Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

www.futabarc.com/faq Use it? helpful?

Old 03-12-2002, 02:05 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default www.futabarc.com/faq Use it? helpful?

Hi all! This poll is aimed primarly at Futaba owners, but also at non-Futaba owners who may not be aware that a lot of non-brand-specific information is available, and to those considering a futaba purchase.

So....here's the question(s)...

did you know that the futaba FAQ listed above has detailed programming instructions for things ilke setting up the Hanger 9 UltraStik on the 8U, 9C and 9Z with steps that are accurate and work? (labelled as a 7-servo aerobat)

did you know the FAQ includes links to download nearly every Futaba manual ever produced?

did you know the FAQ includes answers to questions such as which modules are interchangable, how to legally change the frequency BAND (ie ground to air or back), what Futaba radios are and are NOT legal under the 1991 narrow band standard, etc?

do you find the FAQs useful? easy to navigate? can you find what you're looking for?

tell us if you use them or not? if so, what is most helpful? if not, and you knew the data was there, why not? (obviously some questions you want an non-manufacturers opinion, but for the type of data available, why would you use it or not use it?)

OK...i'm done tossing questions! Just trying to get an idea of how to make the site and info available better and more likely to be used!!

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Service and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
Old 03-12-2002, 02:39 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stumbled on the futaba FAQ site some time ago. In many cases it is much better and CHEAPER than making a toll call to the help line.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:06 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

The FAQs are a great place to look for additional info for the particular model. Far too pften the actual product info page are nothing more sales brochures that don't say much other than hitting the highlights.

As the FAQ lists grow, however, you should think about organizing them a little more logically. Perhaps along the lines of:

1. Features & functions.
2. Programming help.
3. Maintenance & cleaning.
4. Legality issues.
5. Compatibility issues.

I'm sure I missed a few, but you get the idea. As it is now, some of the FAQ lists are way too long to look for something specific.

Also. more liberal use of visual aids like pictures, diagrams and charts/tables (cross reference, comparison, compatibility, etc.) would help a lot also. I realize this is more work than typing, but sometime a picture is worth 1000 words.

Good job so far, though. I've been off Futaba for many years; the 9C was what brought me back to Futaba. It looks like the excellent customer support has what it takes to keep me here.

BTW, you should probably change the "7-servo aeobat" to an 8-servo one instead, as so many of us use dual elevator servos.

Thanks, AMC. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-16-2002, 04:10 PM
amcross

Ahhh....come on guys! pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.........i'm begging for feedback here!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-16-2002, 10:33 PM
Nuker

What's well done is that questions keep getting added so the site doesn't get stale.

It would be beneficial to the folks who have already used it to be able to have a "date added" field in the list so we can go right to the latest. Also as the list grows, a basic categorization might help but to be honest I think that will involve more work on updates than it might be worth.

I enjoy browsing the possibilities even if I didn't have that question when I hit the site.

Well done,

Bob aka Nuker
Old 03-17-2002, 03:48 AM
RcNorth

Default Futaba FAQ site

The site is pretty good, but I feel it is amied a bit too much at airplanes, not helicopters. I guess that makes sense as they are the majority of the flyers.

I have noticed that a couple of the posts are wrong. It looks like you started with the Zap's FAQ page and just changed the 9Z to a 9C for example, here is one of the items listed

"If I am using the DSC or if I have used the A or R key during turn-on to keep the transmitter from transmitting, do I still need to extend one section of the antenna or remove the module?

No. As long as the Tx is not transmitting the module can be in place with the antenna fully collapsed and there is no problem"

This is definately not a 9C FAQ.

There was a lot of good questions posted on the 9C futaba group that you may want to look at adding, such as how to switch modes other than mode 2. How to change the stick tension, can the springs be upgraded, How to copy a pitch curve from idle 1 to idle 2.

I also found that some of the links take you to a page that has a lot of information on them, that are not on the initial FAQ page. One example is from "I own a 6X (or 8U or 9Z or 9C) airplane radio. I want to use it with helicopters. How do I get it changed?"

One question is "How can I put expo or a curve into my throttle channel to give me linear throttle reaction? " The answer says to simply add expo to channel three, but channel three isn't an option in the expo menu.

Overall the FAQs are pretty good, but I will still go to RcUniverse or to the 9C Yahoo group to get an answer from other flyers. Because we all know that end users will always find a way to do things that the manufacture says are not possible.

Dean
Old 03-17-2002, 05:46 PM
amcross

Dean,
Thanks for your feedback! it is much appreciated. Yes some of the FAQs are shared by multiple radios and some oddities do occur. I'll look into the ones you pointed out, thanks!

I think you'll find on the 9C group that about 90% of the airplane solutions come from me, as an end user, not just a manufacturer rep... I'd just like to clarify -- before asking here or the user group, though, will you even try the FAQ? If not, why not?

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-17-2002, 09:36 PM
RcNorth

Originally posted by amcross
... I'd just like to clarify -- before asking here or the user group, though, will you even try the FAQ? If not, why not?

I do check out the FAQ every once in a while and have read every entry on th page at one time or another. I have learnt some new stuff from the page, like the very long beep due to a problem with the module. This is a great thing to know in case it happens at the field. I also try to read every post in RCU that has to do with the 9C. If I have a problem, I generally do a lot of research before asking the question, this includes checking out the FAQ page. I've seen too many times where people get jumped on because they ask a question that is in the archives. This doesn't happen too much on RCU, but it definately does in the 9C group.

I do have a question though, why is the stick position on the throttle cut only avaiable in heli mode? This is also the same way on the 9Z? I would think that most pilots would want a stick position, so that they don't hit the wrong switch in flight and kill their engine in a stall turn etc. There used to be a stick position with the ZAP, but the 9C and the ZAW both have this option removed.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2002, 12:23 PM
amcross

Hi again! thanks for the clarification.

The throttle cut stick position is preset in acro mode. It is still there, you just can't adjust it. In heli mode it needs to be adjustable due to different hovering positions, etc.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-18-2002, 03:55 PM
Sailor
My Feedback: (1)

Your FAQ's have helped me tremendously, but I definately agree with the earlier post stating that some house cleaning via categorization should take place.

As an Ultra Stick owner, I found that the FAQ for setting up the aerobat had some inconsistencies. I didn't understand setting up aileron differential (step B), but that could be due to my ignorance. If these steps were explained a little, with what each step does, then it would be of greater benefit to me.

Thanks for listening,

Dave Meier
Old 03-18-2002, 04:52 PM
gpmikemorse-RCU

Default Re: www.futabarc.com/faq Use it? helpful?

Originally posted by amcross

do you find the FAQs useful? easy to navigate? can you find what you're looking for?
Maybe it's just me, but I find the two column format very annoying. Do I try to read both columns as I scroll, or read one down to the bottom, and scroll twice as much?
Old 03-18-2002, 04:56 PM
amcross

Thanks, Mike. appreciate your input. others have complained about the length when we put them in a single column.

I personally like to use the internet search feature on most browsers (edit search) to search the FAQ main page to find key words i know i'm looking for.

it's always such a challenge -- if we cut the categories down too far its too hard to find what you need. if we dont cut them enough there's too many pages to page through....

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-19-2002, 02:08 AM
RcNorth

Hi Anne Marie, I justed checked on a ZAW2 and found that the throttle cut stick position is not preset, it is simply not there. It has the most effect at idle and loses effect as throttle is increased up to full throttle where it is inactive, but even at 75% throttle it still has an effect although minimal.

Is there a way to change it so that it is only works at idle?

Thanks

Dean
Old 03-19-2002, 06:46 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi AnnMarie,

I'm very pleased with the FAQ site, and it is a definate tool for me. I did a good degree of research before getting my 9C. I thought I had read most of what was in there. Now you have me wondering what I missed and how much more valuable info is in there. Either I need to study it to a much greater degree, or possibly could the format be enhanced/changed to offer access to a broader spectrum of info.
I think it's more of a "did you find what you were looking for?" issue for me. It wasn't even one particular thing either.
Maybe it's the sidebar style on the topics, and then the subtopics being all over the page, that's kind of misleading.....don't know, i eventually found what I wanted though, and it gets easier every time, I'll be pro soon
Thanks for asking though,
Old 03-19-2002, 01:41 PM
amcross

Default UPDATES MADE TO AUTO SYSTEM! THANKS!

Thanks to some superb suggestions from members of this group, I've made some style changes to the automated response system to hopefully be more helpful.

Please don't hesitate to try it out!

For example, if you send an email with the word "narrowband" in the body of the email (please put test in the subject in case it does get through), the system will send you the same response it always has, except it is now broken into 10 parts and has a "table of contents" at the beginning to help make it clearer and easier to understand.

Additionally, I have modified the automated reply that comes when the auto system can't answer your question so that it also breaks down the plethera of information provided into easily understood segments and hopefully makes it more usable and more frequently read!

Curious what kinds of things the system can auto answer for you? These are just a few of the questions the system can answer, instantaneously, for you!

Is a 2PKA still legal?
What can you tell me about using Futaba gear for battle bots?
What parts are available for a 2PB?
How do I do a proper range check?
What receivers can I use with a 5NLP?
What is compatible with my PCM512 radio system?
What is DSC and is my radio compatible?
Can I reverse a servo?
Can I use 6V batteries with this equipment?
How do I properly care for NiMH batteries?
How do I do separate nosewheel steering on a v-tail?
what is a link mix?
Can I use the spectra module in my 8U?
What is AIL2 on the 8U and 9C?
How do i do twin aileron servos with a 5 channel receiver?
How do i use the rudder dual rate on a 6X Super?
Can my non-super be upgraded to a super?
Can I use a synth module with a 9Z non-S?
How can I use my air radio for a ground frequency model?
Does my radio have a back up battery?
How can I do servo slow?
How do I get a copy of a manual?
How do I buy a replacement switch for my 8U?
How do I replace a switch on the 9Z?
Explain CCPM. Can my radio do it?
Can I get parts for my old Futaba truck?
Can I use an R129DP with my radio?
Please compare the new 9C to the 8103. 9cvs8103.
How do i send my futaba item for service? where?
Can I register my Futaba item on line?

Please let me know what you see and what you think!!

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-19-2002, 01:43 PM
amcross

My apologies, Winpattern. I was thinking of idle down which is only effective below a certain point.

For the heli pilots this is crucial due to how the idle ups and such work. they MUST be able to set a trigger point. For aircraft pilots, even if you bump it when above idle, it has only a very minor effect and therefore won't likely kill your engine.

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 03-21-2002, 09:15 PM
amcross

Hey guys! Any comments? did you try the auto system? did you like it? can we make it clearer? how did it do? could you trick it into answering something wrong? or not answering something it should have?

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Service and Support
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
Old 07-13-2002, 03:19 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I used this faq site for setting up a 9c with an ultrastik... I used http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q515.html It was very helpfull... I could have used more explanation of the reasoning behind the why of each step... but it was still pretty good.

The only problem was everything dosen't work right just yet..... I've got the CROW working and the flaperon mixing working... But I havn't been able to tie the aileron's with the flaps... I tried a pmix that set the aileron as master and aux 1 as slave... same for aux 2.... I tied it to swich G... That gave me flap travel in one direction... Weird... It's almost like some other mix was cancelling out the travel in one direction.

Can you help me?

I can't seem to get the aileron's and flaps tied together.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:54 AM
amcross

Paul,
Are you trying to get full span aileron or full span flap?

if your'e getting travel in only one directoin go back and look at your mixes and see to it that you have percentages set in both directions.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:29 PM
PaulSwany
My Feedback: (45)

I am tring to get full span aileron's. I think I found the problem... The instructions say to use the slider to adjust the flap position and to put the slider all the way up... But I think that limited flap movement to only one direction... So if I center the slider, or just turn it of.... My aileron / aux1-aux2 mix should work.....
Old 02-14-2003, 03:27 AM
ChristianH

It is a very good resource and I used to research before purchase.

I hope Futaba will make a legal Synthesized RF Module for the 9C.
That would be an instant bestseller.