Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Tx won't charge to capacity ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:53 PM
imxz28
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Tx won't charge to capacity ??

Brand new Futaba 6EX -PCM radio and the 600mAh Sanyo Tx cell only reaches 346mAh. If I keep cycling an it comes up more. At what point do I consider it good.
In other words. What percentage of the advertized rating is considered not good. What's the break point?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
alan0899

Default RE: New Tx won't charge to capacity ??

G'day Mate,
80% is the minimum I will use, that's 480 Ma, out of a 600 Ma pack.
If it's a new radio, how are you cycling the battery, you must give it a good balancing charge,
check here, http://members.aol.com/davthacker/balancecharging.htm

Slow is best, & what load are you using to discharge, no more than 300Ma I hope.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:32 AM
imxz28

Hi Allan,

Here's more details.
I removed the Tx 600mAh Sanyo NiCd and have cycled it 3 times at 8 cells / 50mAh / 15 hours on the Hobico Accu-Cycle. Best mAh reading is 346. The Accu-Cycle is function well on my other packs.
Futabe Service Center tells me to charge the Tx at 50mAh for 20-24 hours.

I think the pack is bad. I'll try 3 cycles at 20 hours. More on this later. Any thoughts on this ???
Old 02-23-2007, 05:34 AM
marcellus

You should be doing the 1/10C form charge with a charger that does not peak detect to balance the cells and reach full capacity. Your radio charger is ideal for that. Use your Accu-Cycle to discharge and establish what capacity you have achieved.

I've used Sanyo NiCds for years and have never had a pack that didn't achieve full capacity when new.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
imxz28

Hi and much thanks for the feedback.
I'd like clarification what you consider full capacity. Are you considering 80% rated full capacity.
I've only had a few packs that reach 100%. Most reach 90 to 95%. Again, I've had one maybe two over the years that hit 100 to 105%

Thanks again!!

ORIGINAL: marcellus
I've used Sanyo NiCds for years and have never had a pack that didn't achieve full capacity when new.