Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Confused about Mode 1 or 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Bananaskin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused about Mode 1 or 2

Hi,

Being a resurected newbie to RC and having assembled my ARTF Trainer. I am a bit confused about mode 1 or mode 2 controls. I have a HITEC Laser 6 TX and RX with 4 servo's installed.

Now I appreciate that left controls on the TX control throtle and flying surface and right controls control 2 other flying surfaces.

Being a bit fresh to this hobby, I also noticed on my TX that I have a AUX which resembles a volume control. Would I be wise to connect the servo on the RX to the channel that is controlled by this knob or is that a no no ??

Also, would anyone have any links to what the flying surfaces do, I may need to reverse my controls and would hate to use a tank of fuel trying to take off when I am actually trying to bury the plane into the tarmac/field

Help appreciated

------------------------------------
Regards Michael
Old 02-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Steve Lewin

Try the Beginner info at http://www.rcflightunlimited.com

That will tell you what you need.

You'll se that if the throttle (with the rachet) is on the left it is Mode 2. You will not need the 5th and 6th channels for your trainer.

Steve
Old 02-11-2003, 04:14 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

You REALLY need to make contact w/a proficient RC pilot, and get advice, and flight instruction from him/her. The most likely place to go is you local hobby shop, if you don't know anyone. Please do this before you even THINK about altering modes, or using aux. channels.

GOOD LUCK, Bill
Old 02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Bananaskin

Originally posted by bill white
You REALLY need to make contact w/a proficient RC pilot, and get advice, and flight instruction from him/her. The most likely place to go is you local hobby shop, if you don't know anyone. Please do this before you even THINK about altering modes, or using aux. channels.

GOOD LUCK, Bill
Am going down to a local club on Saturday, however the chairman has stated that all their flyers fly mode 1, but I feel more comfortable with mode 2. Suppose it will be a learning curve, hopefully not a downward spiral
Old 02-11-2003, 05:29 PM
strato911

Normal mode 2 is setup like this:

Left stick has a ratchet on the vertical movement - this is used for throttle.
Left stick horizontal movement is used for rudder.
Right stick vertical movement is used for elevator.
Right stick horizontal movement is used for ailerons.

If I recall correctly, the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2 is thae left and right sticks are exactly reversed. Most people in North America fly mode 2, so the radios are shipped with that configuration.

The knob you mentioned is ussually used for flaps, which your trainer won't have. Since your radio is a 6 channel, you will also have another channel available, ussually a switch for retractable landing gear.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Bananaskin

Originally posted by strato911
Normal mode 2 is setup like this:

Left stick has a ratchet on the vertical movement - this is used for throttle.
Left stick horizontal movement is used for rudder.
Right stick vertical movement is used for elevator.
Right stick horizontal movement is used for ailerons.

If I recall correctly, the difference between Mode 1 and Mode 2 is thae left and right sticks are exactly reversed. Most people in North America fly mode 2, so the radios are shipped with that configuration.
Thats correct, to be honest I prefer to use left habd for throtle and right for surfaces, makes more sense to me, than using a non ratcheted control for throtle

Michael
Old 02-11-2003, 09:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Bananaskin

Thats correct, to be honest I prefer to use left habd for throtle and right for surfaces, makes more sense to me, than using a non ratcheted control for throtle

Michael
Sorry, but not correct. The only difference between Mode 1 and 2 is the throttle and elevator are reversed. On both setups, aileron is on the right stick and rudder on the left.

John
Old 02-11-2003, 09:39 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Am going down to a local club on Saturday, however the chairman has stated that all their flyers fly mode 1, but I feel more comfortable with mode 2. Suppose it will be a learning curve, hopefully not a downward spiral
This is probably correct as Mode 1 is very popular everywhere except the U.S. Since you are in Ireland, I would be surprised if the other modelers in your area flew anything other than Mode 1.

If you are new to the hobby, and do not have any experience a stick R/C radio. how can you be more comfortable with one mode over the other?

Mode 1 has distinct advantages over Mode 2 in precision flying. The elevator and aileron are on different sticks which means you are less likely to move the elevator when pushing aileron or vice versa. Mode 2 OTOH is very easy to learn as you only have to concentrate on one hand instead of co-ordinating both hands while you are trying to make the model do what you want it to do.

John
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

On a Mode 1 radio, the right hand stick is ratcheted for throttle and the left is not. The throttle is always ratcheted unless you were to go in and remove the ratchet and add the centering spring.

John
Old 02-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Bananaskin

Originally posted by JWN

If you are new to the hobby, and do not have any experience a stick R/C radio. how can you be more comfortable with one mode over the other?
Maybe comfortable was the wrong word, I should maybe have used confident. Seeing as you explain it quite clearly below the reason why I would feel confident or comfortable

Mode 2 OTOH is very easy to learn as you only have to concentrate on one hand instead of co-ordinating both hands while you are trying to make the model do what you want it to do.

Confusingly, Michael
Old 02-12-2003, 06:48 AM
Bananaskin

Originally posted by JWN

On a Mode 1 radio, the right hand stick is ratcheted for throttle and the left is not. The throttle is always ratcheted unless you were to go in and remove the ratchet and add the centering spring.

John
Well my TX is a HITEC Laser 6 and the left hand control is ratcheted.

Regards, Michael
Old 02-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Lynx

If you're flying planes, leave it just like it is. If you're gonna fly a Helli leave it just like it is only remove the ratchet (it's annoying cause Helli's need constant throttle adjustment planes don't) You can switch mode 1/2 in the transmitter by opening up and reversing the wires for the pots connected to the vertical axis of both sticks, and swapping the throttle ratchet with the spring. It's entirely up to your preference.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:37 AM
rorywquin

Originally posted by JWN

This is probably correct as Mode 1 is very popular everywhere except the U.S. Since you are in Ireland, I would be surprised if the other modelers in your area flew anything other than Mode 1.

John
I have lived and flown in both the UK and Holland and have yet to see a mode 1 flyer! IMHO Mode 2 seems to be the dominant setup over here !

I believe that mode 1 stems from the limitations experienced in the early days of r/c units (don't ask me why).

I think it would be easier for a beginner to have roll and pitch on one stick (throttle usually stays in one place in the first few flights) rather than trying to co-ordinate the axis on two hands!

A competent instructor should be easily able to handle a trainer, and instruct on it, in mode 2 even if he/she usually flies mode 1!
Old 02-12-2003, 09:53 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default Modes

Mode 1 RULES DownUnder guys!

But mode 2 flyers are OK by me, no discrimination here! As long as you fly, it's all OK! When learning however, you will as a matter of practicality need to use the mode your instructor uses.

Keep 'em flying & have fun!

fiery
Old 02-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Nitroholic-disabled

Default Re: Modes

Originally posted by fiery
Mode 1 RULES DownUnder guys!

When learning however, you will as a matter of practicality need to use the mode your instructor uses.

Keep 'em flying & have fun!

fiery
Can you use a buddy cord and be different modes according to jr you can but I have not tried it
Old 02-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Steve Lewin

Yes a buddy lead will allow you to "swap" modes. I've done it a few times as I (and pretty well everyone locally) fly Mode 2 but some of my friends from elsewhere in the country fly Mode 1. When I'm visiting, the buddy lead allows us to fly one anothers models in comfort.

Steve
Old 02-12-2003, 02:37 PM
rorywquin

On both the Multiplex Cockpit MM and the new Royal Evo transmitters you chan change modes without affecting anything else on the transmitter or aeroplane. No muss, no fuss, no buddy cord
Old 02-12-2003, 03:57 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by Lynx
If you're flying planes, leave it just like it is. If you're gonna fly a Helli leave it just like it is only remove the ratchet (it's annoying cause Helli's need constant throttle adjustment planes don't) You can switch mode 1/2 in the transmitter by opening up and reversing the wires for the pots connected to the vertical axis of both sticks, and swapping the throttle ratchet with the spring. It's entirely up to your preference.
Don't forget to swap trims as well. That is, unless you intentionally want cross trims.

John
Old 02-12-2003, 04:05 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Originally posted by rorywquin

I have lived and flown in both the UK and Holland and have yet to see a mode 1 flyer! IMHO Mode 2 seems to be the dominant setup over here !

I believe that mode 1 stems from the limitations experienced in the early days of r/c units (don't ask me why).

I think it would be easier for a beginner to have roll and pitch on one stick (throttle usually stays in one place in the first few flights) rather than trying to co-ordinate the axis on two hands!

A competent instructor should be easily able to handle a trainer, and instruct on it, in mode 2 even if he/she usually flies mode 1!
That'a interesting. I've talked with a few UK fliers ,from a couple of years back, who have told me the opposite. Oh well, whatever floats your boat

John - Mode 2 forever!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:02 PM
ec121k

Mode one actually originated in the early two stick days because it was a natural for most who flew reeds. The aileron and rudder toggles were on the right and the elevator and throttle were on the left. Since the elevator and ailerons were and still are the most used controls, it was a much easier transition to proportional from reeds and toggle switches.

Actually as I remember it, the first proportional system to hit the market in the States was a single stick system using a three axis stick. The name was Space Control and I believe it hit about 1963 or 4.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Bananaskin

Originally posted by ec121k
Actually as I remember it, the first proportional system to hit the market in the States was a single stick system using a three axis stick. The name was Space Control and I believe it hit about 1963 or 4.
You Remember ???

Michael
Old 02-13-2003, 09:21 AM
Nitroholic-disabled

On both the Multiplex Cockpit MM and the new Royal Evo transmitters you chan change modes without affecting anything else on the transmitter or aeroplane. No muss, no fuss, no buddy co
rd
marvellous but I dont know if there in aus yet and how do they go about changing the friction or rachet and spring on the throttle
Old 02-13-2003, 10:16 AM
ec121k

ALL RIGHT BANANASKIN!!! You must have been talking with my wife.

I do remember and I'm a grandfather but not that old yet! I was very young when I saw those first Space Control systems being flown by Norm Holland up in Syracuse, N.Y. and Pappy DeBolt. One of the guys (he's really old) in our area here in Lancaster, Pa. had one too. Those systems worked "kinda" they tell me but did have their problems. The airborne system was a "brick". (All in one housing except for the aileron servo.) I couldn't afford one being in 9th grade and not having the $600 or so that they cost.

It was the very beginning of our present level of technology. That first system was Analog and it didn't take long for others to realize that digital was the way to go.

ENOUGH!!!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:43 AM
rorywquin

Originally posted by Nitroholic

marvellous but I dont know if there in aus yet and how do they go about changing the friction or rachet and spring on the throttle
Good point - hadn't thought of that - however in the Cockpit and RE it is not at all difficult to change racheting / friction sides (possibly a 2 minute exercise.... turn 2 screws in and 2 others out, with the provided screwdriver).
Old 02-15-2003, 04:22 AM
Nitroholic-disabled

Good point - hadn't thought of that - however in the Cockpit and RE it is not at all difficult to change racheting / friction sides (possibly a 2 minute exercise.... turn 2 screws in and 2 others out, with the provided screwdriver).
My radio is similar but it takes half an hour to change so if my instructor was mode 1 and I was mode 2 it would be best to use a buddy cord i think