Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX-7 , Biplane set-up ??

Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM
dougpeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX-7 , Biplane set-up ??

I thought I would get out of that HUGE thread and ask a question!

I have finished a GP Ultimate bipe w/50cc DA and am seriously thinking of switching from dual receiver 72 to my new DX-7 - but am not sure how I should do the ailerons. Thank-you to Mike M. for showing us how to program the radio for dual aileron/dual elevator but should I use Y - connectors for the bipe?

I was thinking of using EDR-118 regulator pro for connections to take burden off receiver for servos also.

Also thanks to Bob Pastorello for charting posts on DX-7 - really nice, Bob ! Big help.

Thanks for any help here ....

Doug Peck - Vegas
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: DX-7 , Biplane set-up ??

Aileronn channel for one wing on a wye and aux for other wing on a wye, you dont need flaps but enable flaperons to use the aux channel.
You can still do dual elevators using aux 2 and that leaves gear for choke if desired.
Receiver can handle it and the GP Pitts doesnt need monster servos even with a gasser as the surfaces are quite small.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

When I had the same plane, I set it up with both left wings on one channel, and both right on the other. That allowed a little more fine tuning than having each wing independently, and it also allowed me to program in a touch of spoiler (half inch or so) to kill the wing rock in harriers. Set up the elevators on their own channels, one on elevator the other on Aux 2, and you'll be ready to go. Great flying plane, you'll love it.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 AM
dougpeck

Ncrego,

I'm assuming you used Y-harnesses ? Also, I should know but don't , what are "spoilers" and how do I set them up?

I have already set plane up w/ Hitec 5955's which is prob. overkill - do you think using a Y-harness w/these will be too much directly into receiver?

REALLY glad to hear it's a good flyer !
Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM
ncrego

I had mine setup with a Smartfly Power Expander, which gave me the ability to use up to 4 servos off each channel, so no Y harnesses in my case. I've heard that the 5955s don't like Ys, they draw too much current, so you're going to have to try it out and see. Definitely go with high gauge Ys, not the cheapies.

Spoilers are where the ailerons lift up a bit to kill (spoil) the lift. I was never able to get the Ultimate to be truly solid in high alpha, it always had some pretty strong rock that was difficult to counter manually, no matter how fast I was it still was noticeable. A touch of spoilers on a switch solved the problem. It didn't take much, maybe 1/4 of an inch or less up on all ailerons, and it locked right in. It takes a bit more power to hold it with spoilers, but I had a DA, so power was the least of my worries.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I think, per Hitec, that the 5955TG's, at least "current" generation, **CAN** be Y-ed without issue. Perhaps checking in on the Hitec support forum would give authoratative info.

I have both wings on Y's on my GP Ultimate, but I am using 5645's by choice on that.

Thanks for the opening comment.... I'll add this "Y" info to my webpage when we get Hitec's answer.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
dougpeck

So , nc, how do you set up radio for "spoilers" ? Do you have to use a separate channel and click on it when you want to do high alpha? I'm not ready for those kinds of manoevers yet but still interested in how to set up.

Thanks much, guys , for help !
Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 PM
dougpeck

BTW , Bob, how do you get up to 3111 posts ! Is this your full-time job? If so, how do I apply for it?
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 PM
ncrego

To set it up for spoilers, just set up flaperons, you'll have to anyway. The planes I've set up on the DX7 so far are all set up with flaperon, and by default, the flap switch towards the back was spoilers, middle was no flap or spoiler, and front was flaps. SO to set up spoilers, you'd just adjust the values in the flap screen for your desired results. So the way it works is you pull the nose up into high alpha and once it transitions, flip the switch for spoilers, and you're good. When you finish, flip back and they are off.