RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

That's it, never buying from Tower again...

Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Lt. Dan
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default That's it, never buying from Tower again...

I placed an order Friday morning from Tower Hobbies, I do business with these guys a lot and it has always been good, until now.

I ordered a trainer cord, servos, and a muffler. I needed the trainer cord by today, 2-18 to do some flying with a friend as he is only in town a couple days out of the month. Anyways, the order was like $100 and I ordered overnight shipping for $28.00. Well, after placing the order, they tell me it won't be here until the 18th.. (I have ordered from them on Friday in the past and got my stuff on Saturday, but in this case, they didn't even fill the order until Sunday).

So, Monday, I get a tracking number, its been picked up by FedEx (remember, this is Monday). The package is guaranteed at my door by 3pm Tuesday.

Well, guess what, nothing shows up. The scan shows my package is still in Indy. As far as I know, when I left work last night, all of our planes got out of Indy into Memphis OK.

So, I write Tower this email to see what they'd say:

----------------------------------------------------

I placed an order through your website early Friday morning, Feb 14th. I
paid for 1-day express shipping as I needed the items by Tuesday, Feb 18th.
I was charged $28.00 for shipping and sent a confirmation email with FedEx
tracking number 492314968177 which was guaranteed to be at my door by 3pm on
Feb 18. I DID NOT RECEIVED MY ORDER and I am very unhappy. I would like a
refund of my shipping charges. Tower Hobbies has excellent prices, but if
Tower can't get my 1-Day Express package to my door FIVE DAYS after I
ordered it, I might as well pay a little extra to get it from my local hobby
shop.

---------------------------

I asked for a refund of my shipping because we (FedEx) have a money back guarantee on late express packages.

Here was the response a few minutes later:

---------------------------------------------

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies. we apologize for the delay in receiving
your order, however most likely the reason this was delayed was due to
severe weather over the weekend. Unfortunately we do not reimburse for this
which is considered an act of god. We do sincerely apologize and if your
package does not arrive by tomorrow please contact us and will begin a trace
for you. Once again we sincerely apologize. We appreciate your time and your
business with us.

-Tower Hobbies
http://www.towerhobbies.com/
LLB
------------------------------------------------------------

OK, BS... basically they say **** you...so my reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for writing. How could my packaged be delayed 'most likely' due to
sever weather over the weekend when it wasn't shipped until MONDAY? This is
an assumption on your part, not a fact.

Regardless, if Tower can so easily tell me 'too bad - not our fault' after I
have spent nearly $1000.00 with your company in the past three months, then
I an no longer a Tower Customer.

Nice doing business with you,

I guess I'm not a big enough spender to warrant some kind of effort on their part to make me happy, either refunding my shipping, offering my free shipping on my next order..something, anything...

I don't know, maybe they're just too big to care.

Am I wrong to be upset? Its been five days since I ordered....
Old 02-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Lt. Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tower's response:

Thank you for writing Tower Hobbies. We have called Fed-Ex in this matter and have found that it has unfortunately been delayed due to weather in Memphis. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and do appreciate your business with us. We appreciate your time with us.

So...they have just told me that they would rather lose a customer than refund $27.99... goodbye tower.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:57 PM
rc bugman
My Feedback: (30)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Up to a couple of years ago, I was spending thousands of dollars at Tower each year with my Univ. research project. Similar actions to what is happening to you prompted me to spread out my purchases from other vendors (which is much easier today on the web). Today, I am lucky to purchase a couple of hundred of dollars of RC stuff from tower. With a little effort, you can use the competition and receive the same or lower prices. I have. Tower and Great Planes need some competition so I do my best to spread my purchasing power around.

Elson
Old 02-19-2003, 12:13 AM
tdriver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by rc bugman
......Tower and Great Planes need some competition so I do my best to spread my purchasing power around.
Elson

any links available??
Old 02-19-2003, 12:47 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There's a possibility that some decisions made by lower levels are not transparent to the upper management at Tower. If there's a way to forward this to the upper management, it will be interesting to see their response, i.e. whether the thinking at the higher level stinks as well. AMC ??
Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lt. Dan,

You need to call Tower back and ask for a supervisor. I'm sure that they will do SOMETHING....I know how it is to buy in Memphis. Since Lester and Action Hobbies quit doing business our hobby in the Memphis area has never been the same. Lester would bend over backwards to help you. I, as well as others, took all that for granted. Guys---If you have a GREAT hobby shop in your area...support him!!!

Kevin
Old 02-19-2003, 01:27 AM
tahende

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lt. Dan, funny you should have this complaint. I have placed numurous order duing the 4th quarter and it wasn't until my last order on Feb 8 that they pissed me off. I order 3 servos (one of those qty discount deals) and that was all!! It took them 5 days to ship my order!! I placed an order around Thanksgiving and my order was shipped the next day ($300 order). I think they are having some customer service issues which need to be addressed soon or they will lose me 2. Any suggestions of other good online companies?

Don't give up!
Old 02-19-2003, 01:39 AM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dave Redden of Quantum Hobbies

Try http://www2.mailordercentral.com/quantummodels/ They're great and friendly ! Check out the company's history. Tower Hobbies bought over Omnimodels from Dave in 1992. Quantum was established by Dave because he believes in good customer service.........
Old 02-19-2003, 01:41 AM
Lt. Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Kevin Greene
Lt. Dan,

You need to call Tower back and ask for a supervisor. I'm sure that they will do SOMETHING....I know how it is to buy in Memphis. Since Lester and Action Hobbies quit doing business our hobby in the Memphis area has never been the same. Lester would bend over backwards to help you. I, as well as others, took all that for granted. Guys---If you have a GREAT hobby shop in your area...support him!!!

Kevin
I hear you. I am always for supporting the local hobby shops. I spend an equal amount of money at Hobby Town in Germantown, Carl is great and when he sees you repeatedly at the cash register he starts to throw things your way. I like that. I also love Ron's shop in Millington, but its just too far of a drive for me. I have always like Tower because they're like Wal Mart, they have just about everything, but after today, forget them. I'll go to the hobby shops again. We lost a good day of flying today because we didn't have the buddy cord, which , unfortunately was not available at the local shops.

I also am not happy with Tower telling me it was the weather in Memphis that called the delay. I work in the Aircraft Maintenance Operations Control Center for FedEx... we didn't have any planes take delays for Memphis weather last night. I can't believe Tower just tells me to shove off... I am going to try to contact a supervisor.

On a good note, my shipment did make it into our hub, so I should have it in the morning, but the weather is crap for the rest of the week and my friend goes back on the road this weekend...its just too bad.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Lt. Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by tahende
Lt. Dan, funny you should have this complaint. I have placed numurous order duing the 4th quarter and it wasn't until my last order on Feb 8 that they pissed me off. I order 3 servos (one of those qty discount deals) and that was all!! It took them 5 days to ship my order!! I placed an order around Thanksgiving and my order was shipped the next day ($300 order). I think they are having some customer service issues which need to be addressed soon or they will lose me 2. Any suggestions of other good online companies?

Don't give up!
I have placed about six orders with Tower since November (which is the first time I started using them) and I have never had a problem until now. Last month I ordered some parts last minute at about 6am on a Friday morning and they had it to my door the next afternoon. The local hobby shops are pretty close in prices anyways.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:59 AM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hate to tell you this Dan, but stuff like this happens hundreds of times every day, there's nothing you can do about it but keep a cool head and keep on the phone VERY politely asking for managers and trying to get something done, and if you can ask them to file an official complaint and then walk away, getting frustrated about it is just a bad idea. Trust me I know, I had a UPS over night guaranteed delivery by 10am take 10 days to get to me. I spent roughly an hour on the phone each and every day talking to people about why my package was taking so long, it took most of the rest of that week but I finally got a full refund of the shipping price. Getting indignant about those things will just raise your blood pressure and just end badly. The more polite you are and the more time you spend patiently the better the results you'll get, I've never once had a problem getting a refund in situations like this by simply being persistent. In the end it's no skin off their back to write off a few bucks at cost to keep a customer happy and shopping, if you do it right.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Lt. Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Lynx
Hate to tell you this Dan, but stuff like this happens hundreds of times every day, there's nothing you can do about it but keep a cool head and keep on the phone VERY politely asking for managers and trying to get something done, and if you can ask them to file an official complaint and then walk away, getting frustrated about it is just a bad idea. Trust me I know, I had a UPS over night guaranteed delivery by 10am take 10 days to get to me. I spent roughly an hour on the phone each and every day talking to people about why my package was taking so long, it took most of the rest of that week but I finally got a full refund of the shipping price. Getting indignant about those things will just raise your blood pressure and just end badly. The more polite you are and the more time you spend patiently the better the results you'll get, I've never once had a problem getting a refund in situations like this by simply being persistent. In the end it's no skin off their back to write off a few bucks at cost to keep a customer happy and shopping, if you do it right.

$28.00 isn't worth my effort, I needed the merchandise today. I let my wallet do the talking, they blew me off (which I expected from a larger mail order company) so I'm blowing them off and taking my money elsewhere, simple enough. I just don't like being lied to. I work for FedEx, I see first hand how much frieght we lose daily. One late plane in LAX that misses the night sort into MEM and you're talking thousands of unhappy customers... it happens, and I don't have a problem with that. I do, however have a problem with Tower not CARING that my package didn't get to me on the date that I paid for...
Old 02-19-2003, 02:07 AM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 2 P's

I agree with Lynx. Use the 2 P method - politeness and persistence. Things get done that way.........
Old 02-19-2003, 04:09 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Re: 2 P's

Originally posted by rajul
I agree with Lynx. Use the 2 P method - politeness and persistence. Things get done that way.........
Hi Rajul,
I did just that .TH gave me many problems and I spent over $2,000.00 since mid Nov.
I spoke with Barbara Thompson in customer care dept.
I received a new prebuilt tote box,my servo and have a brand new wing coming.
They shipped the wing today.
Not to many LHS in my area so I don't have much of a choice and TH has just about everything I need,
But not making good on an overnight shippment is not fair .Just my 2 cents
Old 02-19-2003, 04:21 AM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey whirleybird, you made a big big mistake ! Do not, I repeat, do not post actual spending figures here !! Your wife may be "accidentally" browsing RCU too, or she may be right behind you while posting, and it's real bad news if she finds out End of hobby. LOL !
Old 02-19-2003, 04:55 AM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

back when I was younger my dad used to order parts from tower hobby. Then they did the same thing as you and refused to pay back... Your better off IMO... they just jack there prices to high anyways.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:42 AM
RCP57
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I do as little business as possible with Tower Hobbies / Omni Models. Mainly because their customer service SUCKS! They state that it can take as long as 2-3 business days to fill your order and get it on its way to you. Whenever I order anything from these stores I put it point blank to the rep on the phone, "If you can not ship my order today then keep it". They can tell you right then and there if it will ship the same day. If they can't then cancel the order and move on.

The other thing you should never do is rely 100% on UPS, FedEx, USPS, or any carrier to get the job done. If you absolutely need it on Wednesday, then next day air it on Monday, and call the order in as soon as they open the phone lines. I ship around 130 packages a day, five days a week, mostly with UPS. They donít count weekends, it is only business days, and to be honest they do a pretty good job. Iím not trying to defend the carrier, but they can not control weather delays at the airport where all air service starts. Should they refund your money, yes, and they will if you scream loud enough.

I also do Internet sales. All the Internet sales are downloaded first thing in the morning, Monday through Friday. So if you order an item at 10:00AM I will not even see the order until the next day. If you place the order during the day on Friday I will not see it until the following Monday. The Internet is a very poor way to conduct urgent business when it comes to mail order companies. Plus putting your credit card info across the net is very risky. If you need it fast then pick up the phone and strangle a human.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:00 AM
Lt. Dan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by RCpilot77084
I do as little business as possible with Tower Hobbies / Omni Models. Mainly because their customer service SUCKS! They state that it can take as long as 2-3 business days to fill your order and get it on its way to you. Whenever I order anything from these stores I put it point blank to the rep on the phone, "If you can not ship my order today then keep it". They can tell you right then and there if it will ship the same day. If they can't then cancel the order and move on.

The other thing you should never do is rely 100% on UPS, FedEx, USPS, or any carrier to get the job done. If you absolutely need it on Wednesday, then next day air it on Monday, and call the order in as soon as they open the phone lines. I ship around 130 packages a day, five days a week, mostly with UPS. They donít count weekends, it is only business days, and to be honest they do a pretty good job. Iím not trying to defend the carrier, but they can not control weather delays at the airport where all air service starts. Should they refund your money, yes, and they will if you scream loud enough.

I also do Internet sales. All the Internet sales are downloaded first thing in the morning, Monday through Friday. So if you order an item at 10:00AM I will not even see the order until the next day. If you place the order during the day on Friday I will not see it until the following Monday. The Internet is a very poor way to conduct urgent business when it comes to mail order companies. Plus putting your credit card info across the net is very risky. If you need it fast then pick up the phone and strangle a human.
I disagree with you, the internet is a great way to get your merchandise quickly. It depends on who you are dealing with. I have previously ordered on Friday mornings from Tower and got my merchandise on Saturday. When I placed the order, the computer told me it would not ship until Monday, that was fine with me, but if you charge for overnight shipping, it better get there.

Its too bad Tower reps don't browse these boards.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:07 AM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Lt. Dan
Its too bad Tower reps don't browse these boards.
You wanna bet ? You could email this thread link to them. I've done this before and it helps, if the majority is for ya..........
Old 02-19-2003, 07:13 AM
Whirley Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hehehehehehehe Hey rajul,
Diane is a Girl friend and She has the Money.
That money I spent came from her.
When I see her in the morning i'll make sure I remember to tell her that *YOU* said I need another $3,000.00 worth of RC goodies
Old 02-19-2003, 07:19 AM
rajul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does Diane have a sister ?? Just kidding........You're one lucky guy. Does she fly with ya ?
Old 02-19-2003, 07:35 AM
Whirley Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your righjt rajul,
I don't remember the thread but they responded to me here on RCU.
The person had 700+ post.
Also the Girls who answer the phone are aware of this site and read many of the threads.
I hear a lot of good and a lot of bad but sometimes you just have to step back and see how many orders they take each day.
Some will mess up.
But I back up the person who lost the $$$$ on the 1 day shipping he lost.
TH took his money and he never received the service.He should be at the least given credit to the account.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Whirley Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does Diane have a sister ?? Just kidding........You're one lucky guy. Does she fly with ya ?
Yeah,
And a nice looking one also.
Well she flies because Shes a flight nurse and has a rotor craft rating.
Thats why she has the $$$$
Old 02-19-2003, 08:13 AM
ShoestringRacer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey RCpilot. how do you expect for them to always be able to get your order out that same day you call. it is a huge company with thousands of orders, or at least hundreds every day. that is a little ridiculus.

sure, i have had orders sent that same day, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days to get it out the door. usually 2. and that is pretty good i think. 3 is too long, but the same day always is a little too demanding for a company that size and busy.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Whirley Bird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by ShoestringRacer
TH has a special department that handels ONLY 1 and 2 day delivery.
What good is a overnight service if it takes three days to get the carrier to pick it up or the packer three days to get it boxed up?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service