RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

To Cold To Fly

Old 02-18-2003, 03:01 PM
ALbert.S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default To Cold To Fly

When does the equipment stop working? I checked the spec sheet on some Hitec receivers and there is no temp operating range given.The old Kraft AM sheet says 0-140 I have flown at 17degrees using Kraft equipment.And a few years back in Arizona A guy told me when it get to 100 and you taxi out on the blacktop where it's probably much higher temp the receiver quits.But what fails first ?The batteries or the receiver in the cold.I think the receiver fails before the betteries.The Ni-Cad has a low internal resistance so it should continue to perform in the cold.Has anyone got any data on battery performance?
Old 02-18-2003, 03:51 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default radio

I have flown when it was --10 no wind blowing and over a 100 which does not happen offen . Never had a problem With the old Krafts Fut JR and the new radios. Only thing is in cold batteries run down faster
Old 02-19-2003, 12:47 AM
JLB
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default To Cold To Fly

jetranger's got it right. I've flown in some pretty bad weather over the years and have never experienced radio problems. Just keep a careful eye on the batteries when it's real cold. I don't experience those problems any more as the radios are fine but my poor old bod doesn't tolerate the extremes worth a darn so I stay home.