Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Futaba 2.4ghz 6ch spektrum

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:11 PM
chrisF test pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Futaba 2.4ghz 6ch spektrum

You're claiming collisions can't or don't happen?
Define what you mean by collisions, because I think you are applying the wrong terminology. And you keep repeating the same thing over and over not listening to anyone but your self, doesnt sound much like gathering meaningful information to me. Go read the link I provided, and you will see that what I am saying is true, and not marketing hype as you put it, as it comes from a chip maker, not anyone involved with SS in RC.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
hilgert
My Feedback: (2)

After-post OK is given...
ORIGINAL: onewasp

bobzilla

True or false?

Originally Posted by hilgert
Actually, the AR7000 (and the AR6100 as well I believe) actually send back a very low-power signal to the DX7 to let it know it is a DSM2 RX, and the TX adjusts power usage accordingly (since the DSM2 transmission protocol must be more efficient in some manner, probably due to it's higher speed as it would need to be "on" less of the time). The AR6000 does not send anything back, so the DX7 stays in DSM (and not DSM2) mode.

If you guessed (I'm using the term advisedly) True then you are CORRECT!
The highest levels at Spektrum reviewed this----just as copied here and said "True".

I lost because I said no!!

Live and learn--------so now I have learned.

This is not intended as a "Gotcha" nor is it in any way intended to cast myself in any role other than 'Messenger'. Nor did I have Hilgert's OK to re-post his correction to a post I had made on another thread/site. I feel that Hilgert would go along with it if I had asked him-----at least I'm counting on it.
[img][/img][img][/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 08:41 PM
hilgert

NOT TRUE!!!

The AR7000 and AR6100 ARE 2-way. As part of the link-up process with the DX7 they let it know that they are DSM2-capable, and the DX7 converts to DSM2 mode. This occurs as a very low-power signal from the RX back to the TX. This can be proven a number of ways with the proper equipment, or with just a simple multimeter by monitoring the DX7 power usage. When talking to an AR6000 (which IS only 1-way) the DX7 will draw more current than when talking to an AR7000 or AR6100.

Or, you can just believe the designer of the Spektrum system, with whom I am confirmed this many, many months ago.

-hilgert
ORIGINAL: bobzilla

Spektum is NOT 2-way. The transmitter only transmits and the receiver only listens.

What is Model Match?
Model Match (patent pending) prevents the pilot from flying a model using the wrong memory. During binding (the process of teaching the receiver the specific code of the transmitter) the receiver actually learns and remembers the specific model memory that is selected during binding. Later if the system is turned on and a different model memory in the transmitter is selected, the system will not operate. This prevents the disastrous issue of trying to fly a model using the wrong model memory. Simply selecting the correct model in model memory will cause the system to connect.

What is DSM?
DSM or Digital Spektrum Modulation is Spektrum's proprietary method of implementing 2.4GHz spread spectrum technology for the R/C industry. DSM divides the 2.4Ghz band into 80 individual channels (frequencies) and incorporates direct sequence spread spectrum with an imbedded GUID (Globally Unique Identifier) code. DSM has been painstakingly optimized by our engineers for R/C surface and aircraft use, offering the most robust RF link in the industry.

What happens if the band is full (80 users for surface or 40 users for aircraft) and I turn on my transmitter?
In the unlikely event that all channels are occupied, the next transmitter will scan the band indefinitely until open channels are available. The transmitter will then acquire the channel(s) and begin transmitting. Only then will the system connect.

What happens if two transmitters are on the same frequency?
To be FCC legal, all 2.4Ghz devices must incorporate a collision avoidance system that prevents the system from transmitting on an already occupied frequency. The chance of two transmitters occupying the same frequency is highly unlikely. If two transmitters should somehow end up on the same frequency, other safeguards, such as the GUID and proprietary time base coding, will prevent interference. Of course, with the aircraft system, the transmitter is transmitting on two frequencies simultaneously. The odds of two transmitters transmitting on the same two frequencies is even, more unlikely but again, should this happen, other safe guards will prevent interference.

and as far as two receivers..

The receiver has an extra part attached to it. What does this part do?
The AR7000 incorporates two receivers; an internal receiver is located on the main board and the extra part your referring to is actually an external receiver. Mounting the external receiver in a slightly different location with it's antenna oriented in a different direction greatly improves the RF link in difficult environments.

and for a quick DUAL LINK explaination

What is Dual Link?
Dual Link is a breakthrough, patented feature that was first incorporated in the DX6 aircraft system. Dual Link offers the security of two-path RF redundancy. The AR6000 is actually two receivers in one. The DX6 transmitter transmits on two frequencies simultaneously while the receiver receives and decodes both sets of information. Should one signal be blocked or corrupted or should one receiver malfunction in flight, the other frequency or receiver will take over. Dual Link offers the security of having two radios operating simultaneously on two separate frequencies.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Well now I am totally confused. Is it one way, is it 2 way...What is true...what is not true...who knows. After reading this, and reading it again...I sure dont know. Does anyone else know? I think there are just too many quotes, and denials, and confirmations and speculations to make any reasonable sense out of all this. It's just gotten very muddy.
Well thats just my take on all these recent posts.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:21 PM
chrisF test pilot

Regardless of the boot process from an operational standpoint you have to consider the Spektrum a one way system. There is no communication back to the Tx during operation and there is no error correction. So to sum it up you could say it is a one way system that uses two way communication to determine RX type.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have forwared an email directly to Spektrum on a clarification on this matter.
Everything I have read, including most of hilgerts and mjrc's post on previous post..on other forums...offer no concrete or verifiable evidence of sort.
We will probably hear back from Spectrum by Tuesday at the lastest.

Speculate if you must, but I prefer to hear from the horses' mouth.

bobz

Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 PM
hilgert

ORIGINAL: chrisF test pilot

Regardless of the boot process from an operational standpoint you have to consider the Spektrum a one way system. There is no communication back to the Tx during operation and there is no error correction. So to sum it up you could say it is a one way system that uses two way communication to determine RX type.
This is the most correct explaination. At "boot time", as chrisF puts it, the AR7000 DOES COMMUNICATE WITH THE DX7. That is how the DX7 knows to switch to DSM2 mode, which is lower power usage via a higher data rate (the TX has to be transmitting less of the time, and therefore uses less power). This can easily be proven by putting a mulimeter on the TX battery in series to measure the current (make sure the meter can handle at least 500ma to be safe). Turn on the DX7 with an AR6000 RX bound to it and measure the current. Then turn it on with a DX7 bound to it (eg - a different "model" in the DX7) and measure the current (it *will* be less, as the TX has switched to DSM2 mode). There is no way the DX7 could "know" this unless the AR7000 told it somehow (and you certainly don't have any options to select RX type on the DX7 menus).

Once the "boot" is done, the system then behaves in a one-way manner during use. So, technically, it is a two-way system. Operationally, however, it *operates* as a one-way (TX only) system. Today, at least.

I have spoken with Paul Beard on this a few times many months ago (he knows a little about the system since he DESIGNED it), and this IS the way it works. The reason it's not really advertised that way is that it does not matter how it works, just that it does work.

-Hilgert
Old 02-17-2007, 08:15 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Its not a dedicated park flier but the functions it provides will likely confine it there. A flier used to a computer radio will not buy it.
I find this statement odd. What do you define as a computer radio?

The 6 EX is a computer radio. It is the 2.4 GHz version of the Futaba 6 EXAS. It contains model memories, flapperons, free surface mixes, expo and other features common to computer radios, and not found on standard radios.

It is a full range radio, which in my book means at least 3000 feet and more likely a mile. I have not seen a specific range rating. So you can fly anything that is AMA legal.

There are thousands of people who fly planes of all sizes on standard 4 channel radios. I go down to the local glow field and a lot of the pilots use standard 4 channel radios. So, if they can do that on a 4 channel standard radio, why can't they do it on a 6 channel comptuer radio?

The only difference between giant scale planes and smaller planes is the size. People were flying giant scale planes on standard radios long before there were computer radios.

In relation to giant scale, my only concern here would be whether the receiver can handle the amperage needed to work those big servos. But many giant scale pilots have externally powered boxes to handle that drain rather than try to run it through the receiver. I am sure that would work well here as well.

This radio can fly any plane of any size that uses standard R/E/A/F/Retract features. In other words it has 6 channels so it can control six functions, just like any other 6 channel radio. And it can remember the settings for multiple models, just like any other computer radio.

It also has the ability to support aileron control on separate channels. It also has two free mixers that allow you to mix any two channels. Good for flap to elevator compensation I would bet. Or Rudder to Aileron mixing. It might even allow you to do separate channels for flaps if you don't have retracts. None of my 18 planes, ranging from 30 inch to 134 inch wing spans, have retracts.

Now, if you feel you like to have more features, that is fine, or if you NEED more features, that is fine too. That is why there are higher end radios. However, to say that you can only fly parkflyers on a 6 channel comptuer radio is absurd. In fact the Futaba 6EX on 2.5 GHz or 72 MHz is probably all the radio that most sport flyers will ever need.

I have a Futaba 9C which I use for my scale sailplanes, full house sailplanes, RES sailplanes, hand launch gliders, slope gliders and small electrics. But I use it for convenience and enhancement, not because I NEED it to fly these planes. I could fly them all on a standard 4 or 6 channel radio if I wish.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:14 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So which scheme is better: Futaba's FHSS or Spektrum's DSSS?

Intuitively, hopping can lead to collision and hence to hopping more. The end result is that the response time on the receiver side can become slow when the frequency is crowded.

Am I right?

--qc

ORIGINAL: bobzilla

Here is a statement about the difference that Futaba and Spektrum utilize:

FHSS VS. DSSS
There are two primary types of Spread Spectrum technology- Frequency Hopping (FHSS)[FUTABA] and Direct Sequencing (DSSS). FHSS systems transmit a narrow band signal and rapidly jump from one frequency to the next spending a few milliseconds on each frequency. DSSS systems transmit on a single selected frequency but on a very wide band. Only a small portion of that band is used for specially encoded information. Originally, Spektrum engineers started their development with FHSS-based systems because they were relatively easy and inexpensive to develop. However, it was soon discovered that FHSS had several limitations that would prevent it from being the optimal solution for RC.

While more difficult and costly to develop, Spektrum engineers began experimenting with Direct Sequencing Spread Spectrum and optimized the modulation scheme to overcome critical response and re-link issues. In addition, DSSS offered 18dB increase of processing gain for significant improvements in range. With years of development and testing the DSSS modulation scheme was optimized for RC car use and Spektrum's DSM 2.4GHz Spread Spectrum Technology was born.

Looks like the FUTABA engineers did not reach the same conclusion that SPEKTRUM reached concerning pro-con's of each.

I really could care less which to buy..only I want the system to WORK and be relatively in-expensive.

Bobz
Old 02-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Honestly I am not sure there is a real answer to this. They both appear to work just fine so far. Perhaps over time one method or the other will prove to provide a more solid link, but right now it does not appear that either one is "better". As long as they work and do not conflict with each other (which they appear not to do) then you cannot really say which is "better". Each will of course have their marketing statements about why one is "better", but it is the real world that will determine if either truly is "better".
Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: ALbert.S

Check the spelling speKtrum speCtrum
Thread title clearly shows "SPEKTRUM"

Dave
Old 02-17-2007, 01:17 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Thread title clearly shows "SPEKTRUM"
Which is also clearly becoming like Kleenex.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:19 PM
chrisF test pilot

Spektrum is a Hroizon trademark, the title should be spelled spectrum. And like Phaedrus said, saying that one is better than the other is a bit subjective. I think the Futaba system is actually a hybrid FHDSSS system. If you look at the FCC cert it indicates that the system is DS, but from their advertising material the description of hopping every two ms is a trait of a hybrid system. The Nomadio stuff is also hybrid.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:13 PM
nonstoprc

This is from
[link=http://www.arcelect.com/DSSS_FHSS-Spead_spectrum.htm]FHSS vs DSSS[/link]. Looks like degradation will happen when multiple 2.4ghz sources are present. Note that such sources do no limit to RC radios only.

" Spread-spectrum radio is good at dodging interference from conventional sources – (signals that stay in one narrow area of the frequency band and don’t move. it doesn’t always do as well when there are other spread ,spectrum systems operating nearby, though. The more frequency-hopping transmitters operating on a band, the more likely it is that one or more of them will hop to the same frequency at the same time, garbling data that must be retransmitted. DSSS is better at resisting noise up to a certain point. However, if the combined interference throughout the band rises above a certain level, throughput dramatically drops-nearly to zero. Unfortunately, it only takes a few nearby FHSS systems to cripple a DSSS system. On the other hand, because a DSSS system is always transmitting on every frequency in the band, a nearby FHSS system may be unable to find any clear channel to hop to. In the presence of interference, FHSS usually degrades more gracefully than DSSS, but neither works well when competing at close range. "
Old 02-17-2007, 02:47 PM
chrisF test pilot

That explanation is grossly over simplified. Just because a FHSS system hops to a frequency that another system is on doesnt mean the data is going to be lost. There is a list of several criteria that have to be met for communication to be completely lost with both systems. Not to mention the fact that they hop so fast there may be no impact at all. Many factors come into play when dealing with SS communication and you simply cannot simplify to the point that they have.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:17 PM
nonstoprc

The point is to figure out the condition under which it will happen. The reference and other sources raise the possibility. Is it the case that the new spectrum technology promises non-interfence?

Maybe somebody can tell us the exact condition, such as no more than N spectrum radios should operate at the same time.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:32 PM
chrisF test pilot

Due to the number of factors involved it would be hard to say exactly what circumstances would have to exist. The Spektrum system is limited to 40 users, not sure on the Futaba but is probably close. When trying to figure out what you are asking you have to consider not only the modulation technique, but also ERP, power output, range, path loss, Rx sensitivity, SN ratios, as well as data rate. That isnt even a complete list.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: aeajr

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Its not a dedicated park flier but the functions it provides will likely confine it there. A flier used to a computer radio will not buy it.
I find this statement odd. What do you define as a computer radio?

The 6 EX is a computer radio. It is the 2.4 GHz version of the Futaba 6 EXAS. It contains model memories, flapperons, free surface mixes, expo and other features common to computer radios, and not found on standard radios.

It is a full range radio, which in my book means at least 3000 feet and more likely a mile. I have not seen a specific range rating. So you can fly anything that is AMA legal.

There are thousands of people who fly planes of all sizes on standard 4 channel radios. I go down to the local glow field and a lot of the pilots use standard 4 channel radios. So, if they can do that on a 4 channel standard radio, why can't they do it on a 6 channel comptuer radio?

The only difference between giant scale planes and smaller planes is the size. People were flying giant scale planes on standard radios long before there were computer radios.

In relation to giant scale, my only concern here would be whether the receiver can handle the amperage needed to work those big servos. But many giant scale pilots have externally powered boxes to handle that drain rather than try to run it through the receiver. I am sure that would work well here as well.

This radio can fly any plane of any size that uses standard R/E/A/F/Retract features. In other words it has 6 channels so it can control six functions, just like any other 6 channel radio. And it can remember the settings for multiple models, just like any other computer radio.

It also has the ability to support aileron control on separate channels. It also has two free mixers that allow you to mix any two channels. Good for flap to elevator compensation I would bet. Or Rudder to Aileron mixing. It might even allow you to do separate channels for flaps if you don't have retracts. None of my 18 planes, ranging from 30 inch to 134 inch wing spans, have retracts.

Now, if you feel you like to have more features, that is fine, or if you NEED more features, that is fine too. That is why there are higher end radios. However, to say that you can only fly parkflyers on a 6 channel comptuer radio is absurd. In fact the Futaba 6EX on 2.5 GHz or 72 MHz is probably all the radio that most sport flyers will ever need.

I have a Futaba 9C which I use for my scale sailplanes, full house sailplanes, RES sailplanes, hand launch gliders, slope gliders and small electrics. But I use it for convenience and enhancement, not because I NEED it to fly these planes. I could fly them all on a standard 4 or 6 channel radio if I wish.
Well the first thing that would keep me from buying it is its only 6 channels. Yes you can fly a giant scale with less than 8 channels but its a pain in the $$$. Since that has me stopped I would never get around to looking at its other features. In my book its a park flier.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:07 PM
thinano

Hi guys,

Does anybody knows if this new transmitter is available in Mode 1 ?

I havn't seen that mention in the Tower Hobby's advertissement.

Thierry
Old 02-17-2007, 05:10 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Since both Spektrum and Futaba use an ID to link the transmitter with the receiver, the chance of one picking up signals from the other is extremely remote. A corrupttion of the signal would have to occur such that it caused the transmitter ID to change from one transmitter's ID to the others. The odds are ..... way to big to even consider.

In addition, if they both happen to be on the same frequency at the same time, which could easily happen, it won't matter because the unique ID will tell each receiver which signal to listen to and which commands to excecute. Since we have no such ID in the 72 MHz band, we have to give each transmitter receiver combo exclusive use. However some of the receiver makers have come up with a way of recognizing some unique characteristics of each transmitter. This can actually prevent a shoot down on 72 MHz. But on 2.4 GHz the ID is part of the design.

It is unlikely there is a specific number limit on the Futaba set. Since it is constantly changing AND the signal has an ID, Futaba does not see a frequency as being owned. All frequencies/channels can be used by anyone at any time with no interference.

This would be similar to millions of computers on the same internet. Each computer has a unique IP address so that all the packets can travel the internet and be delivered to the right computer. The others will ignore packets not addressed to them.

Spektrum, on the other hand, does create a hard link to a specific pair of frequnecies/channels, so they say they can have 40 radios up at once. That is 40 Spektrum radios. The Futabas will be ignored and the Futabas will ignore the Spektrums.

I really don't see an issue here. Of course time will tell, but from a logic point of view there should be no conflict.

And, while 40 might seem like a limit, you would have to have 40 Spektrums. Even at a large event you could have 40 spektrums, 60 72 Mz and 100 futabas and 6 on 72 MHz and 10 on 50 MHz have no conflicts. That is 216 planes in the air at once, or 216 pilots each with a transmitter in his hand.

So it is all a non-issue.

Can you imagine 100 planes in the air at once? Cool!
Old 02-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Intuitively, hopping can lead to collision and hence to hopping more. The end result is that the response time on the receiver side can become slow when the frequency is crowded.

Am I right?

--qc
For FHSS, they're gonna generally hop all the time, irregardless of if there is a collision. For FCC & related regulations, the average power on a frequency is measured over time, so you can't be on it too long. Collisions either result in a dropped packet, or retries IF there is two way communication.

Imagine a FHSS system like this- Your tx and rx would randomly use one of the 72MHz channels that are available for a short duration. Out of CH 11 through 60, they're moving around in sync very quickly and in a psuedo-random method. The more systems operating concurrently, the higher probability of collisions.
Old 02-17-2007, 07:05 PM
chrisF test pilot

It is unlikely there is a specific number limit on the Futaba set.
Actually it is very likely, due to the available bandwidth. If you look at the FCC documentation there are 37 available channels, not 100% sure but I would say that is probably the limit. The Spektrum system has 80 channels, each Tx using two. The XPS system has 80 and only uses one per Tx. I may be wrong since the limits are arbitrary and based on the implementation. And if you wanna fly with that many airplanes, more power. Half a dozen is my limit
Old 02-17-2007, 07:19 PM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

I remember the horrible results I had with the first 14MZ G-3 receivers that were available. Don’t count on me to run right out and buy a Futaba 2.4GHZ
Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
nonstoprc

The co-existence of Spektrum and Futaba 2.4Ghz radios operating at same time probably is a difference story, depending on whether the two technologies share the bandwidth (83.5 mhz in total).

If sharing is true, then if there are 40 Specktrum radios operating, then all bandwidth are taken (the 2.4Ghz has a bandwidth of 83.5Mhz). A futaba specktrum receiver simply can not receive a signal dedicating to it, because which ever channel it hops to, the channel is "jammed" by the signal from one of the Spektrum radio. This is true regardless how Futaba FHSS divides the 2.4Ghz band.

Reversely, if the entire 2.4ghz band is taken by Futaba radios at the moment, then because each does the hopping, a SpeKtrum radio will not be able to get a clear channel.

So the bottom line is that FHSS and DSSS should not share the 2.4ghz bandwidth.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

I'm not going to have an endless argument with you about this. However, a collision occurs when two or more transmitting sources attempt to send on the same channel at the same time. It can happen, it does happen, even if only briefly and on very infrequent occasions. The GUID enters into the picture when information is clearly received or at least when it's received with enough intact for error correction schemes to work. A receiver can't event see a GUID being transmitted if it just happens to be interfered with. I invite you to take your own advice and find out just exactly how it does work, then maybe this will make more sense to you. Tossing insults just because you aren't aware of how some scenarios can occur isn't all that productive.

Anyway, the real point is this. As I already said, collisions should be rare and uneventful in ordinary use. That doesn't sound too alarming, does it? I am suggesting that the manufacturers get together and test for worst case uses, where a large number of transmitters may be in simultaneous use. The reason for this seems straightforward. If it can be proven that there is no limit (other than the max available channels) to the number or mix ratio of one brand to another, then that's great. However, if it turns out that when there are X Spektrums and Y FASST systems on and there is an observable slowdown in response or possibly a loss of control here and there, then event directors who run large events would benefit from having that information. Are you opposed to that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.