Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX-7 6100RX MALFUNCTIONS?

Old 02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
booger
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX-7 6100RX MALFUNCTIONS?

I am wanting to get a count of people that have had problems with the new 6100 reciever. I have heard of several people having the throttle cut out and it is not a bec cutoff, and have heard of the elivator going full deflection for a second and then back to normal function, I have heard of the rudder or elivator actually jambing at full deflection and the only way to reset is to unplug and plug the battery. I am not looking for any repair tips or hints just a count and description of the problem. I personally have seen all three of these things on both of my planes with the reciever high in the plane away from everything and all new equipment with a fresh battery. So, just a count of good complaints please-- thanks.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:01 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DX-7 6100RX MALFUNCTIONS?

I have a 6100 in my Extreme Flight Yak 54 and I have had zero problems. I am using a DX-7 and have about 50 flights on the plane.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 AM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Zero problems in an Ultra Stick.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:59 AM
booger

I know that there are several in the main dx-7 thread here and a couple on rcgroups that have had the same problem, check out pg 92-93 on rcg's dx-7 thread.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:31 PM
NdFrSpeed
My Feedback: (1)

Booger

If your haveing hard over servo problems,,you better check your servos and set up,,it has nothing to do with SS,,,,people flying PCM have the same problems,,its nothing to do with the radio,,its either servo problems or wireing issues,,,

NdFrSpeed
Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 AM
speedpro 1

there is a problem with some 6100s. had one take out two different planes. the first crash i thought had to be mechanical since i had such good luck with my other five ar7000s and two other ar6100. until my second plane did the same thing with totally different servos,ecs mtor etc. i did duplicte the problem in my house later. heres a prevous post. Discussion - AR6100 failure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after watching my new park flyer jet suddenly take a down elevator and crash ( i had no control of elevator) plane was only 100 feet away heres what i found after trying to duplicate problem for a couple of hours (radio and gear on for a while then off then on it finally happened heres what it did tapping on 6100 then watching elevator went to max down one second then back to neutral 10 seconds later rudder went full right and stayed there i moved rudder stick onTX NOTHNG all other controls working tapped on connector on RX rudder to neutral then the orange light went off about one second then back on has not done it again tonight
Old 02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
vintageflyer

Wow,
Bugs being worked out I guess.
What about the 7000 rec.? Anyone have problems there?
I'm planning to up grade my 14mz with either the Spektrum or the XPS. Niether is available yet so I'm looking into this very thing: who and what is having problems. Thanks for the post and the heads up.

DM
Old 02-25-2007, 11:34 PM
boosted180
My Feedback: (8)

i've had absolutely no problems with the ar6000 receiver and dx-7 transmitter.

however, i just lost my 27% katana with the ar7000. i've checked out everything and have come to the conclusion it must be the receiver. see "dx-7 related crash" in this forum. i sent it in to horizon. i should find out by the end of the week what they find.

interestingly, my friend with an ar6000 said that ONCE, the exact same thing happened to him, but he was high enough that he was able to prevent a crash.

what happend is this: roll, then neutralize the controls to stop rolling, but the plane just continues rolling! completely locked out for about 2-3 seconds, then everything is fine again. this happened to me twice. first time i was able to save it. second time it was a complete loss. my friend had the EXACT same experience in his foamie using an ar6000. he said it just happened once when he was "really far away" and never again. he doesnt seem too worried.....

overall i think the spektrum is the best radio available out there and the technology is absolutely amazing. HOWEVER, anything electronic will not ever be full-proof. things like this happen. but as time goes on, i think "bugs" will slowly get resolved. but i dont expect that it will ever be "perfect" 100% of the time.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:03 AM
speedpro 1

got a replacement 6100 from horizon a couple of days ago. they said they repaired a ant. in my unit but gave me a replacement for my peace of mind. From what my 6100 was doing its no way it was just a ant problem. i duplicted the problem with the tx only 5 feet away. elevator going full down one second then to neutral then the rudder went full right and locked there long enough to pick up the tx and see elevator alierons and throttle working perfect but moving the rudder stick on tx had no effect.touched connection at plug ins on rec rudder went to neutral then i saw orange light on rec go off and back on real quick. antenna only i dont think so have not tried the replacement yet and might not
Old 02-27-2007, 12:15 AM
speedpro 1

more from watt flyer forum Wha happen?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My UltraStick 25e committed suicide this morning. On the second flight of the day it suddenly went nose down and I was unable to make any corrections including power. This was the second flight with a new AR6100 receiver. I range checked it before the first flight and everything checked OK.

Post mortem check showed everything still working, the battery had 50% of its capacity left, so I am completely baffled as to what might have happened.

I think had it been an out of range problem, (I was about 1500 feet out at an altitude of 200 feet) that the system should have gone to fail safe.

Any clues here?
Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 AM
Doogie T MD

I also had a range problem with my ar6100rx. Powdered a Micro Jet at about 125 mph. I lost signal 3 times before it finally hit the ground. Range was about 800 ft out and up about 200 ft. We did several range tests after the crash and found out that at 600 ft to 700 ft the ar6100 would loose signal. Also checked an ar6000rx (borrowed from a friend) in the same plane and got far better reception ( 1200 + ft, or to the end of our field) with no problems. I installed an ar7000 in the Micro Jet and haven't had any problems. I'm not saying that the ar6100 is a bad product but I personally would not put one in a plane I intended to fly farther than I could throw a rock.
I have 3 planes with ar7000 receivers installed and have not had any problems with them yet.

Check this notice out on the ar6100 at: http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6641 web site
NOTICE: This is a limited range receiver designed for small close in flight. AtlantHobby.com test results show that the range is good and works well at 600+ ft. We suggest you stay close and limit blocking of the signal. visit http://www.spektrumrc.com for more details on this system.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:32 PM
booger

Well I could have hit my crashed plane easy with a rock, it was only about 120ft away and the rx was up under the canopy. It couldn't have been a fail safe proble because all of the other controls funtioned. Two seperate plane on the same day had trouble? I don't always charge my trans before I go fly but always make sure it has plenty of power but both of the times that I had trouble I had charged the night before. Maybe just quincidence but I didn't have any trouble when the transmitter battery was a little lower. -5sp
Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

I have been flying the Dx 6 for over a year and a half with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS. I recently upgraded to the DX7 and I am having all of the problems stated above occur. I have tried both the DX 6 Receiver (AR6000) and the New DX7 Receiver (AR6100). I have 2 DX7's and Receivers in 2 completely different airplanes, Both are having the same problems. When violently moving the sticks for 3D manuevers, the servos lock in a Hard Over position on all surfaces. The only way to return them to neutral is to unplug the battery. DM
Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 PM
booger

Keep posting, the more the better. Hey Mike are you a glue dobber.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in the models when hitting all sticks violently- the voltage level may drop below required level (3.6 ?) and that will possibly cause the hold - not sure - also the servos used may also cause the momentary voltage drop - again no way to tell short of inserting a Whattmeter between the ESC and the Rx -and holding the model - advancing the throtle and thrashing the sticks - takes two people to do.
When I first started flying electric - I experienced shutdowns due to motor drawing too much for the esc and rx to work correctly.
The problem went away when I got the battery/ esc/ rx/servo SIZING squared away.
So -- having seen -first hand -the elevator go to full up and hold - and then go back to normal operation after simply reconnecting the battery - I am going on a dedicated witch hunt .
first step is to use (use up) my fleet of foamies and see if the problem can be traced to a given item or condition.
My 7000 rxs have never so much as caused a second's worth of problems. and neither did my DX6 .
Something I am doing -is setting the stage for the 6100 to act up - I think it is a voltage thing -but don't know why. anyway, that is step 1
If the models pile in - a little CA and kicker and tape puts em back in service .
Old 03-02-2007, 03:06 PM
AZAV8R

I also just lost a plane with a brand new AR6100:

Mini FuntanaX
HS-55s
E-Flite 480
CC35
TP2070-3SX

I had pulled my original AR6100 out of the FuntanaX and put it in another plane while waiting on a backorder for three AR6100s. When the receivers arrived, I placed one of the new ones in the FuntanaX. On the first flight, the plane felt a little ‘strange’. It felt like the control surfaces were not returning to neutral and I had to apply opposite control input to get back to neutral – almost like the servos were not centering. This had not been a problem with previous flights on the FuntanaX with my original AR6100. I landed after the first flight with no incident.

On the second flight, the problems quickly escalated. It seemed like there were small windows of lockout and then control would return resulting in a very choppy flight. After a couple of attempts at straight and level passes, I brought the plane in for a ‘controlled’ crash. The plane cart wheeled and broke the right wing and fuse – not worth rebuilding. Post mortem everything operated properly. Charging the battery showed a usage of only a couple of hundred mAhs. I flew the plane that had the original AR6100 in it about 15 minutes later with absolutely no problems.

I was going to test the receiver in another plane, but after reading the above posts I am going to return the AR6100 to Horizon for evaluation.

20+ years of R/C flying experience.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:25 PM
speedpro 1

I hope they evaluate your 6100 problem better than they did mine
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 AM
Rod Bender

Damn glad I found this thread,

Local hobby stores are pushing the worry free sales line on these new DX7's, but it sounds like they've generated a batch\lot of BAD rx's, or did a rev on the original, and it was a bad one. I'm still flying a 72mhz system, but we have a problem with our club being semi close to a under developed business park. Lots of 4 lane roads that make great runways for weekend bandit flyers. Our club is probably 1/4 to 1/2 mile crows fly. We have hits or glitches almost every day. I was hoping this DX7 would safeguard me from everything. But after reading some of these post's, it seems Spektrum has some quality issues to resolve.

I talked with a sales mgr for a large hobby retailer, and he informed me that Spektrum, Futaba, and others should have more inviting systems ready in 10 months. Like 8-10ch radios instead of the 6 or 7 ch now. I may just wait and let em debug the systems ..... Greg
Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
jnmohn

I have had one crash with the 7000 receiver on my 8 lb. World model P39. On probable the 10th flight the plane after about one minute of flight time locked up. I have no controls from anything. The plane was up about 300 feet and in level flight at the time. It made a huge cratter in the field. The plane was a total loss. The receiver still works? I will not use it again until I figure out the problem. It wasn't the ESC as Castle just checked that out for me and couldn't find anything wrong. Battery was only a few flights old and fully charged.

I have also has two AR6000 receivers lock up, but fortunatly I was on the taxiway at the time. The AR6000s were new and now will not bind to my transmitter. I sent them back and am waiting for a reply. I also have two new DX6 receivers that will not bind to my DX7 radio. I love the idea of no pins, but now am scared to fly my planes with the DX7 radio.

What's uP!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 PM
booger

It may very well be in the transmitter, mine only seamed to give me trouble after I charged it. This doesn't mean thats the only problem though. Horizon has my gear now and they can't find anything wrong with it. I told them I wasn't going to fly with it and that they should put it in a plane and really test it in flight. Being nice I even offered them my motor and speed control so they could have the same equipment. No word yet. If they can't get it right I think I will look at the Futaba set up.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:32 AM
vintageflyer

I'm sorry to hear about your P39. If Horizon can't pinpiont the problem, have you considered having Tony Stillman @ Radio South have a look at it?

DM
Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Rod Bender

Sorry for your loss jnmohn and any others,

This is exactly WHY this radio technology was developed, to avoid these types of incidents. As stated before, at our club location, were hit almost every day on 72mhz, multiple freq's across the board. The DX7 looked to be our salvation, but now I understand it to be nothing more than a question mark as to why these malfunctions are happening. There were 2 guys at the field yesterday afternoon flying e-planes and e-copters, both swore the DX7 was the best thing since sliced bread, neither one of them ever had a problem.

With the planes I'm about to start flying, the DX7 was to be my insurance of no accidents while flying (other than pilot error, but that hasn't happened it quite a while) now I'm in question as to why SOME of these systems are having this problem? Same production time period? revision periods on the TX modules? There has to be something indicating what and why these select systems are having this issue. But with Horizon coming back without an answer, it makes all the more of a question mark\headache.... I read with anticipation .... Greg
Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Rod Bender

In response to Doogie T MD,

It's interesting that Atlanta Hobby indicated the fact of the AR6100 having a range issue for close flying applications with the provided link http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6641 . Yet the link provided for Spektrum http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6100, they don't mention a word about the range issue, this really alarms me...... [] .... Greg
Old 03-13-2007, 09:25 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alarm!!!!!!!!!!!
no -
the range is not a problem. it has excellent range -as far as I can still see -- my 36"span 400 sq in red n white foamie - the rx works and I know that to be almost 2000 ft. being all Depron, there is likely no shielding happening on THIS model.
there may be other issues (BEC??)-but range ?
Nope -
Old 03-13-2007, 09:30 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Two things...
1. Atlanta Hobby does NOT have primary product liability
2. Spektrum DOES

Choose authoritative information sources with care.... vett sources, and authenticate accuracy based on "following the money".
Just a suggestion.

ORIGINAL: Rod Bender

In response to Doogie T MD,

It's interesting that Atlanta Hobby indicated the fact of the AR6100 having a range issue for close flying applications with the provided link http://www.atlantahobby.com/shopexd.asp?id=6641 . Yet the link provided for Spektrum http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM6100, they don't mention a word about the range issue, this really alarms me...... [] .... Greg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.