RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Old 02-13-2007, 08:23 PM
ABELL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Spektrum DX-7

I've read a couple of reviews on the new Spektrum and I'm still having trouble understanding how it works. Does it have different frequencies like the 75MHz and 27MHz radios. I know it's 2.4GHz, does that mean that ther are 100's of frequencies on that band and chances are slim that some one else has the same freq. as you ? I don't think it has crystals so how does it communicate with just your reciever? They advertise you go to the field and you can cut it on without worring about being on someone esles freq. This radio will just " talk " to your airplane, no one elses. Is each radio tuned to just the reciever that comes with it? I know it is a two reciever system. Is the satelite reciever a "crystal" ? If you have more than one plane it won't respond unless its on the right model, is each plane on different frequencies ? Don't get me wrong my 6 channel Tower radio has about two channels more than I need right now, so I'm not going to rush out and buy one. I'm just curious. If you have more than one plane you'll need more than one flight pack how is the cost comparied to the "old" stuff. Like I said I'm just curious
Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 PM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

Here's an idea:

Go to the Horizon Hobby website, and there's lots of links that provide answers to your questions. It's been beaten to death here already.

www.horizonhobby.com

Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 PM
ABELL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks , I'm pretty new at this and stay on the Begginer's page. I didnt think to look here. I've got about all the answers I need on a long running thread here. I had posted this on the Begginers Forum but I think one of moderators moved it here so it's a usless post really.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 PM
bruce88123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No post is useless. It gave you a chance to find the correct thread to read. You got a question, post it. If it is in the wrong place, it may get moved to where it belongs but there's nothing wrong with that either.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ABELL

Thanks , I'm pretty new at this and stay on the Begginer's page. I didnt think to look here. I've got about all the answers I need on a long running thread here. I had posted this on the Begginers Forum but I think one of moderators moved it here so it's a usless post really.
Don't hesitate to post questions, even if they are repeats. Sometimes we can't all know everything on every thread on every forum.... so.... ask away!

I have come to truly HATE ---- I mean absolutely DESPISE ----- those honkin' huge threads because of two things that just drive me nuts..... 1) OFF topic.... after all of the "real" info has been beaten up over and over, the talk turns to who knows WHAT, then the monster gets even MORE unmanageable and 2) IMPOSSIBLE to locate useful info that is buried....because the search function is so freakin' weak. You know what I mean... the "answer" to something you want to know is in the middle of page 18 on a 47 page thread.

WHO in their right mind is gonna wade through all that b.s. on the "hope" that their info is posted?

Post any question, anytime, as much as you want.... in my humble opinion....
Old 02-14-2007, 01:12 AM
alan0899

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G'day Bob,
I say, Good On Ya, that is soooo true.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:57 AM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A "Pastie " page on radio setup would be nice -
(right word?)
Old 02-14-2007, 08:33 AM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've read a couple of reviews on the new Spektrum and I'm still having trouble understanding how it works.
A ‘Spread Spectrum’ Google search will provide a broad range of information about the 50-year-old technology.

Bill
Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If its any comfort to you, I am an Electrical Engineer and I don't know how it works.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

aerobob hit the nail squarly on the head. I'm not reading a 50 page thread to find a tid bit of info, 20 is about my limit. It would be nice if the search engine used on rcu would take you to the page with the search data instead of the beginning of these monster threads. Oh well, sorry to go OT.
Edwin
Old 02-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's why I have my webpage section on the DX 7..... www.rcaerobats.net See the "Spektrum DX 7" link on main page.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
onewasp

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BillS,
{Quote}
A ‘Spread Spectrum’ Google search will provide a broad range of information about the 50-year-old technology.
{Quote}

I understand what you have said Bill, but the 'impression' your comment left with me (nothing new under the sun) is not at all true about its RC application.

A short range technology has been stroked and massaged until it will give true RC full range performance------and THAT is news!
Also it does so without interfering with the myriad 2.4GHz applications which exist.

Super Heterodyne is still used in some 'modern' designs and as you probably are aware that goes back to the Army Signal Corps. and Edwin Armstrong in the 20's. The ideas are old the application is new.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 PM
RaceCity

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you REALLY do a search, you'll find that a variant of S/S was used at the turn of the century (pre-1900) to control a submarine remotely.

This is an old technology, that is just incredible. The military/gov't/law enforcement loves it because it's difficult to identify, jam or otherwise corrupt.

FDR and Winston Churchill communicated with one another during WW2 via S/S transmissions to avoid enemy interceptions.

I believe the reason we haven't seen it sooner is due to a lack of "standards" which now exist for it's use. Unlike "dumb" systems on 27/49/72/75mhz, all devices operating on the ISM (industrial science and machines) band MUST incorporate an anti-collision technology which prevents two systems from operating on the same frequencies, etc.

We are experiencing a revolution in R/C. S/S is the best thing to happen to radio control since the advent of proportional control, and in a very short time....S/S will be the standard.

Modules upgrades? Yeah. OK... Keep waiting.

S/S is here, and it's better.