Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 2.4 Gig Faast system help

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 2.4 Gig Faast system help

OK Boys & Girls..........Last Sat., I bought the new super duper 2.4 Gig Futaba 6EX system from my favorite hobby shop, & cannot find many posts here on it. Is it a crap system, or will it power one of my planes without misshap! I know it is just out there, but somebody must have one in a plane & have some comments on it by now. I know it's only 6 channel.......freq. hopping, smaller display, & don't have some of the features as the DX7 (which I also have) but wanted to try both. My type of fun flying does not require 7......9.......10.........20 or 55 or more channels! Geeeeeeze.............

SOMEBODY?????????????

(Just finished a Ultra Stick 60 last night with the DX7 & Saito 100 so I will be able to compare soon)
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 AM
chrisF test pilot

Default RE: Futaba 2.4 Gig Faast system help

They just started shipping so it sounds like you have one of the first ones. Just based on the specs it looks like a pretty good system, other than the lack of functionality with the EX6. Keep us informed on how it goes, I am curious myself.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Flip and Fly

As mentioned it is a new arrival. Having both maybe you could give use some useful facts about how they com pair.

I would think Futaba did there homework on it and it will work fine. I like the system my self and am thinking of getting it but will be running two receivers so that I can run duel ailerons, elevator servos and so on. Thats if I can use dual receivers?

I had a EX6 in the past, 72mhz and though it was lacking a little in programing, no triple rates, throttle curves and so on, I found that it had all the programing I needed at the time.

So I think the price is good, I don't need more servos at this time and until they come out with the 9C in 2.4 it might be the way to go!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:35 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

Hmmmm......Don't seem to be much info yet.......

As stated in above post, I just finished a US 60 with the new DX7. It is still winter here (more snow last night) in Michigan, so it might be a while before I test fly the US60. I also just finished a H9 Twist 60 with a EVO 61 with the DX7 setup, so as soon as the weather breaks, I will have some scoop on those two.

I either have to put together another NIB Goldberg Extreme 330 profile ARF for the Futabe 2.4. or rip out a old system in one of my too many planes & install the FAAST 2.4 setup. Looking out the window at the snow blowing by, I might as well start on the Extreme 330! I have a 330 with the OS 50 SX 2C on the nose, & will be putting a Saito 72 on this one.

Will Spring never get here...............Sniff....Sniff
Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM
sfsjkid

Ever since Tower put the SS 6EX on their site, I almost pulled the trigger several times, especially with the larger discounts. I was a "good boy" and decided to wait until they had something for my 9z. The delivery date got extended from mid-March to late April while I was procrastinating, which helped in the non-buy decision. I happened to go to the LHS to make a purchase for our club, and was surprized to see them have some in stock. That was the last straw and I had to have one. Maybe the makings of a good Twilight Zone episode?

Anyways, out here in sunny California, where the flying season never ends, I've already had a chance to fly the SS radio in my fast electric BD-5 (perfect for this since the prop is in back, and don't need to route the antenna long the wing) and my Quique E-Yak 54. So far no problems. I had the BD-5 up about 800 feet, and the Yak in all sorts of orientations. So far the only things I miss are a timer activated on a stick, expo on the throttle, and the seventh channel, which is useful for dual aileron/elevator servo setups, but I think a mix might take care of this.

Sorry for getting long! I hope to have the radio installed in one of my 40 sized nitro birds by next weekend. I'll post an update if you're interested.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM
davis4130
My Feedback: (1)

I bought this TX and promptly returned it after I found it it is impossible to mix dual elevator servos (now standard on even .40 size planes). They removed the option to turn off the switches assigned to channel 5 and 6 and therefore even a custom mix won't work. I called the service center and they confirmed my findings. I think Futaba really goofed missing that one because so many planes require it now. I, too, am waiting for an integrated 9C * the best radio ever developed *
Old 03-19-2007, 01:30 PM
sfsjkid

Actually if you look at page 19 of the manual the switches can be inhibited. Since my last post, I too came to the conclusion that dual elevators are not possible with the radio only. I suspected this anyways knowing that that feature started on the 7C on up. I bought the SS radio anyways wanting to experiment with the new band, and fewer worries about being shot down on the occassions I fly at the park.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
FlyM

I received my 6EX 2.4 Friday. I installed it in an Excellron 50 and flew it Saturday. On Low power settings it ranged checked beyond 70 paces. Actullay had to turn off the transmitter and turn it back on because I ran out of time walking.

I flew again Sunday at a very large field...just in case....and flew it to the limits of visibility. I turned it down and rolled it, to get a flash from the wings for orientation, then flew it back. Some at the field could no longer see it when I turned around.. I couldn't either.

I am not worried about that part anymore!

Programming is not good. I don't think it even allows for mixing elevator to rudder to trim out knife edge. Well, you could, if you only knife edged one way

Anyway, I new most of this when I bought it. It will do for what I intended but I do want something comparable to a 9C or better.

Loyd
Old 03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got mine today.........realize now that i use to fly in the days where a 5 channel radio was big stuff, and the 2 birds i'm going to fly are for fun and i use to do knife edge the old fashion way......you know, fingers do the talkin. for all things considered, this is a fabulous radio for the price. the receiver is friggin unbelievable..........gotta be careful not to misplace the thing, it's that tiny.
i range checked mine a bit ago and had my son stand by the box while i walked almost half a block away.....still had range.
only thing i was ticked about was the TX battery was shown on the website where i bought as a 700mah. the one that came was a 600mah.........but as usuaul, the seller is making it right and sending me the 700mah.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 PM
summerwind

ok i have a question for new owners of this radio. when you turn the transmitter on, how long does it take for the LED on the back of the Tx to turn green?
in the house, mine takes up to 10-15 seconds........outside it's green in about 3 seconds........sound normal?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
chrisF test pilot

Do you have a cordless phone or wireless router in your house? It is probably normal if there is lots of noise.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 PM
summerwind

yes we do have all those............thanks. the wireless router isn't even needed anymore..............so you know it's goin
ORIGINAL: chrisF test pilot

Do you have a cordless phone or wireless router in your house? It is probably normal if there is lots of noise.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:54 PM
chrisF test pilot

It wont hurt anything so I wouldnt worry with it unless you just want to.