Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Faster charger for the DX7

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faster charger for the DX7

Is there a popular model? 30hrs is a little too long for me.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:05 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Faster charger for the DX7

Are you looking for a wall wart type charger or a fast field charger? After forming the pack in my DX-7 I charge it using a Sirius Pro Charger Plus fast field charger. The included wall wart charger is pretty much useless...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

I’m looking for a cheaper wall charger right now. But one day I’d like to get something like that. It's just the funds are a little depleted after buying the Radio.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: GalenB

After forming the pack in my DX-7 I charge it using a Sirius Pro Charger Plus fast field charger.
Hey Galen, I also have a Sirius, but have been using my Alpha 4 at C-10. Do you find the Sirius Fast Rate on the NiMh's detrimental ?

> Jim

And Scriptt, if you plan to stay in the hobby for any length of time, get yourself an adjustable rate charger. And watch the polarity when charging Spektrum/JR Tx's, negative is on the center post.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:35 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
I charged mine, & have not charged it for 4 weeks, & I have flown for 6 hours 15 minutes, over that period, & my TX voltage is still at 10.3 volts, it has a 1500Mah battery, in a TX that uses about 100Mah, that's about 15 hours of flight time.
I just reset the interval timer in the TX, after I charge, & it tells me how long I have used the radio.
No need to charge every week before you fly, It has heaps of capacity.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: scriptt

I’m looking for a cheaper wall charger right now. But one day I’d like to get something like that. It's just the funds are a little depleted after buying the Radio.
The main thing you will have a problem with on finding another "wall wart" is that most of them use a center positive polarity, while the Spektrum stuff uses a center negative polarity like all the JR stuff. In my experience, it's not easy finding a generic wall charger with that negative center pole orientation...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim
Hey Galen, I also have a Sirius, but have been using my Alpha 4 at C-10. Do you find the Sirius Fast Rate on the NiMh's detrimental ?
So far my experience has been mixed, to good, using my Sirius chargers on NiMH batts. It's worth noting that I only fast charge my Rx and Tx batteries using my Limited Edition and my Pro Charger Plus. I never seem to have the time to charge using wall chargers...

My not so great results were with 1650 Hydramax batteries that had not been given proper forming charges. The Limited Edition charges at 2 amps and that was likely too much for those batteries. Since getting larger 2700mah packs from Hang Time Hobbies (No BS batteries) and properly forming them using the new Sirius forming charger I am getting better results. I haven't flown much with these new batteries so I don't have as much experience as I'd like, but so far so good...

After forming the NiMH pack in my DX-7 I have only fast charged and so far it's worked really well. I flew all afternoon last Sunday and the voltage was 10.1 the entire time... I was kinda surprised at this -- my 9z with a 2700 mah NiMH battery hasn't done as well...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:15 AM
flybyme

Did you charge your batts with the included wall charger or something different.....to get the lasting charge results that you got...
Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
I used the wall charger for the first charge, then I cycled it twice, using the wall charger & an ACE discharger, the last time I charged it, I used an ACE Smart charger.
I followed this procedure, http://members.aol.com/davthacker/balancecharging.htm
Old 03-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is very easy to convert a wall wart that has the center conductor positive. Just cut the charge leads in two and then solder them back together reversed; or, put a DPDT switch in so you can switch it to be in either position. If you do modify it, it is a good idea to tag it so that you remeber which way it is wired up.