Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Digital servo with PPM(FM) receiver

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Silentbob343

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital servo with PPM(FM) receiver

I was looking at going with a digital servo but heard that there can be problems when used with a PPM receiver. Is there any truth to this?

My receiver is a GWS Pico 75mhz:
http://cgi.ebay.com/GWS-R4P-II-PICO-...QQcmdZViewItem

Tx is a Futaba 4YF, surface:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXEFJ4**&P=ML
Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Digital servo with PPM(FM) receiver

Why would there be a problem with ppm? I don't think it matters if its ppm or pcm to a digital servo. I could be wrong but I've never encountered a problem using digitals..
Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts

The receiver doesn't know or care what kind of servos are hooked up to it, even pcm data is decoded and sent as an analog signal to the servo regardless of servo type so to answer your question, no there's no issues.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Silentbob343

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The receiver doesn't know or care what kind of servos are hooked up to it, even pcm data is decoded and sent as an analog signal to the servo regardless of servo type so to answer your question, no there's no issues.
Thanks it seemed like internet FUD, but wanted to double check.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:11 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Yes this is true, however:
The pulses sent to the servo and the pulse generated in the servo are all synchronized when you use analog servos. Any noise generated by the servo pulse will not be noticed by the receiver as it is busy generating a pulse. Not so when using digital servos. In the digital servo many more pulses are generated that are completely unsynchronized with the rest of the system. These pulses may be coupled back to the receiver and cause jitter in the receiver output. It would just depend on how well filtered the servo is. A good reason to buy quality servos.
This jitter would go unnoticed with the PCM system but its still there
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

There is a problem with one of the Futaba PPM receivers and Hitec digital servos but it isn't because of PPM. It has something to do with the amount of current the receiver can put out on the signal line of the servo.