Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Kripto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Questions

Hi all,

I am new to the sport and had a few questions...

Someone in my aera is selling some old equipment and i was wondering what is was worth and if it is good stuff for a begginer.

J.R. 421 w/rx and no servos $65.00

Futaba Super 7 2-TX 1-RX no servos $50.00

Thanks

Ed
Old 02-13-2003, 06:12 PM
ec121k

Default Radio Questions

Looks like the newest of the two is the JR.

Servos for the systems will cost you a minimum of about $10 each so add $40 to the price and see where you are.

New JR computer radio systems complete start at $179.95 and that's with a 3 year warranty. They also have one at $199.95 which is alittle more versitile. Futaba computer radios go for around $230 and up.

I'd go for new because of the warranty if nothing else. Also I personally do not buy used servos. Just my preference. I'll buy used transmitters and receivers but the servos being mechanical and electrical I shy away from..

Good luck.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Kripto

Default Radio Questions

Well, I just got a new JR X378 and a 33% Extra 330L my wife bought me for christmas ( very poor choice for someone who has not flown for 20 years). I was looking for a cheap second system to fly S.P.A.Ds with untill I get good enough to fly the Extra.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 07:02 PM
ec121k

Default Radio Questions

Great system. I was about to order one myself but went for the Chief Aircraft deal on te 8103.

So with a transmitter like that, just get another airborne system and program your transmitter for another plane. That's what I do. I have an old Futaba FGK7 FM narrow banded but only use it for park/indoor flyers. (I work at an airport and we have a good sized hangar). I have my 8103 set up for two different aircraft right now and a third and fourth near completion.

I use an FMA Direct receiver and servos in a 4*40 with electric drive and a R700 receiver and sercos in a Kangke CAP 232.

I also have an old Galaxy computer radio which is available and works fine.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:05 PM
strato911

Default Radio Questions

You didn't mention if these radios include battery packs (TX & Rx), or what condition they are in.

The JR would probably be a good deal for you then, since it will buddy box with your new radio. Don't forget, the servos DON'T HAVE TO be from JR. Any third-party servo will do.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Ladyflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radio Questions

The Super 7 Futaba is a very well made radio. The price you quoted is also well below what the radio is worth. I would be interested in that radio myself at that price, The JR is a so-so radio but the price is also fair.

The weak point on the Super 7 is the spring loaded battery holder. MAKE sure ALL the battery ends are CLEAN. A pencil eraser will do a good job followed by wiping with a clean cotton cloth. Try to refrain from wiping the batteries with your finger tip. Skin oils are corrosive and can cause problems with connections.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:38 AM
funfly8
My Feedback: (20)

Default Futaba 7 super

The futaba has the capability of programming in 4 models if you plan on more planes. As far as the battery is concerned I have converted all of mine to the 3 pin connector like they use in the 8 series the 7 is a little more hungry than the 8 series so you might want to get a NiH battery for it with higher capacity than the standard 600 ma pack

Steve Funfly8