RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Upgrading Old Heathkit 8ch ss

Old 02-14-2003, 10:03 PM
Blue Dog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Upgrading Old Heathkit 8ch ss

Any advice on upgrading my old Heathkit? The old Heathkit ss is an eight channel and I plan on using a Jenson MicroStar 2000 (M*2K) encoder along with the M*2K (M*2K-RFPK) RF deck (50Mhz).

Blue Dog
KD5VEC
Old 02-14-2003, 10:40 PM
The PIPE

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default You MIGHT want to get a new JOYSTICK to go with your MicroStar purchase...

Dear Blue Dog:

The PIPE Here, yet AGAIN...and at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...76&forumid=27, AND at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...053&forumid=70 , you can get an idea of the POPULARITY of the MicroStar conversion option...AND you can see some of the links Yours Truly has offered for a bit-o-HELP for my MicroStar building friends!

Since you, like me...

...are VERY interested in "knobby" SINGLE STICK flying, you should be VERY interested in MARV JENSEN'S new joystick, designed by Rae Fritz in Florida, and is basically a "miniaturized" version of the famous RON CHIDGEY designed three axis metal gimbal joystick that is in the old ProLine single stick transmitters a NUMBER of people have been lookin' for here at RCU...and I have THREE of those here at home due to get MicroStars in the coming year or two!

Your Heathkit most likely has one of the ANCIENT "closed" gimbal joysticks, with MECHANICAL trims for the aileron and elevator functions...this is just NOT a very good joystick for the precision that the MicroStar encoder is capable of! It really SHOULD be replaced with a more modern joystick assembly, so if your Heathkit transmitter case has at least a 2 inch depth inside the case from front to back, and if you can afford the (as far as I know) $215 price of the "mini-Chidgey" stick Marv has for sale-COMPLETE with all three pots and the rudder knob-you'll have yourself just about the BEST joystick assembly you could ever refit your Heathkit box with! Just look for a photo of this joystick at http://www.jensenjetmodels.com/id30.htm ... it's the SECOND photo from the top at that page...and if the $215 price tag is a bit too steep for you, Marv also has at least two other. more affordable "upgrade" options for your Heathkit "knobby" Tx case for a BETTER joystick than the old one I'd bet I've described correctly here! Marv ALSO has the separate trim lever assmeblies available, too...the SAME ones Ace RC used to sell...as Marv BOUGHT OUT all of the remaining stock of parts that Ace had to make MicroPro radio control assemblies with!

I've enclosed a small image of the "Mini-Chidgey" joystick assembly with this Email...I can Email some BIGGER photos of it to you if you'd like!

But-if your Heathkit really DOES have that old, closed gimbal-with-mechanical-trim joystick on there, PLEASE replace it with something MORE MODERN-that WILL allow you to experience the precision of the MicroStar encoder with a joystick to match it!

Hope to hear back from you soon!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55298_15835.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	34405  
Old 02-14-2003, 10:56 PM
Blue Dog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Upgrading Old Heathkit 8ch ss

Hi Pipe nice to hear from you. My call sign is KD5VEC just tested and awarded. Thanks for the advice on the stick and yes it does have the ANCIENT "closed" gimbal joysticks, with MECHANICAL trims for the aileron and elevator functions... I will take your advice on upgrading the stick as well. I will measure the case tonight just to make sure there is enough room for the mini-Chidgey.

Thanks Again

Blue Dog
KD5VEC