Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex Royal Evo 9 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM
tag-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiplex Royal Evo 9 Questions

Are there any differences between the earlier and the newer Evo 9's? I hear what a great sailplane radio this is, so what about airplanes?
Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 02:22 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Multiplex Royal Evo 9 Questions

Tag:

Don't know about early vs late as I didn't know there was such an animal. However, I flew an EVO 9 synth for close to 3 years for powered airplanes. Flew electrics, glow and gas with differing configurations. Dual ailerons, dual elevators, flaps, delta wing with dual rudders also used as airbrakes, flaperons, etc. Handled it all well and never had a problem. I haven't flown with it in a year as it is now my "back up" for a Futaba 12 Z.

My experience...

Dan
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 AM
XFLY-ER
My Feedback: (2)

tag I think that the only difference in the Evo's is in the software. So if you happen to get an "older" radio you can update the software by downloading it from the Multipex website & using their computor to radio cable.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

DANT, would you care to enlighten us on why you chose the FUT 12Z intstead of an EVO 12?
I am shopping for a new radio and have an EVo7
Old 03-24-2007, 04:09 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Swampflier-

Why I chose the Futaba 12Z when I never ever had a problem with the EVO and it did everything I wanted it to do?? Oh boy, how DOES one go about justifying the 12Z?

First thing was that I wanted to fly PCM and obviously the 12Z can handle that while the EVO does not. The one thing on the EVO that I had a hard time adjusting to (never did totally) was the different position for the primary channel trim buttons. I was never comfortable with that and there were many times I actually looked down at the Tx while flying and inputting trim adjustments. Probably most other EVO user's got used to it or never had a problem to begin with. I DID NOT like the two sliders on the EVO being on the front of the case. I much prefer the two sliders on the back sides of the case as the 12Z has which can be activated without taking my thumbs from the sticks. With the EVO I had a 20 model memory while the 12Z gives me 25 plus I have the flash card which increases that to over 200. NO, I do not have 200 plus aircraft! I do use the card to store back-up copies of current aircraft and configurations and I can (and do) make numerous "save copies" of a configuration while I am trying different programming scenarios. Software updates on the 12Z are done by copying the update from my PC to a Flash Card then uploading to the 12Z from the flash card. The EVO uses a cable connection and, while I am sure it works just fine (I never did a software upgrade) my preference is using the simplicity of a flash card (plus, I can easily share configurations with other 12Z users). I also prefer the removable antenna on the 12Z that stores in the base. I am (or was) on my third EVO antenna (don't ask). I liked the fact that the 12Z had a Lion battery and could be recharged in 3 hours or less using the standard supplied Futaba charger.

Now comes the rather silly part (probably). I actually like the way the 12Z looks and feels over the EVO and I realize that is a highly personal opinion. I also like the physical way the 12Z programs over the EVO with regard to the "keystrokes" and method required to accomplish the programming. I never really liked the EVO manual that well and the private party tutorial helped some. I actually hate the Futaba manual also as from a practical programming standpoint it is (to me) basically worthless!! By the way, reading both manuals and the EVO Tutorial one would think that the most common use for a computer transmitter is flying "full house" sailplanes and heli's!

Function wise both radios share similarities which I think are excellent. They are basically "any switch (or widget) to any function". There is no "flap switch" or "spoiler switch" on either system. I some cases (simple aircraft) the EVO is probably easier to setup than the 12Z thanks to the "templates".

Plus (and this may be the REAL reason after all) I decided that I just wanted the 12Z and had to have it so I got it. Period. RC is my hobby and I tend to indulge myself in it as much as I can.

My personal reasons may well be insufficient for anyone attempting to make a real value driven hard decision between the two systems. There is one other item that has just sprung it head recently and that is "SS 2.4". I am on the order list at the LHS for a module and receiver. Nothing for the EVO YET in this area. I am going to install the Spektrum in my TF 1/5 scale P51 I am starting to build. Since I will be using a gas engine and electric retracts I shouldn't have to worry about any inside interference. At least that was the "logic" I used when I order the unit.

Oh, just to show that one does not have to mail order everything from Tower Hobbies (and I am NOT knocking Tower - I use them at times myself) but my LHS (Model Works) got me the radio for $1,399 out the door (yes, sales tax included). When they called and I went to pick up the radio they had charged the battery, made sure the radio booted up and that nothing appeared broken or missing and there were no dings or scratches. Had there been anything wrong, they would have returned it and gotten another one and I would not have had to bother with that at all. (Just a plug for my LHS and I realize many people do not have a real LHS available).

Not sure this was really helpful.

Dan