RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

MicroStar Conversion

Old 02-12-2003, 04:30 AM
Malconium

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MicroStar Conversion

Greetings Folks;

I'm fairly new to this forum and am perhaps not in the right place, but I saw the word MicroStar and figured this was the place to be. I bought one of the original boards form Gordon Anderson but have alas, not put the thing together due to lack of time/money.....

Anyway, I am now cranking up again, and pondering options for getting from point A to point B. I intend to build a Dual Stick - with the right stick 3 axis. Weird? Yep - I am!!!

Anyway, I have a Single Stick Silver Seven - but I really need a Dual Stick to modify to pull this project off. Anyone have an old Silver Seven with the good Sticks - preferably one that has bitten the proverbial dust?

I would even be willing to trade a HITEC TX that has been converted to an Emulation Electronics Encoder (MicroPro) that works very solidly and is a really interesting conversation piece when sitting in the impound area!!!!! Ideally, I would like to trade this stellar working TX for a non working SS.......

Anyway, just a thought.

Go Go MicroStar!
Old 02-12-2003, 07:09 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Push/pull or spin for the third axis? And I wouldn't recommend doing the conversion =) If you add a third axis you would HAVE to use thumb/forefinger to control the stick, and this adds one more hand movement that the human brain has to mix. Just my two cents worth. Considering how busy the average set of hands are on an R/C transmitter it's better to set up a foot pedal if you want the extra axis. Seems strange, but it's the best way to get the human brain to use it without trying to blow a fuse learning to control 5 axis's with two 1 inch long stick using only three fingers. A normal person has to train for hours and hours to keep from dumb thumbing it with just 4. Besides, what could you possibly need instant thumb on access to? A dial or slider will suffice for anything a normal person needs. Anything more complex and you should probably be designing an entirely different interface that's more in tune to what you need to do with it. A fact I think that is all but ignored in transmitter design. Modern transmitters are too bulky, and stupidly inefficient at using hand motion to fly something as complex as an R/C Helli with. Then again, no one would use or have the patients to learn a totally different control method even if it was better. Kinda of like computer keyboards. The QWERTY layout isn't nearly as efficient as the DVORAK. QWERTY keyboards were actually intentionally designed to keep the operator from typing too quickly (back in the day when typewriters would jam over a certain key rate) Yet it's a global standard. People keep using what they know rather than try to find something new that works better. There have been many keyboard replacements over the years but they're rejected from the mass market for being too different, even though they're better for your hands wrists and are faster than standard keyboards.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:21 PM
ssjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've got to disagree with Lynx's comment. Years ago I converted a dual stick Silver Seven, adding the rudder control onto the right stick...I loved it! I still fly a Micropro single stick on occasion, and like the feel and control of the three axis stick.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:11 PM
jskrebs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like a cool format to me. Might be hard to find a SS case sans innards, they are kept in pretty good condition. Marv Jenses may have cases and gimbles