RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 9C and 6 volts?

Old 02-17-2003, 03:25 AM
Joe Casey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default futaba 9C and 6 volts?

I was recently putting a new giant scale Edge 540 through the test phase, and kept getting a Fail safe which was set to run my throttle down to fast idle...after landing, I put both an ammeter on the servos to determine if there was a problem there, but none seemed to be drawing excessively, so i put a votlmeter on the receiver. It read pretty much full battery voltage, (5.2 volts) but when all servos were activated at once, the voltage fell to about 3.6v which was, I assume, the reason for the fail safe activation..... Now, the real question....I then put a 6 volt battery in the airplane, and both the ailerons and elevators went dead!!! I tried everything, all to no avail, the ailerons ( with separate 8411's and elevators with the same) were simply dead... no power to them at all. When I put the old 4.8 pack back everything worked again... what gives...anyone had similar probs?
Old 02-17-2003, 03:28 AM
Flyfalcons

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What receiver?
Old 02-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Sonic358

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you using any reversing y's?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:24 AM
Joe Casey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba and 6 volts

I originally had a Futaba 129 DP PCM, but after talking to Mike Stokes at Futaba Customer service, he said that he thought that I needed to put a 149 receiver in it. I did that, and flew the airplane on 4.8 volts, with no failsafe activation. But just as an experiment, after landing, I put the 6 volt battery back in it, and ALL servos went completely dead!!
by the way, I am using a servo reverser on one of the elevators....
Old 02-18-2003, 03:31 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How many servo's are you running? Have you checked the voltage drop after testing the servo's one at a time and seeing if you have a bigger drop on one? It could be a short somewhere, or a couple servo's could be binding at full travel. What capacity battery are you using? Bigger capacity cells tend to have less of a voltage drop (to a point) You may want to try running two packs in parallel. That kind of a voltage drop is pretty extreme.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:40 AM
Joe Casey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 9C and 6 volts

I am using 6 JR 8411's .... one on each wing, one on each elevator half, and 2 on the rudder. I am using 2, 1200 mah 4.8volt packs in parallel, with 2 switches. (throttle is a Futaba 9202). When I put an ammeter on each servo, at rest they were drawing about a half an amp. when fully deflected, and held by hand to simultate an air load, they were drawing about an amp each.
I suppose that the rudder servos could be fighting each other as they are the only ones ganged together. Tomorrow, I will try to determine if they are.