Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX 7 Back-up battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 PM
nibs
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX 7 Back-up battery

Sorry if this has been answered before:
1) Does the DX 7 (US Version, Mode 2) use a back-up battery or not? Reading conflicting information here and in magazines.
2) Anyone read the Feb RC Report? There's a picture of a lead - with the comment "I have no idea what this is" I believe to have read this is some kind of RX/voltage "thingy" but I cannot locate any other info.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:34 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: DX 7 Back-up battery

Most transmitters today use non volatle ram to store configuration information so while I dont know 100 percent for that particular radio I highly doubt it.

That thingy is a binding cable, the transmitter comes bound to the receiver it ships with but if you purchase additional recievers they must be bound to that transmitter.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:37 PM
nibs

Thanks for the info. I know most Futaba, Hitec TX use non-volatile RAM, but the recent JR radios have a small lithium back-up battery. I remember reading somewhere on RCU that the Spektrum for US sales uses a similar non-volatile RAM without a back-up battery, but the units for Aussie etc do have that battery, which requires (non-user) replacement every 3 years or so. The Feb RC Report magazine however states it does have this back-up battery.

Re: Binding plug. No, this is not the unit. This is in addition to the binding-plug. Again, I read (somewhere?) that when attached to the RX it allows the RX to operate down to something like 3.6V, but darn if I can find the articles, even after much searching.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The little device in the R/C REPORT article that is labeled "I have no idea what this is" is simply a device that you clip your binding plugs to

The string loop can be affixed to the transmitter carrying handle so you don't lose the binding plug.

Nothing electronic about it.

There's 2 "flavors" of binding plugs too. One to plug into the charge jack and one to plug into your receiver.

Both will work the same way by connecting the signal lead to ground.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
nibs

Thanks Dick, as always you come to the rescue! I like GB's idea of storing that pesky little thing in the TX battery compartment - I tend to lose the small "stuff"

Any comment on the back-up battery?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backup battery?

I don't know for sure, but I'll ask around and get back with the group.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:26 PM
onewasp

DX7 uses a Flash microcontroller. There is no Li backup battery.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Newc

Say, Dick -

You might want to mention - you may be either the first or the one-hundreth - to GB that his discussion regarding the DSC on the DX-7 (page 27) makes no sense when he goes into the need to extend the Tx antenna to prevent overheating. The DX-7 antenna doesn't collapse or extend, it just 'is'.

Keep up the great work with RCR.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:24 PM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

What??---Now the DX7 review in "RC Report" (March 07) says it DOES use a "Back/up battery"---True/False??---
Old 02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
dflier

ORIGINAL: tande

What??---Now the DX7 review in "RC Report" (March 07) says it DOES use a "Back/up battery"---True/False??---
Neither the DX7 or the JR 7202 use a back up battery, they use flash memory. That has always bugged me about JR. I think most everyone else has used flash memory for years and until now, if your JR died, it had to go back to JR for repair.

Dave
Old 02-23-2007, 12:36 AM
wabash

I can't speak for the DX7, but the DX6 manual has a "Lithium Battery" note on page 22 that says, "The DX6 has a 5-year lithium battery to protect your programmed data against main transmitter battery failure. If your system displays "error" or your data resets to the factory defaults, return your transmitter to Horizon Service Center for lithium battrry replacement.