Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Triton wants to false peak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 AM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triton wants to false peak

Greetings,

I have a Triton charger that is about 2 years old. Ever since day one it has had a tendency to quit charging early, sometimes after only a few minutes or less. The worst offender is on the single cell glow drivers, but it also quits very early sometimes on the 4 cell rx packs too. (these are all Nimh types) If I restart it a time or two it will usually go ahead and give a full charge.

Perhaps I should have sent it back when it was still new....? Anyone else have a Triton that tends to do this?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Triton wants to false peak

If your connecting cords are also as old, check them for dirty or damaged connections, corrosion etc. A faulty connection, leads that are to long, corrosion etc. can all cause this type of problem.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Only time I've had mine do that is if I try to put too much amperage into the battery, i.e. more than 1C.

Even at 1C, if you let the battery sit for a bit and go back with a lower charge rate, it will charge some more. I think this happens as the Triton cycles through checking the charge state of the battery, it sees a fully charged condition from the battery as a result of the high charge rate creating a false/temporary reading from the battery.

That is what I believe happens when I selected the "auto" charge rate as I'd see some pretty high charge rates displayed in the middle of the charge cycle before it started cutting back. So I don't use that "auto" charge rate anymore...
Old 04-16-2007, 10:16 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

My Tritons have all been pretty good. How about seting the "peak delay at start" setting to a value higher than the time it takes to get past that point?

I think perhaps Rodney may have it nailed though as the connections problem might be worse as the number of cells goes down.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks guys, I'll check that Peak Delay at Start setting and see how it goes.

I never use the auto setting and only charge at .5 amp or less.

Even with single cell glow drivers you guys have no problem fals peaking I guess?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-16-2007, 02:18 PM
chrisF test pilot

With nimh you may have to go into the menu and raise the peak detect sensitivity. It goes down to three, but I usually had to set mine between 6 and 8 for it not to false peak on nimh packs. Also like said before, use good leads and make sure connections are good.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Your rate of 1/2 amp sounds good and if it usually acts up in the early stages then you can even set the peak delay to about 10 minutes and still be safe. I charge singles (and many others) and have no troubles unless I'm doing a very old worn out problematic battery that actually drops voltage as it gets charged. It will give any peak detection charger fits including the Triton.

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Thanks guys, I'll check that Peak Delay at Start setting and see how it goes.

I never use the auto setting and only charge at .5 amp or less.

Even with single cell glow drivers you guys have no problem fals peaking I guess?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
BocaBen

I have the same problem of early stop while charging. I think it has to do with the peak sensitivity and the quality of the connections. A drop of 0.015V on a single 1.2V cell is minuscule and any slight connection problem will create it. Simply moving a cable, connector or sometime just breathing on it might do it ;>)

For me, the Triton is only good for discharging batteries!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Well, I've checked connections, even shortened up the lead for the glow driver charging to about 6", etc., but with no luck. It's only good for discharging for me too, but it's all I have for the glow driver so I just keep starting it over and over until it finally keeps going. On the glow driver though, the center terminal may get a little castor oil on it from being in contact with the plug. I'll try cleaning that again.

I wonder if a few of the Triton's like mine should have been returned for repair or warrenty?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 PM
STG
My Feedback: (26)

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Well, I've checked connections, even shortened up the lead for the glow driver charging to about 6", etc., but with no luck. It's only good for discharging for me too, but it's all I have for the glow driver so I just keep starting it over and over until it finally keeps going. On the glow driver though, the center terminal may get a little castor oil on it from being in contact with the plug. I'll try cleaning that again.

I wonder if a few of the Triton's like mine should have been returned for repair or warrenty?

Thanks,

Ernie

Mine is close to 2 year old also and has never been good with Nimh cells for charging. I charge lipo's with it and discharge Nimh with it. I do all my nimh charging with a cheap XXXSuperBrian.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Tailwheel Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

Ernie,
I have the same problem all the time.I turn down the charge rate and try again.It takes a few tries and then it charges fully.I guess we just live with it.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:56 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for info I charge NIMH all the time. Also single cell glow igniter NICD. I did chnge the peak detect time to 10 minutes and I charge conservatively 2100mah at 600mah. Has worked fine. Good luck!

I did have one problem with one pack recently. Tried and tried!@ It went into the round file after several tries at charging and discharging. My first real bad pack (3-4 years old)