RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why are Multiplex users so darned evangelical about it?

Old 02-11-2003, 04:13 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why are Multiplex users so darned evangelical about it?

Example:
If you want a second elevator servo with a Multiplex Tx, choose any channel that you want, not dictated by the manufacturer, and the programming is as follows:

Assign servo X = elevator

That’s it. No kidding.

There is a current JR8103 thread that quotes the following instructions from Danny Snyder about how to program a second elevator servo. In the end it gets the same effect as the Multiplex but which one do you think is easier to program? Now do you begin to see why Mpx users rave about the programming of Mpx?

""These are the mixing direction sent to me from Danny Snyder from JR they worked perfect on my 8103

Dual Elevator Servo Set-Up

Now we will set up the elevators, so that we will have channels 3 and 7 working together. You will plug the right elevator into channel 3, and the left elevator into channel 7. Press the up key till you get to mix 5 or 6. We will use 5 or 6, as they are including mixes, meaning the elevator trim lever will operate both channels. If you do this mix on any other mix, the elevator trim will not work the second channel. Press the + key and change the first channel until it says elev. Press the channel key over to the second channel. Press the – key to change the second channel to SPOI. Make sure that beside SW: it says ON. If not, press the select key till the arrow points at SW, and press the + key to make this say ON. Press the select key till the arrow points at Rate: and make the percentage 100% by pressing the + key. Then move the elevator stick, and the arrow will move to the 0% in one direction of movement. Make this 100% also with the + key. Now we have the elevator working on both channels, but the aux 2 knob will operate the second channel. To eliminate this, will use another mix. For this mix, I would use mix 3. Press the DN key to get to this mix. Once at the mix, press the + key till it says SPOI for the first channel. Press the channel key so that the second channel is underlined. Press the + key and make the second channel is SPOI. Then press the select key till the arrow points at Rate. Press the – key till it says -100%. Then rotate the aux 2 knob, which is on the top left hand side. Rotate this until the points at the 0%. Press the – key till it says –100% also. This completes the set up of the elevators.""
Old 02-11-2003, 04:15 PM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Congrats! Throw an MPX party.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:07 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry, it really isn't fair to compare the radio you use to a JR8301. In the states your radio cost a lot more than the 8301. A better comparison would have been against the 10X.

There is no doubt that the upper end Multiplex radios are at the high end for radio programming flexibility. However, I only need to press one button on my ZAP to run dual elevators. Yes, the channels are preassigned (ch2 and ch5 in the case of the ZAP), but I could change it to another channel by mixing if I really wanted to, but why would I need or want to? What situation could possibly occur where you MUST use ch5 for something else?
Old 02-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It should also be mentioned that the Futaba 9C will support twin elevator servos, and that radio definitely costs less than the MPX. All I have to do is go to the Ailevator menu and hit Activate. Again, as MonkeyBoy pointed out, I could run the other servo on another channel using one mix, but when do I really NEED to do that? The channel assignment will benefit literally less than 1% of all modelers out there.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:05 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
Harry, it really isn't fair to compare the radio you use to a JR8301. In the states your radio cost a lot more than the 8301. A better comparison would have been against the 10X.
Really? Multiplex RE9 channel costs same as the 8+1 channel 9C here. Mpx RE7 channel is £30 more than an 8103. And in the USA at the moment you can get a 9 channel Mpx 3030 for about $350 compared to what for an 8+1 channel 9C? Those are hardly 10X prices.

Harry
Old 02-11-2003, 06:18 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by HarryC
Example:
If you want a second elevator servo with a Multiplex Tx, choose any channel that you want, not dictated by the manufacturer, and the programming is as follows:

Assign servo X = elevator

That’s it. No kidding.

Now I see why the JR is so much easier to use. They spell everything out, from plugging in the servos, which buttons to press, and why things work the way they do. Your example doesn't cover any of that. I certainly hope the manual is more like the JR example below, or I can see Multiplex will remain a minor player in the US market.

Extremely biased review, no?

You used a radio that wasn't equivalent to the Multiplex example. Use the 10X and its very simple to setup. If we are going to dispense with end point setup, reversing, text descriptions how to access the function, button presses, etc that are required in both situations, but you left out on the Multiplex example, it would be more like this;

Multiplex = Assign servo X = elevator
JR 10X = Enable Dual Elevator, turn on trim linking

If you want to compare radios, at least do it fairly and without bias. But then again, I guess thats what this whole thread topic is about, isn't it?

But I would say Multiplex users are no different from the same JR, Futaba, or Airtronics fanatics. We are all fanatics about our chosen radios, airplanes, engines, or tools.

(edit: After reading this myself, it sounds much harsher than I intended. Just read it light in tone. I'm not bashing at all)
Old 02-11-2003, 06:31 PM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by sfaust

But I would say Multiplex users are no different from the same JR, Futaba, or Airtronics fanatics. [/B]
NOW you've nailed it. You won't see too many folks saying how dumb it was that they just spent X-hundred dollars on a new (fill in the blank with YOUR favorite) radio.

I'm USED to the "maniacal" JR stuff, so I like it and will probably keep on doing so.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:39 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry, I'll have to take your word on prices... mainly because I actually tried to price out a Multiplex radio today by calling the US distributor and all I got was an answering machine that won't take messages. However, the greeting message was very clear as to when the RC cars are raced at their track... like I care.

I'm not opposed to looking at all there is. I like my ZAP, but there are some features in the 10X I wish I had, but then again, there are some things I'd miss in my ZAP if I had a 10 X. I figured I'd look at a Multiplex RE12, but I guess the current US distributor is more interested in racing RC cars... so be it.

Anyway, as for your "presto it is done" explanation, if you look at the online manual for the RE on page 104, setting up dual elevators on the RE it is clearly a four step process that can involve multiple key presses. I activate dual elevators on a ZAP with one keystroke, literally, I just press activate on the predefined dual elevator mix.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:15 PM
tiggerinmk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Am I missing the point?

What's wrong with the good ol' fashioned Y harness?

So now you can't lower your retracts, your flaps and turn on the landing lights because you've got multiple channels dedicated to basic functions?

Have we lost sight of what multiple channel radios were origially for?
Old 02-11-2003, 08:20 PM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Am I missing the point?

Originally posted by tiggerinva
What's wrong with the good ol' fashioned Y harness?

So now you can't lower your retracts, your flaps and turn on the landing lights because you've got multiple channels dedicated to basic functions?

Have we lost sight of what multiple channel radios were origially for?
Y-harness works well if you are short on channels. If you aren't short on channels and get to experience using a separate channel for each servo, it is tough to go back to using a Y.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:32 PM
sfaust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: Am I missing the point?

You only slightly missed the point. :spinnyeye

Not everyone has retracts, flaps, landing lights, bomb drops, and so on. If they use all Y's for all channels, they use 4 channels of a 10 channel radio. Using the extra channels for dual elevators, individual rudder servos in a ganged setup, allows for more precise tracking of each servo to the others, redundancy in the case of open servo leads or connector failures, and reducing the effects of resistance in the wiring, etc.

If you have 6 left over channels, might as well use them in a useful way, rather than let them sit idle.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Other than their genetic ties I can't imagine any reason.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:01 AM
fiery

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Awa' an bil yer heid!

Ach, saissenachs - ye cannae dae wi' 'em
Old 02-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe this is why:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...916&forumid=27]
Old 02-12-2003, 06:35 PM
tiggerinmk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Do what?

Flyfalcons,

That link you posted was doin' my head in!

I thought this was supposed to be a hobby! If that 's what a top end computer radio is like to program I'll stick to my XF631!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:46 PM
sfaust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Flyfalcons
Maybe this is why:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...916&forumid=27
Wow! And all he ws trying to do was get 100% of his throws from the servos?

Gee with JR is ServoTrav = 100%.
With Futaba, its ATV=100%.

No kidding, thats it!

Ok, I'm sorry. I am just having fun at someone elses expense. (slapping wrists till they are black and blue).

No matter how simple one radio is to those familiar with it, its usually Greek to those that are new to that radio. When I switched from the Futaba 9Z to the JR 10X, the 10X was Greek to me. After a while, it was second nature, much like the 9Z was to me. After using them both, they are both simple to use. The 9Z requires a few more steps in many areas, but its still easy to understand and use. I have to give a nod to either radio in regard to usability, with a slight advantage to the JR 10x.

All the Greek in that link seems daunting, but I bet once someone gets their hands on it for a while, it becomes second nature.

Every watch a master in MS Word work on a Word Perfect document? Its all what you are used to..
Old 02-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, what he wanted was an ATV setting of 53%... He wanted short servo travel with full stick movement. I'm shocked stupid that no one noticed that.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We noticed what he wanted. The point is that for something this simple, it has become a very complex problem.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:02 PM
sfaust

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Lynx
Actually, what he wanted was an ATV setting of 53%... He wanted short servo travel with full stick movement. I'm shocked stupid that no one noticed that.
Don't be shocked stupid. Everyone probably noticed it, as I was the only one that responded incorrectly. I was thinking 100% stick movement, when I should have been 52% travel (it was 52%, not 53% - lets split the difference and call it 52.5% ).

So here is the revised entry

Wow! And all he was trying to do was get 52% of his throws from the servos?

Gee with JR is ServoTrav = 52%.
With Futaba, its ATV=52%.

No kidding, thats it!

Either way, it was just a friendly poke at the original reply. No matter what radio you choose, they all have work involved in setting them up. There can be no other way, unless the radio assumes a lot of things, which greatly reduces the flexibility and functionality.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:09 AM
Kris^
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default IT'S THE SECOND COMING!!!

The REASON MPX users are "evangelical" is because they have SEEN THE LIGHT (as a Baptist friend of mine calls it) It seems that MPX has been bought by HiTec. . and we ALL know that HiTec has the best servos in the world. . (well, maybe some of us still need some re-education)

What it really all comes down to, though, is plain old stubborn Brand Loyalty. True, the top-end MPX radios are VERY kewl . .but can we all say "Ka-Ching"???

Personally, the servos never impressed me, and for their price, are very lacking in performance.

BTW, ladyFlyer. . what the heck is "Wheesht"???
Old 02-13-2003, 12:18 AM
Ladyflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
BTW, ladyFlyer. . what the heck is "Wheesht"???

Fiery knows !
Old 02-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Mettler1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Multiplex users "Evangelical" ??!!!

Well, it's sort of like this.

There are Harley's, (BMW) and then there are those other motorcycles.

And no, I don't own a Harley or a BMW. I have one of those "other" ones.

I also have two Futabas. Guess I'm sort of a middle class guy with low expections.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:17 AM
tiggerinmk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Middle class?

I thought you guys fled to the colonies to avoid the British class structure!

If middle class people use Futaba does that mean working class people use Hitec?

What class of people use JR?
Old 02-13-2003, 02:30 AM
Kris^
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Class??? WE don' need no steenkeen class!!!!!

As a matter of fact, The US is abotu as close as you can get to a "classless" society, considering that anyone, with enough vigor,luck, and business smarts, can become part of the "Upper class". There are few entrenched "Clubs" as in the European countries or Japan that would prevent a person from achieving their goals strictly on where they were born or what "Lords" they were rubbing elbows with. . .

I fly JR and Airtronics radio gear and JR and HiTec servos. . .College degreed working as a Mechanic. . of blue-blooded parentage (The "Philadelphia Masons. . descended from Elder Brewster of Mayflower fame, as well as tracing my lineage to Via De Luna, the first Spanish settler in the New World) but driving a 1986 Dodge van, with dirt under my fingernails as I type poetry (sometimes published) and sip my Glen Fiddigh laced Instant Folgers coffee from a Pep Boys logo'd coffee mug set on the old single tier military desk that my Pentium 4 computer is on.

Talk about an exercise in contradictory coincidences. . .

There are no "Classes" in the US. . just people.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:59 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No classes? What planet do you live on? The class boundaries are far from typical but they still exist. I think everyone gets a little carried away with brand loyalty. It comes down to what you've used, what's worked for your, and plain old luck. It needs to stay that way, it never does though. People like to be right, and will go to extraordinary lengths to say whatever they think will best prove their point, cause they're fanatic about being right and they define the right. Who cares, if it flys; fly it, have fun =)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service