Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Voltage drop in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 05:17 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voltage drop in cold weather?

Hi all,
I went out today to try out my new skis that I scratch built for my LT-40. It was about 15 above with 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches of snow on the ground up here in Conrad. Batteries were topped off. I can usually get an hour and a half of flight time with my LT-40 and Hitec Focus 4 radio with stock batts...above freezing. But today, My RX batts were good, but I watched my TX batts go from a full charge to 20% in less than 5 minutes.

Now we all know that TX batts will last 3 or so times longer than RX batts in normal conditions, at least, thats the way it's worked for me with this particular plane ( I know that trainers are different than, say, 60 size sport planes). So why did my TX batts die so fast? Is it the cold? I have noticed from my RC Car experience, that Nicads go dead quicker in cold weather, and I have always attributed that to chemical reaction to the cold. But still, the RX always went dead faster than the TX. Was I getting a faulty TX reading? As soon as I got back and put the equipment in my warm workshop, the TX batts showed full power. What gives?
Old 02-22-2003, 05:32 AM
Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to inspect the pack carefully. This should NOT happen at 15 degree's it's either a bum pack or it's a problem with the radio. I'm leaning more toward the idea of something in the radio being affected. Try checking it on an expanded scale volt meter, or a digital multimeter with a resistor shorted to simulate a watt or two load
Old 02-22-2003, 04:30 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in MN, we fly a lot in the cold and I've never had a problem like this with my packs. Sometimes I start with a lower voltage because of the cold, but the rate of discharge never changes. Thought you might like to know.

Reid