Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9Z antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:56 PM
A Betancourt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba 9Z antenna

I have a Futaba 9Z radio and the antenna waggles when extended, it locks in place but it moves a lot, the radio range checks perfect I Usally check it upt to 100 m and at this distance it works solid, but I want to know how much waggle is normal and if there is a quick way of fixing it, I dont want to send the radio to Futaba because just the shipping cost would be around $100.

Thank you.

Alfredo
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9Z antenna

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/9z-manual-a.pdf On page 20 it shows how to tighten the tension of the antenna...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
A Betancourt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you but that is for tightening the tension on the ball swivel, in my radio the antenna body waggles inside the ball.

In the 9Z the antenna is loose inside a tube and when you extract it the base of the antenna locks in the ball but in my radio it waggle a bit although it locks in the extended position.

Regards,

Alfredo
Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
skydiver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 9Z antenna can be replaced with a bit of careful work. However, it's possible the clips that hold the antenna in place might be worn and losing tension. If this is the case I would suggest sending it to Tower or Radio South.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:54 AM
MalcolmL

Hi skydiver - thanks for the info about antennas. Do you have an email or website for Radio South ? Thanks. MalcolmL
Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 AM
skydiver

Here is Radio South's web site http://www.radiosouthrc.com/

good luck
Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
MalcolmL

Thanks skydiver - I've emailed Radio South. MalcolmL
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
ncrego
My Feedback: (40)

If the problem is in the antenna itself, and not in the mechanism in the transmitter, it's not very difficult to replace yourself. Just buy the antenna (it's the same as the 9c), remove the battery from the TX and in the top middle of the battery compartment you'll see a little hole. Stick the appropriate sized hex in that hole and into the screw (I forget the size, so you'll have to experiment), and with the antenna fully collapsed into the transmitter you can hold the screw at the bottom of it still with the hex wrench and unscrew the antenna. Hold the screw in place with the hex wrench, and screw the new antenna on. The key is to not remove the scew and to hold it in place, otherwise you'll be taking apart the TX to fish it out and get it back in place.