Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics to Futaba Buddy Cord

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 12:39 AM
flynhenz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics to Futaba Buddy Cord

Hello All,

Does anyone know how to link an Airtronics and Futabal radio with a buddy cord for training? I think it may be possible to splice a buddy cable and attach the appropriate end. Has anyone ever done this or heard of it being done? Thanks
Old 02-09-2003, 12:51 AM
CP140

Hmmm, while you might be able to get the ends to match, I'm not sure it would work. I seem to recall reading (perhaps in this forum) that buddy boxes(different connectors aside) are specific to the manufacturer...ie Airtronics with Airtronics, JR with JR etc... I'm thinking it might be a problem with how the info is actually encoded as it passes back and forth between the master xmtr/buddy box...although I'd be willing to be proved wrong
Old 02-09-2003, 05:56 AM
strato911

As I understand it, the data passed through the buddy cord is the data normally sent to the RF deck (transmision circuit). Therefore, as long as both systems use the same frequency shift, a buddy cord can be made to work.
In other words, if I understand it correctly, Futaba (-ve shift) and Airtronics (+ve shift) are not compatible via the buddy cord, even if you make the plugs fit.

I could be wrong though, so if anyone has a correction to add, fire away...
Old 02-09-2003, 10:02 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refer to the section:
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads.Simulators.Interface"

Simulators

Aerochopper Review
CSM
Dave Brown RCFS 2001
Easy Fly ******
Flight Simulator - Manuel Gonzales
Fly RC free simulator = Ron's Software Page
FMS Homepage
FMS - models
Offshore Sailing - Free simulator
Paolo Zini's RC directory
Pre-Flight (FreeDownload - buy interface kit)
RealFlight Model Swap
RealFlight Home Page
RC New Zealand - skins for realflight
Sail simulator.com - Free download
Tru-Flite Technology
Vertigo flight simulator

Simulator controllers

Build an R/C Stick Joystick - The Flying Penguin
Futaba Controller - TX Conversion - RCFU
RC Flight simulator cable etc
REAL Flight Controller
Ron's Software Page
TX Interface for FMS 2.0 beta 6 & 7 Flight sim
TX PC Interface etc - Ken Hewitt

Trainer Cords and Lead pinouts etc

Airtronics (AM_FM) Trainer Cord
Buddy box lead info
Intelligent Buddy Box Lead - JR to Hitec or Futaba
JR Buddy Box lead - RC Planet
JR Buddy box lead - antoon - gadgets
Futaba (FM) Trainer Cord
Futaba (AM) Trainer Cord
Misc RC leads etc - Ken Hewitt
Multiplex to Hitec or Futaba buddy lead schematic
R/C Connectors (2 of 3) - Maxxpro
Servos Wiring Diagrams

Buddy Box System Operation - RCFU
TX 2 TX
In Particular TX 2 TX.
regards
Alan T.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:45 PM
strato911

Based upon further reading, it seems I was mostly right: +ve shift and -ve shift systems are not compatible, unless a computerized interface is designed to compensate for the shifts. Also, since some radio manufacturers assign their channels to different sticks, that will also require a computerized interface.

Alan's website lead me to another site with an excelent discussion about TX - TX buddy cord compatability: http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb1.htm
Old 02-10-2003, 02:34 AM
flynhenz
My Feedback: (1)

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks to all who posted amswers to my question. This truly is a great hobby and a great forum. Hey for those who might be having similar problems this site my be of some help. I think I am going to give this a try.
http://home.attbi.com/~varkos/HA-1/roger.html
Old 02-10-2003, 07:22 PM
olivier

Hello,

I know of one Frenchie who connected an Airtronics (Sanwa) Vanguard to a JR X-3810ADT after reading (studying...) my website, and it works, but he had to change some wirings in the Airtronics to obtain the same channel assignment on both radios.

I guess and (partly) experienced that basically all radios do have the same low frequency PPM-signal. The question is about that nice positive and negative shift problem that, for whatever reason, exists in the U.S. and not in the rest of the world. However, if I do understand something about it, that positive and negative shift is only about the HF-part, and would as such not affect the PPM-signal.

So there should be no reason that an Airtronics would not work as slave with another brand of transmitter. Eventually there should be a PPM-signal-inverter. The biggest problem (except with Multiplex as master) is the channel assignment which is different for (nearly) every brand.

So if you would decide on buying a mixer to embark in your plane together with 2 receivers, I think that should solve the channel assignment problem. You only have to connect the servo outputs of each receiver separately to the correct input of that embarked module. But not sure it would solve the positive-negative shift incompatibility. It's a tough life, no??

Please keep me informed as to mention that product in my website for the benefit of all users, thanks
Do not forget to check my website.
And those who can correct me, please do, my limited knowledge of the subject is pure experimentation and some logic, very little intelligence.
Olivier
Old 02-10-2003, 07:37 PM
strato911

Oliver,
Your site is the one I had linked to... I just posted the link directly to the english portion. According to your own website, the PPM signal already has the positive / negative shift in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54339_14637.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	33455  
Old 02-10-2003, 07:54 PM
olivier

Hi, Dennis,

To give an example : the buddy box connection on a Graupner MC12 as slave gives me a positive PPM-signal, which has to be inverted by a simple signal inverter to be understood by my Futaba/robbe radio FC18 as master. My Futaba/Robbe gives me a negative PPM-signal that must be inverted when used as slave with a MC12 as master.
But both radios can be used with the same receivers separately (being in Europe any Multiplex, JR, Graupner, Futaba, Hitec, Jeti, GWS, Act, Simprop, ...).
That's why I guess the negativie and positive shift is about HF-signal frequency shift and NOT about the PPM-code.

Any professional help??

Olivier
Old 02-10-2003, 08:10 PM
strato911

I'll concede then - This is beyond my personal or professional knowledge.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:28 PM
fish2222-RCU

Default Compatibility

I have an Airtronics Vanguard 4000 and a Futaba Conquest FM system tied together with a buddy cable. The only problem is that the right stick has the channels backwards. I did it just by making a two wire buddy cable with a 5 pin and 6 pin plug. I need to get into the airtronics radio and switch the 2 channels, but I havent had time. It looks to me like it should work...