result in damage due to reverse polarity....????

Isn't black...BLACK, and red...... RED?????

I have a new Servo for my truck from Airtronics, and it has the same warning, again with a blue "Z" connector, I was planning on using this with a JR XR-3 FM radio, but this warning about cross compatibility is concerning me.......

HELP...........!!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:34 AM
CP140

A few years ago, Airtronics used a black connector with three ridges on it. It is not compatible with the new blue "Z" connectors without an adapter(or rewiring the servo lead). I think that's what the tag on the lead is trying to tell you. There's a link on the Airtronics web page(www.airtronics.net) that has more info. As for what servo is compatible with what, check out www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html It has wiring diagrams for the various servo leads.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:34 AM
strato911

In the past, Airtronics wired their servos differently than everyone else, and the new Z-connector is their attempt to be more like the standard. Here is a link to the Airtronics web-site to explain the new Z-connector:
http://www.airtronics.net/picture_shows_the_pin.htm

In the old servos, the Red wire is on the outside, opposite the signal wire (black w/ white stripe), and the new Z-connector has swapped it around with the ground so that the power (red) is in the middle like everyone else. If you are careful to make sure you get the polarity correct, you should be able to swap connectors. Otherwise you can buy the adapter cable from Airtronics.
Here's a link with diagrams of the common servo connectors at the bottom (except the new Z-connector):
http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html
Old 02-06-2003, 06:35 AM
heliguy
My Feedback: (3)

Check out the "Radio Frequently Asked Questions" section under "Radio/Servo information" on my site.

For what it's worth - Al
http://www.rchelibase.com
Old 02-06-2003, 06:37 AM
strato911

CP140 - I guess great minds DO think alike... You were writing your reply while I wrote mine, and we both ended up linking to the same sites...
Old 02-06-2003, 06:44 AM
CP140

Strato911... we must have read each others minds! Spent a year in "Winterpeg" when I went through the Navigation School... (back in the "old days" when they used Hercs... not them cushy new Dash-8s) cross country skiing round Assinaboine(sp?) Park, getting eaten alive by mosquitoes in the summer while BBQing steak... that was a fun year!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:52 AM
strato911

You're always welcome to come back and feed our mosquitoes. There's nothing more annoying than having to swat mosquitoes while trying to fly. A couple times my buddy and I have taken turns flying while the other swats them away with a bat... well they're almost big enough for that sometimes

Edit: I just noticed we both hit "Submit" at EXACTLY the same time - 12:34. I think it's time for some ZZZ's :sleeping:
Old 02-06-2003, 06:53 AM
Savage Nation

Thanks guys.....got the PN for the 2 adapters I need, hopefully my LHS has it in stock!

Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 AM
strato911

If not, you can alter the plugs yourself - just watch the polarity.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:58 AM
CP140

I don't mind 'em biting so much (I think I'd have been bitten less if there had been less beer involved!), but I really hate when they get up in behind your glasses and start bouncing around in there... As for coming back to the peg... was 12 degrees and bright sun today... almost didn't need a jacket... need I say more!
Old 02-06-2003, 07:04 AM
strato911

Default No need to brag...

We're in another cold snap... currently -31°C. Tomorrow's "high" is -18 with high winds - Wind chill of -36°C
Old 02-06-2003, 07:17 AM
CP140

You have my sympathy! I remember my first good look at a Herc (in January!) in the wind, out on the ramp, following the instructor around as he showed us the 'plane..(FYI, I grew up north of Whitehorse... I understand cold, but we never did get the wind you get!)... and so, to bed... someone has to drag the kids to school tomorow!
Old 02-06-2003, 08:42 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And my folks ask me why I'm in the Shuswap. I ain't going back to Winterpeg, and yes I know about them in between your glasses lense and your eyes, or how about in your ear? +5 here! aaaaaaaaaaaaah! green grass. Snows too soft up on the hill to fly off of. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:23 AM
3maxxman
My Feedback: (2)

Savage Nation, DO NOT use the adapters on Traxxas servos! You will find that if you match the servo leads up red/black/white will match the red/black/blue of the airtronics servo. what you need to do is take a flat file and take the "notch" off the Traxxas servos and they will fit in the Airtronics Rx. They will work just fine. The adapters are for the older Airtronics parts only.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	53272_18270.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	33030