RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Determining if digi servos are truly binding

Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Determining if digi servos are truly binding

I have some hitec digi servos in my unflown H9 Cap232g plane. When I go to full deflection on the ele I get a constant buzz, that slowly goes away as I release the stick. By hand, each ele half is very easy to move and the servos I am using are rated at 144oz (5985 servos) at 4.8V. so I am wondering if the servo is really having a hard time at full deflection. The problem I find with digi servos is they buzz off and on at all movements of the stick and sometimes quiet down. I know this is normal, but the constant buzzing at full deflection makes me wonder if this would be considered true binding or excessive stress on the servo. I can relieve some of the buzzing by using end point adjustments, but then that decreases my max throws.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:36 PM
BillS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Determining if digi servos are truly binding

After putting an amp meter on some analog servos I was very surprised at how much binding could be detected and the same test should be valid for digital servos.

Bill
Old 02-21-2007, 01:49 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If there makeing noise at full deflection,,there binding,,i have 8,,HS 5955 in my 35%,,at full deflection they dont make a sound,if they do i find out why,,,binding at the end,,might be trying to drive the ele to far,,check see if anything is hitting anywhere,,they might buzz just a little but they really shouldnt,,

NdFrSpeed
Old 02-21-2007, 01:54 PM
rmh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a digital voltmeter (a little LCD ladder ) which reads voltage in the model -( EXPERT 501)
using a partialy discharged battery - I can watch the meter change as any servo load changes -
crude but effective
I also have a WHATTMETER- which I can plug between battery and switch harness for bench testing - this also rats out any excess current drain cource.
IF-- you are using the standard old high impedance cells many use - the heavy drain on the battery -by a stalled servo --will lower the voltage and therefore the current - a LOT-- and save your bacon--maybe
However ---if you have super duper batts with extremely high output potential-- be careful that there are no sticky linkages or poorly adjusted end points - the increased current can fry the servo-- or worse!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Inline amp meter like the one Hanger 9 sells between the servo and the reciever is the way to go.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:06 PM
jzinckgra

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Inline amp meter like the one Hanger 9 sells between the servo and the reciever is the way to go.
thanks. I picked one up the other night. once I get it plugged in, what should I be looking for on the LCD meter? anotherwords if the servo is binding, the total amps would be lower than any other non-binding deflection, right? don't I need to refer to the servo specs to see what they are rated at? sorry, not good with the electronic part of the hobby
Old 02-23-2007, 01:12 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Binding will cause your current draw to go up. The sevros are trying to work more but can't because they are stuck. Try using your Tx and reduce the end point adjustment of the Servo at full deflection. Do this with the Tx and Rx turned on. You should hear the buzz start to go and eventually it should be gone entirely.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:25 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep. It will be obvious, when I setup helis they usually draw .01 or .02 at idle and can go up to over .5 amp if they are stalled.