Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mounting Servo Under Cowl

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Cyclops1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Servo Under Cowl

Thinking about mounting my throttle servo under the cowl beside a G26 Zenoah gas engine. Could this location cause radio interference between the motor and the servo?

Longshanks......
Old 02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would keep the radio as far from the engine as possible. I had my kill switch mounted in the same cock pit as the switch and charge jack. Radio kept going to fail safe. Moved the engine kill switch to the forward cock pit and no more trouble. It is still over a servo so that may not be a big problem. Just keep the rec far away at least and test it well on the ground.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:03 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Mounting Servo Under Cowl

Originally posted by longshanks
Thinking about mounting my throttle servo under the cowl beside a G26 Zenoah gas engine. Could this location cause radio interference between the motor and the servo?

Longshanks......
Yes, that can most definately cause problems. Most ignition engine flyers mount the servo back in the wing area and run nyrod for throttle control to keep the radio as far away from the engine as possible.

John
Old 02-11-2003, 05:14 PM
strato911

A general rule of thumb, all radio equipment should be AT LEAST 12 inches from any component of the gas engine, including the kill switch, and ignition battery (if electronic ignition is used). Most people recommend 14 to 16 inches of seperation. This is done to reduce RF interference between the two. Also, don't use metal pushrods, since these will act as antennas for the interference, and bring it close to the radio system again.

Here's Futaba's faq regarding gas engines: http://www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-gas.html
Old 02-12-2003, 03:28 AM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

It can be done.

My throttle servo is mounted to the motor box without any troubles.
I am using a JR NER-549 PPM receiver.
Motor is a ZDZ 80 with Falcon ignition.

If you can get the servo in the fuse that would probably be the ideal situation but this has worked for me on this plane/motor/radio installation.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:36 AM
strato911

I never said it couldn't be done... It's not recommended though. Are you using optical isolaters for that servo?

longshanks asked if it could cause interference - there is a very high probability of interference if mounted there. Personally, I wouldn't even try it unless I have no other option.