Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Why do my Hitec servos have more travel than my Futaba's

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why do my Hitec servos have more travel than my Futaba's

Old 02-21-2003, 12:44 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do my Hitec servos have more travel than my Futaba's

I was doing a speed test with a Fut 148 and Hitec 425 "racing" on channel 5 using a y harness. I noticed the 148 always beat the 425 but looking closer I noticed the 425 was rotating farther than the 148

I cranked up the ATV to120% and found that the 148 will only travel about 120deg end to end and the 425 traveled about 160deg end to end (by eye). Why does the 425 travel farther

Seems good for 3D planes with large throws.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The amount of throw is controlled by the potentiometer and two resistors inside the servo. The pot has a resistor on either end, one going to ground, the other to the positive rail. It is the ratio of these two fixed resitors to the resistance of the pot that controls the amount of throw. Just resitor tolerances and pot tolerances can make a difference.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:27 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

So I guess different brand servos are designed to have different amounts of travel all else being equal.

I never took this into consideration when selecting servos. Apparently I can get a larger maximum travel out of a 425 than a 148 (I saw it with my own eyes).