Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo leads

Old 04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Kirkyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo leads

Hi,

Am slightly confused about the different types of servo lead. Have always used Futaba systems but am now starting to use Hitec and JR but understand that the is a difference in the leads that they use?

Who use what, and what is the difference?
Thanks

Paul
Old 04-22-2007, 02:56 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Servo leads

ORIGINAL: Kirkyboy Hi, Am slightly confused about the different types of servo lead. Have always used Futaba systems but am now starting to use Hitec and JR but understand that the is a difference in the leads that they use? Who use what, and what is the difference?
Thanks Paul
Servo leads pictured and explained
much more under "Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." on my web page.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 04-22-2007, 02:58 PM
rctrax

I use whatever I have at hand. All you do is make sure that the wires are correct for your system. Almost always the red [for positive] is the center with ground on the side with signal on other side. Most plugs are compatable nowadays with the only difference being Futaba which has a tab for orientation which can be removed so then it will fit the others[hitec,JR,air Z universal etc.] and the others will fit it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:01 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Red is positive and is in the center position. For JR, brown is ground and goes on outside edge of receiver and yellow is com. Hitec uses black for ground and yellow for com.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
tyr2473

Does anyone know how to make servos move in the same direction when using y-leads?
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM
carrellh

There are "reversing" y harnesses available.
JR makes many of their servos in normal and reverse rotation configurations. They're sold as model ### and ###R
Old 09-20-2007, 01:50 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: tyr2473

Does anyone know how to make servos move in the same direction when using y-leads?
If you plug 2 of the same model servo into a Y-lead they (output shafts) will both turn the same direction. No trick required.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
tyr2473

So its not something I can setup in thr trany?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transmitter setup won't do that on a Y lead, both servos get the same control info.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:06 PM
pupmeister

So its not something I can setup in thr trany?
Depending on your transmitter, you should be able to do it via mixing separate channels together and reversing the individual channels. Most computer radios are capable of doing this in one form or another.

Cheers
Pupmeister
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 PM
bruce88123

Make that read: SOME computer radios. can do that.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:33 PM
tyr2473

Yeah I've done that, but it takes one extra channel to do it. I just finished installing flaps into my hanger 9 corsair. My seagull sea fury is going to have real problems! It apparently needs two y-leed setups. One for the elevators, and the other for the flaps! The thing is Bruce. When I did install the y-leed, although both servos were of the same model futaba 3003s they didn't move in the same direction. I'll have to use servos that travel in opposite dieections.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
pilotpete2

When I did install the y-leed, although both servos were of the same model futaba 3003s they didn't move in the same direction.
Oh yes they are
The servo rotation is the same, but the linkage or orientation of the servos is the problem.
With the flaps the servos must be oriented so that either the arms or shafts are pointed towards one wingtip, not mirror imaged as is the norm for aileron hook up, you should not need to reverse a servo for flaps or use a reversing "Y" harness for flaps.
Dual elevator servos, that's another issue, there it may be hard or impossible to get the linkages right, so either 2 channels or a reversing "Y" harness there.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 09-20-2007, 09:08 PM
bruce88123

Yeah I've done that, but it takes one extra channel to do it. I just finished installing flaps into my hanger 9 corsair. My seagull sea fury is going to have real problems! It apparently needs two y-leed setups. One for the elevators, and the other for the flaps! The thing is Bruce. When I did install the y-leed, although both servos were of the same model futaba 3003s they didn't move in the same direction. I'll have to use servos that travel in opposite dieections.
They have to. If you put the 2 servos down on a table side-by-side with the output SHAFTS on top and look straight DOWN on the you will see that BOTH SHAFTS rotate in the same direction.

Your problem is one of getting your linkages correct or that you need to reverse a servo direction from standard. This is common in many dual elevator applications and can be with flaps using dual elevators. In fact the Hangar 9 F-22 trainer specifically calls out to use a standard Y-lead AND one regular and one reverse servo for its flap installation. The alternative would be a reversing Y.

Look at the output arm and move the stick. You'll see the arm move clockwise for a certain stick movement. Now look at the other servo from a similar angle and move the stick in the same manner, the observed rotation should be as before.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:10 AM
tyr2473

Ok Thanks for the advice Guys.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]