Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

I've heard a lot of negative talk about Hitec servos...whats the true story with them

RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I've heard a lot of negative talk about Hitec servos...whats the true story with them

Old 02-11-2003, 10:45 PM
ShoestringRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I've heard a lot of negative talk about Hitec servos...whats the true story with them

Not here only mind you. RC car guys have had complaints elsewhere.

Some people swear by them and some swear at them. Seems to me Hitec digital servos are pretty cheap....Am I better off spending more for JR or Futaba?

Not including the JR DS811, what is JRs cheapest digital servo?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:34 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: I've heard a lot of negative talk about Hitec servos...whats the true story with them

Please, not this thread again. If you've already read the reports here, what makes you think you're going to get "the truth" now? Everyone is telling the truth in their own opinion.

If Hitec were so bad, how come they are still in business and many people will buy nothing except their products? Have they made some bad servos? Sure, but so has everyone else. I've had bad JR servos straight out of the box. Does that mean they have problems? No, and neither does Hitec.

just my .02

John
Old 02-11-2003, 11:54 PM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I've heard a lot of negative talk about Hitec servos...whats the true story with them

The bottom line is your going to have to try them out for yourself.
youll get yeah and nays all day long. If i had the money, id buy other stuff, but they ar cheaper in price and are enticing. However, ive never heard anything bad about the 605/645 and other analog sevos.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:27 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why not...

Try doing a search for "Hitec Servo Failure", "Futaba Servo Failure"," JR Servo Failure", "Airtronics Servo Failure", and "Multiplex Servo Failure" and just see what others have experienced?? This should put your mind to rest.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 AM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

then decide if they are "equal"
Old 02-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Excellent value . No worse than anybody else's. One unhappy camper can start an avalanche of undeserved bashing.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:33 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would have to agree with Ladyflyer.

All you seem to hear about is all the bad stuff with Hitec and not to often do you hear how well they are. Almost everyone in my club has them in their planes including mine. I think they are a great value and a quality servo.

I have had some centering issues with the 645's but I still fly them and they work fine. I've also seen two Jr servos go bad in flight. The first one was a 517 on the throttle of a big 35% Extra and the second was a 8411 on the rudder of a high dollar pattern airplane. So to me it's kind of a catch 22 situation, but I'll continue to use Hitec. I think the Hitec digitals are the better way to go but they are a little more money.

beavertail said it best too, just give them a try that's the only real way to tell if your gonna like them.

Rc car guys will complain about everything if their not winning so lets rule that one out.

Are you better off spending more for JR ? Well that's a tuff one. A Jr 8411 for $114.95 and a Hitec 5945 for $74.50 either servo could fail at any point in time so you make the call. If you think it's worth it than I say go for it. Fly with what ever makes you the most comfrontable. Don't rule out Hitec just because of what you've heard.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:41 AM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec

I have Hitec digitals in my H9 Sukhoi 5925,5625 and 5645s. I abuse this plane weekly with 3D flying and have no problems at all. I have friends with 40% stuff and only use JR 8411s and every single one of those servos have more slop in them than my Hitecs. I have had problems with the 605s and now I only use the digitals. For the money you can't beat em.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec servos

Have JR radios and all of my servos are Hitec....fewer problems with hitec's then JR servos....the hitec 300 is junk,but thats about it....
Old 02-12-2003, 07:26 PM
ShoestringRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK thanks everyone.

Sorry for the redundant post. Didn't realize how much I was beating a dead horse with this thread.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:47 PM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No big deal, youll see what we mean if you research. Let us know what your going to go with.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:56 PM
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And, jsut to throw in my 2 cents worth. i jsut received 15 more HiTecs, of various types including 6 5945's, from Chief Aircraft and some people who wanted to sell them. GREAT deals on the personal sales, and very good prices from Chief. I tested every servos when I received them. . no problems or glitches,and some date to early 2002 for a production date.

So far my inventory of HiTecs includes about 30 5945's, 10 5735's, 10 or so 805 MEGA servos, some 945's and 925's, 645's, 605's, and 545's. . a total of about 80-90 servos. How many failures??? 3, all amplifier related, and sent off for repair. I expect them back soo. . FREE.

I own about 20 JR servos, mostly 507/517 and 4735's or 4721's, with a couple of 8411's on the shelf as well, and 5 of them are junk including a 4735 that runs one way all the time, an 8411 that is burnt out, a 4721 with a locked motor, and another 8411 with a pinion shaft so badly bent it can't be properly straightened.

I think that pretty much tells the tale of longevity and reliability.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Right on Kris .
Old 02-13-2003, 12:57 AM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nevermind
Old 02-13-2003, 01:23 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Food for thought: Hitec makes about 40 servos, 4 are coreless motors and 3 use five pole motors...the other 30 some servos are all three pole. Futaba also makes about 40 servos... over half use coreless motors... Stupid Futaba, they should use the cheap 3 pole motors that won't center then they could be popular like Hitec.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:58 AM
Kris^
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Now. .monkeyboy. . play nice. .

"centering". . hmmmmmmm. .okay, I'll bite. . name me ONE Futaba "Coreless" (perfect centering) servo. . ANY Futaba coreless servo (ANY AT ALL). . . that costs LESS than $70 (USD) retail pricing. . . THEN name me ALL the Futaba "Standard case" servos that put out over 180 ounces of torque at .14 seconds of transit time. . .

I believe the number, in BOTH cases, is pretty close to ZERO. .

The HiTec coreless (comparable "perfect centering") that sells for UNDER $70 is the 5735 1/4 scale. . it has (perfect centering) OVER 265 ounces of torque and transits at .14 seconds for 60 degrees(perfect centering). .AND it comes with a programmable amplifier and an aluminum output arm ($10 value for REALLY perfect centering). . then there is the 5945 that costs $74.99, has 185-190 ounces of torque. . those (Perfect centering) coreless motors, AND transits at .13-.14 seconds, plus programmability and an aluminum output arm (again for REALLY perfect centering). . . both servos have literally unbreakable geartrains, unlike the Futaba servos, and deservedly good reputations for getting 300+ flights before needing to have the gears replaced. .AND they center PERFECTLY for the entire 300 flights. .

Sorry to sound so. . intense. . but your argument is totally bogus.

Now. . play nice. . .this is, after all, a hobby.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:07 AM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

N
Old 02-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Kris^
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just reading the stuff on the side of the boxes, Beav.

You think THIS is bad. . you should hear me talk about BME's. . well, you probably have.

someday people will start to research and choose products based on what they do and are capable of, rather than just what name is on the package or who used what at the TOC. Until everyone does that, some companies will continue to put out questionabley priced products that fall short of what their dollar value dictates they should be able to do.

companies like HiTec, BME, Fiberclassics, and others, are all pushing the limit of technology and going far beyond what the competition has done in the past. Their pushing of the limits of what their products do only makes it better for all of us in the long run.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:41 AM
mickeymouse23

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well when hitec gained in popularly a while ago with the focus 4,my Father purchased 4 of these radios over the winter months because they were so darn cheep.the next season we had 4 new planes 2 new engines and or 4 new radios,by the end of the first month we had 4 junk radios 1 engine and no airplanes to fly,why you ask?three to radio going dead and one pilot error,we sent one radio in at a time for repair when we got the first one back radio Flore on the second flight,i tell you what both me and my father hated hitec radios,well that was in 1996 and 1997.all the radios are sitting on the shelf with only one or two flights on each.now it is 2002 and a flying buddy talks me into buying a lazer 4,all year long no problems and with my 2nd one no problems and i cant wait for my new hitec lazer 6 to get into my new airplane,I'm convinced hitec did something great with these radios and they are such a good value,I'm hooked mike
Old 02-13-2003, 03:48 AM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah , ill have to agree with that, these servos are pushed so hard, all are bound to fail once in a while.

Cant wait to see how they perform in a few years.

Just raggin on ya Kris
Old 02-13-2003, 04:46 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All of this is rather subjective----I own mostly JR servos and have yet to experience a single failure. I've also owned Hitec and I have not had a single failure except for one servo that would not center and went back to center faster in one direction than the other. It was replaced with no problems. I have read with much interest concerning the Hitec digitals. I've owned two of their new 5125 thin digital wing servos and LOVED them!!! They were used in the rudders of a HotSpot jet in conjunction with a JR 460 gyro. I would like to try the Hitec 59XX series digitals but all of the servo hard overs and failures that have been reported scare me when a $7000 jet is involved. My JR 8411's are terribly sloppy from the factory but the Hitec Metal gear servos that I've used have been slop free. I would gladly use the Hitec 59XX series digitals instead of the JR 8411's if I can be convinced that it is worth taking the chance to save $20/servo.

Kevin
Old 02-13-2003, 06:43 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kris^, I figured my 3 pole prodding would get you fired up.

I can't show you a Futaba servo that meets your demands. However, I know you can't show me a Hitec servo other than the digitals that center even half as good as a most Futabas. On that, I assume you were talking about the 59XX series here. Is that the ONLY Hitec servo that centers well? Seems like whenever I poke at Hitec the only servo thrown back at me is that one. What if I want a low profile, or maybe a lighter servo?

I have never had a Hitec 5735. I do however find it hard to believe that it centers "perfectly" mainly because it uses a three pole motor. The Futabas that use 3poles center OK, but not great. While 3pole in and of itself does not mean it won't center well, it is a good indicator. Beyond that, the 5735 weighs 5.1 ounces... Yikes! Futaba makes a 1/4 scale digital that puts out 260+ oz and it only weighs 4.4 ounces, and yes Kris I'm sure it costs more, but what do you expect, it weighs less.

Side Bar: BME... ha. I'll put a DA or 3W against a BME anyday... Shoot, I'll even run low octane fuel so you have a sporting chance... poke poke poke.

Unbreakable gears is moot. The only times I've broken gears is in a crash. All unbreakable gears means is that the case or something else breaks instead. On that, how in the heck did you manage to bung up the pinion on a 8411?

You keep pushing torque and speed at a given cost. Speed is all but a moot issue unless we are talking gyro. Torque and price are important but so is precision and overall value. IMO Hitecs offer a good value. This does not mean they are better, just that you get a lot for your money, ie value.

OK, since this thread is really supposed to be on reliability. I have had servo failures with every brand of servo I have owned (Futaba, JR and Hitec.) Yes, I actually LIKED Hitec at one time... Kris, I'm sure you will find that hard to believe. In the last 5 years I have owned about 40 Hitecs, 40 Futabas and 15 JRs.

The KEY is why did my servos fail (excluding crash damage.) I've only had two Futabas fail, the amps went bad after about 400 flights. Servos still worked but were weak. I spun the gears in 2 JR 2721's after about 100 flights, but they still worked well enough to land (in all fairness this was after pulling a ~80MPH wall in a 35%, dang near ripped the wings off.) In the case of the Hitec, I have had 3 DOAs, several pots go bad after 10-20 flights, and I was bit by the 56XX software issue. What bothered me was how sudden and catastrophic the Hitec failures were. I was lucky in that it never cost me a plane. Now add poor precision in all but the Hitec Digitals. That metal arm that comes with the digitals? Mine were only tapped on one hole. Did they just forget to do the rest? What about the software issue with the 56XX... how on earth did they ever let that servo into production... it should have been very simple for Hitec to detect the software error BEFORE they sold a zillion units. 3 DOAs in 40 servos? Whats the deal with pots going bad? Granted, Hitec did eventually fix the failures, but that does not excuse the failure.

This is where I start having a Hitec brand problem. I don't really care that the servos failed... everything fails eventually. However, DOAs and major engineering issues (56XX) do bother me. These casue me to believe that there is a deeper problem, like lack of controls on production and being a little too eager to enter the market. My failures made me wonder what else was missed, not properly checked, etc that we don't know about. Add to that Mike M. insisting I'm an idiot that can't set up servos, and besides, Hitec is popular so it is obvious the problem is me not the servos (56XX issue before Hitec admitted the problem.)The total sum of the above is why I ditched Hitec.

In addition, this is what I have to put up with locally from the Hitec clan. A local club member tried to sell me on a Hitec Eclipse 7... I pointed to my ZAP figuring that would be case closed. He then insisted the E7 was better because it had a Spectrum module. I pointed to the synth module on my ZAP... He still didn't get it and kept on telling me about all the E7 features and then asking if my ZAP could do that too! Sheesh!

Anyway, probably the best thing for anyone reading this (other than me and Kris since we have already formed firm opinions) is to buy the servos and form your own opinion.

Cheers.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Kris^
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "poke, poke, poke"???

Well said, Monkeyboy!!

I forgot the 5735's were 3-pole motors (okay, so SHOOT me. . just proves I'm not a HiTec rep. . . )And, yes, when first introduced there were some issues with the HiTec digitals, though I personally never experienced them. . I daresay that there are no longer any issues. .

One thing to point out, as it matters a lot. Under "Dynamic loading" i.e. . . . flying. . . "Centering" is, at best, an approximate thing, since the servos may be holding "Perfect center" (doubtful) but the control surfaces and aircrafts airframe are constantly flexing and moving around. Even on digitals, under a 25% load (such as flying straight and level with the weight of the aircraft against the air under the elevators and ailerons) the servo is gonna "give" about 4-5 microseconds of movement before it locks into position. On a non-digital, even with a coreless motor, you are going to get 8-10 microseconds of positional difference before they really lock down and hold the control surface. That can add up to 1-2 degrees of arm movement in a digital, and 3-4 in a non-digital.

"Centering" looks really good on a test stand, with a pointer and no load on the arm. put 90% rated torque load on a servo,though, and see what happens. It's not going to be even close, which is why I do not overly concern myself with "perfect centering". What I DO concern myself with, however, is consistent centering of the control surface on the ground, that translates into consistent back to center operation in the air under every flight condition. It does not have to be "perfect", but the plane has to fly straight when I let go of the sticks. A lot of this is aircraft setup and what's mixed into the radio. A 3-pole motor may not have as precise centering as a coreless motor, but when loaded the difference is extremely low, less than 1-2 degrees usually, of the control surface itself, less than a click of trim.

As far as I am concerned, in anything but straight and level 1/2 throttle flight, you are always retrimming, adjusting, and redirecting the planes attitude. Add in a 10-15 knot breeze and your servos can center to within 1/100 degree. . it's not going to matter since none of them are going to be on center anyway. As well, the planes natural characteristics come into play, self-levelling the wings in most cases during straight and level flight . .so here the measure of "centering" is rather moot.

On a bench, the 3-pole motors may not quite test as well as the coreless ones, but in the air. . . . its a bit of a different story.

As for "other HiTecs besides digitals that are coreless"??? the 925/945's are also coreless. The Futaba (260 ounce) servo is not digital and still costs almost twice as much as the 5735, the famous 9204/9402 servos blew so many geartrains at the TOC 2 years ago that the flyers expected to change 4-5 servos after every flight.

And, as a last example of how centering on the bench does not really matter. . .take an 805 hiTec mega Servo. . 5.5 ounces of weight .14 seconds transit and 335 ounces of torque, indirect potentiometer on top of it all and a 3-pole motor with a nylon geartrain. I usualy use 2 on rudder, solidly linked with 4-40 rods and ball links, then using .093 CF rods to the rudder as pull-pull rods. Centering??? on the ground the nose of the rudder aerobalancer comes back to center within 1 degree every time, no matter how far I throw the sticks. In the air, I constantly rudder correct the planes flight anyway (one of those IMAC thangs. . . ) so the servo seldom ever sees center, but once the trim is set, it will go straight to the horizon, hands off, no visible wandering or attitude changes. But, know what I REALLY like?? At center the servos response is soft enough that minor differences in linkage between the two servos does not pose a great problem. They have enough "slop" that even 10 microseconds of difference, at full throw, results in little binding or adverse problems. Try that with a digital and you will wind up with extreme current loads and possibly a burnt out servo (over time). And yes, they are 3-pole motors, too.

I've often told the Futaba and JR reps. . if they could get a 330 ounce servo in the $50 range for me, I'd buy it. . they can't, so I won't. Same goes for the other "classes" of servos. When they can match HiTecs pricing, I'll buy them again.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:57 PM
beavertail

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you guys would spend as much time flying as you did on RCU, youd be great pilots.

This goes for me too now that I think about it.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:11 PM
tiggerinmk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default At the other end of the scale......

A couple of months ago I bought 3 Hitec HS-81 mini servos for my Zephyr.

I noticed that one of them occasionally glitched while the other two were perfectly quiet. I just so happened to install the 'glitchy' servo on the throttle.

Now the plane has had a few flights last weekend I noticed that it has a bad habit of going deadstick at random times. The plane flies at just over idle, so I think the servo glitch is causing the engine to shut down.

This is the first problem I've had with ANY servo. I think I'll get the servo replaced. I still think the servos are good, maybe they save a bit of money in the quality control.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service